Mance news

techfan

I know that rumor has Thad Wells as the new HC at Richlands with only retaining two present assistants, but has there been any official word on this hire, or the two assistants retained.  So far I am also hearing that this is all just rumors and no one has been decided on.  So any clarity on this would be good.

1 hour ago, Blue 72 said:

I know that rumor has Thad Wells as the new HC at Richlands with only retaining two present assistants, but has there been any official word on this hire, or the two assistants retained.  So far I am also hearing that this is all just rumors and no one has been decided on.  So any clarity on this would be good.

I think they're doing second interviews this week. I'm not sure who got second interviews but I'm sure it's just a formality to make sure i's are dotted & t's are crossed before officially offering Wells the position. 

The state requires an interview period.  All qualified candidates must be interviewed.  Interviews are not over.  Everything right now is just speculation.  The board met just 2 days ago, I would guess that the public won't know until at least the next meeting, next month.  Unless they hold a special board meeting.  To hold a special meeting over a football coach would be unusual.  As mentioned before, usually candidates are interviewed at the board office, send a few of their finalist to the school to be interviewed and the school Principal makes a decision and recommends to hire.  At least, that's what the process in most districts.  Would not at all be surprised if Wells ends up the coach, but need to let the process work itself out. There is no coach until approved at the School Board meeting.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The state requires an interview period.  All qualified candidates must be interviewed.  Interviews are not over.  Everything right now is just speculation.  The board met just 2 days ago, I would guess that the public won't know until at least the next meeting, next month.  Unless they hold a special board meeting.  To hold a special meeting over a football coach would be unusual.  As mentioned before, usually candidates are interviewed at the board office, send a few of their finalist to the school to be interviewed and the school Principal makes a decision and recommends to hire.  At least, that's what the process in most districts.  Would not at all be surprised if Wells ends up the coach, but need to let the process work itself out. There is no coach until approved at the School Board meeting.

I did see on the website of the Tazewell County school district website they did call for an special board meeting for the 26th. Could be related to the coach, could not be. 

The Tazewell County School Board will hold a Special Called School Board meeting on Thursday, March 26, 2020, at 9:00 a.m. at Central Office. The purpose of this meeting is for personnel (closed session) and for a budget work session (open session).”

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think they're doing second interviews this week. I'm not sure who got second interviews but I'm sure it's just a formality to make sure i's are dotted & t's are crossed before officially offering Wells the position. 

Thanks for the info, makes perfect sense and I appreciate your knowledge on this matter.  You know how it is with all this back and forth, and my how the rumors are flying, but that's not unusual especially given the subject.  Patience is a virtue that not a lot of us rabbit fans seem to have in naming a HC for the hometown team.

Word on Front Street in Richlands, Davis & Wells were two finalists and decision will be "official" at March 26th meeting. Wells has acquired a rental. I know this is all speculation but one simply doesn't rent a house unless one is relocating.  We'll definitely know soon though. Best wishes to whichever one gets it. Thankful something has kept football page a little active since it's normally dull during the winter months. 

On 3/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

Not sure I've ever heard of a state requirement of an interview period.  Many, many jobs are filled from within without opening them up.  

One thing I will say, in regards to our 2019 season...from the outside looking in he did a solid job keeping our kids focused through what was unquestionably the most difficult year of our football programs history. We kinda dropped the ball in the playoffs... but it happens. We took the current 4AA State Champs (highest class in NC) to a 20-14 OT loss at UNC Charlotte. We kept our head above water competing in the most difficult conference by a mile in NC. Should wells get this job back in VA, Mooresville will be highly sought after. 

Speculation around town is that Wells will be the new HC along with being the AD.  Someone close to the situation said he's projected to stay for at least five years, but Coach Mance only planned to be in the program for a year when he came to town, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. I feel the fan base will back whomever the HC turns out to be, but these fans can be very fickle if the program doesn't live up to expectations.  Mance leaves a large footprint, and the fans have become very use to having a good program, almost to the point of being spoiled, so hats off to the new (whoever) HC, wish them the best.

8 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

but Coach Mance only planned to be in the program for a year when he came to town

Excerpt from article in the Richlands News-Press dated 6/11/97 

"Mance's biggest concern is bringing stability to the program, which has fielded four coaching changes in Mance' seven years.  

"I didn't want to see some outsider come in and take over the program for two or three years and then move on," Mance said.  "Hopefully, I plan to be in this for the long haul, but those wins are what makes the difference."

"One key to Mance' success as a coach will be his familiarity with the students at Richlands High.

"I've had about every student at Richlands High School at one time or another  by teaching phys-ed at Richlands Middle School," said Mance.

Woodrow Mullins, Tazewell County Public School superintendent, believes Mance' on-and off-the field performances of the last seven years have created a strong coach for Richlands.

"I have complete confidence in him as a head coach," said Mullins.  "Every kid he's ever had in class or on the field loves him."

Mullins said the record Mance has established was one basis for hiring him as the coach.

"He's motivated, and he's held in high regard based on all his teaching experience," said Mullins.

Assistant Coaching Staff JV- Craig Barber, Pete Ball

Varsity Staff- John Hammond, Doug Addison, Dennis Palmer

Last year record (96) 4-6

District record 2-2

Lettermen returning: 9

Lettermen lost:  13

Info when Mance took over as coach in 97.  

1997 AA Region IV Football Divisions

School Enrollment Grades 10-12

Division 4

Carroll County      922

Richlands              861

Lee                       783

Abingdon              721

Grundy                 675

Marion                  645

Tazewell              590

Martinsville          587

Division 3

Magna Vista         585

Patrick Co            575

Virginia Hi            574

Bassett               551

Lebanon            496

Graham             494

Gate City          465

Fieldale-

Collinsville         420

Laurel Park        407

When Mance first arrived in Richlands as an assistant, his plan was to stay one year and then migrate back to Giles County, but as we all know, it didn't work out that way, and Richlands fans are all the more better for that situation.  We can have all the plans we want to have, but often plans change and we're glad his did. 

On 3/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Blue 72 said:

Speculation around town is that Wells will be the new HC along with being the AD.  Someone close to the situation said he's projected to stay for at least five years, but Coach Mance only planned to be in the program for a year when he came to town, so I guess we will just have to wait and see. I feel the fan base will back whomever the HC turns out to be, but these fans can be very fickle if the program doesn't live up to expectations.  Mance leaves a large footprint, and the fans have become very use to having a good program, almost to the point of being spoiled, so hats off to the new (whoever) HC, wish them the best.

Haven’t heard anything down here in my neck of the woods. But if Wells does get it, seems like a good move from a family perspective. 

10 minutes ago, MooresvilleBlueDevil06 said:

Is Richlands no good? Idk a thing about them

They’re good for Virginia 2A, but Charlotte area football is in another dimension.  Bluefield, WV, the winningest program in this area by any measure, played 5 games over 4 years against Charlotte Country Day and Charlotte Latin.  Bluefield went 0-3 against Charlotte Country Day, and only 1 of those games was close (2009, and they won the WV AA title that season).  Bluefield went 1-1 against Charlotte Latin (a 31-14 loss and a 61-37 win).  Bluefield would beat Richlands 4/5 of the time if the schools played that often.  That’s about the best comparison I can give.