Buchanan consolidation?

EH31

17 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

That'll create a 3A school. If folks in region 3D thought that the travel distance to and from Abingdon was tedious...

At the current numbers yes, but who knows what the numbers will be by the time the school opens and the next round of VHSL reclassification.

21 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

That'll create a 3A school. If folks in region 3D thought that the travel distance to and from Abingdon was tedious...

With todays numbers, it would be 791 total 9-12. By time school is built 725.

24 minutes ago, The Sports Reporter said:

The total enrollment for Buchanan County Public Schools High School's is 828 students as of January 31

Have to factor in losing some of that by normal attrition plus kids going elsewhere. I could see a world where some Council kids go to Honaker or something TV kids going to Richlands if they don’t want to drive to SG. 

I'm seeing a place named Poplar Gap Park, a county park that was built in 2001 on a former strip mining site.  The park appears to contain ballfields (football, baseball, softball) along with a fairgrounds area.  Is this the proposed location?

@olewave mentioned Corps of Engineers funding. Is Buchanan in-line for COE funding similar to DIckenson Co. when they built Ridgeview?  If so, it's a no-brainer. It's akin to your school system winning the Powerball.

1 hour ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I'm seeing a place named Poplar Gap Park, a county park that was built in 2001 on a former strip mining site.  The park appears to contain ballfields (football, baseball, softball) along with a fairgrounds area.  Is this the proposed location?

@olewave mentioned Corps of Engineers funding. Is Buchanan in-line for COE funding similar to DIckenson Co. when they built Ridgeview?  If so, it's a no-brainer. It's akin to your school system winning the Powerball.

Poplar Gap is where Grundy plays soccer. I used to work at a call center up there. Not sure that’s the same place, though. 

On 2/15/2020 at 1:17 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

$235.6 million, which is unreal...about 3x what Ridgeview cost

Step 1 for Buchanan Schools - Pass a resolution to never hire Haydee Robinson. Step 2, Look at everything Dickenson County did with how they handled their money and do the EXACT opposite. You will probably be O.K. On a serious note, Council Doesn't field a team and Twin Valley is historically not very strong. Hurley despises Grundy, I doubt most football players will go there. Which means Grundy basically stands alone vs 3A competition and gets absolutely destroyed anytime they play at that level. I hope not, but that's the way I see it shaking out for a few years anyway.