Mance news

techfan

29 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I said this a while back talking about mance retiring not moving and some Richlands fan basically told me no way it would happen....can't remember who it was

And since one of ours is no longer there. In not as big a blues fan as I was. And if wells does get it I will be less of one lol

I thought giving up 10s of thousands in salary to go to Richlands would be crazy but someone said money isn't everything. I guess he & his wife want to be near family. I also heard he was making a couple requests if he did come which one would involve in part creating a new position. I don't know if my buddy at high school knows what he's talking about but we'll see I guess. I'm also thinking he'd bring in some of his own people. I think one guy has been with him at Blacksburg & Mooresville. If that's not right, someone can correct me. 

From what I hear the money will be matched but he will take on more rolls than he currently is. Now he Coachs and teaches a weight lifting class before school in North Carolina. At Richlands he will coach, AD, and teach a subject. Also heard there will be coaching staff changes. He request to make his own staff with only 3 current coach's staying. That's the word on the street at Richlands high. 

I’m hearing a few others will be interviewed as well.  I’m certain that at least 2 staffers have applied.  I would think these guys will get a look. I can’t believe  that wells is a lock. He would have to move , take somewhat of a pay cut and possibly have more teaching responsibilities.  I assume there will be a couple of scenarios , one of which is continuing the  search if wells doesn’t get offered or accept the job . Other than wells who else is any one hearing is a strong candidate?

42 minutes ago, Tiger 2000 said:

I’m hearing a few others will be interviewed as well.  I’m certain that at least 2 staffers have applied.  I would think these guys will get a look. I can’t believe  that wells is a lock. He would have to move , take somewhat of a pay cut and possibly have more teaching responsibilities.  I assume there will be a couple of scenarios , one of which is continuing the  search if wells doesn’t get offered or accept the job . Other than wells who else is any one hearing is a strong candidate?

Wells has already been offered the position. Any other interview will be for incase he declines and for legal purposes.

3 hours ago, local_insight said:

From what I hear the money will be matched but he will take on more rolls than he currently is. Now he Coachs and teaches a weight lifting class before school in North Carolina. At Richlands he will coach, AD, and teach a subject. Also heard there will be coaching staff changes. He request to make his own staff with only 3 current coach's staying. That's the word on the street at Richlands high. 

If they're matching his coaching stipend in NC, I guess T. Palmer & J. Harris will be getting a raise. I heard  the subject he wanted to teach was weightlifting ALL day & not a traditional class. That would be technically a new position. If that were to happen, I would presume, Tazewell & Graham would also add such a position.  I can't imagine he'd want AD responsibilities. Heck from what I heard Ann Mance has been doing it all, I'd just let her keep it, lol since she's staying put. If they accept all his "requests" he'll be taking the helm. Which three coaches is he planning on keeping? 

8 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

If they're matching his coaching stipend in NC, I guess T. Palmer & J. Harris will be getting a raise. I heard  the subject he wanted to teach was weightlifting ALL day & not a traditional class. That would be technically a new position. If that were to happen, I would presume, Tazewell & Graham would also add such a position.  I can't imagine he'd want AD responsibilities. Heck from what I heard Ann Mance has been doing it all, I'd just let her keep it, lol since she's staying put. If they accept all his "requests" he'll be taking the helm. Which three coaches is he planning on keeping? 

Not sure who he will keep, just assume Ronnie Davis will be one. Davis went with him to Virginia High years ago when he was offensive coordinator.

20 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Heard there's 99% chance from someone at RHS that it's going to be Wells.  Now take it for what it's worth which probably isn't much, lol. The question is if it's Thad Wells, does he keep any of the current assistants if so, who? Or does he bring in his own people. 

I’d subtract a hefty percentage from that.  Of course Richlands would offer; they’d be dumb not to.  But there’s 0 justifiable reason besides “he’s from there” that’s he’d leave the Mooresville area.  Would be a massive coup to get him, but I wouldn’t assume this until it’s formally announced.

14 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I’d subtract a hefty percentage from that.  Of course Richlands would offer; they’d be dumb not to.  But there’s 0 justifiable reason besides “he’s from there” that’s he’d leave the Mooresville area.  Would be a massive coup to get him, but I wouldn’t assume this until it’s formally announced.

True, nothing is formal; some say Wells, some say Compton. I think application closes next week. They may "interview" and hire at the board meeting in March;  Definitely no later than April. 7 on 7s are in June so surely you want someone in place ASAP. 

On 2/29/2020 at 1:06 AM, Gridiron60 said:

where would the money come from? tazwell county have that kind of money??

11 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

where would the money come from? tazwell county have that kind of money??

Doesn't Richlands have a Booster Club ? All the schools I have been associated with, have one .

Been hearing that Wells was offered the HC along with the AD which will enhance his resume for the college level.  Also heard that he plans to stay in Richlands for at least five years before moving up to the college level.  If all this is true (and really who knows) I wish him and his family the best.  Also heard that he plans on keeping three of the Mance assistants and make changes to match his system.  Everything we hear is speculation and cannot be counted on until the final decision is made, of course.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

Question: If a person takes the HC and the AD position plus teach a class, does he get paid for both the HC and AD position? I know in the past schools had both HC and AD as single positions.  Just wondering??

They are separate positions.

5 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Question: If a person takes the HC and the AD position plus teach a class, does he get paid for both the HC and AD position? I know in the past schools had both HC and AD as single positions.  Just wondering??

Typically, the AD has several periods unencumbered to attend to AD related duties. Technically, they're getting a salary just like any other teacher with the same number years experience to teach half as many classes plus get AD stipend. Not a bad deal really but I guess it evens out because they have to be at home sporting events after hours. 

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Typically, the AD has several periods unencumbered to attend to AD related duties. Technically, they're getting a salary just like any other teacher with the same number years experience to teach half as many classes plus get AD stipend. Not a bad deal really but I guess it evens out because they have to be at home sporting events after hours. 

So if someone took the HC position combined with the AD position, I would imagine that would be a good rate of pay.  The work load of the AD would add time, but don't a lot of HC's do both, especially on the high school level?

2 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

So if someone took the HC position combined with the AD position, I would imagine that would be a good rate of pay.  The work load of the AD would add time, but don't a lot of HC's do both, especially on the high school level?

I don’t know about most schools. I know the Graham AD isn’t a coach to my knowledge. Someone else might have more knowledge than me about how the majority of schools handle the AD position. I would also think salary schedule for different positions is on the Tazewell County website or if not, should be.

On 3/3/2020 at 10:20 AM, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t know about most schools. I know the Graham AD isn’t a coach to my knowledge. Someone else might have more knowledge than me about how the majority of schools handle the AD position. I would also think salary schedule for different positions is on the Tazewell County website or if not, should be.

Excluding Bland, every school in the Mountain Empire and Three Rivers has a dedicated AD that does not coach. Bland very well could as well, I just don’t know about them.