Conference Tournaments

#BBN

SWD boys’ games tonight at Graham were pitiful. Graham had a respectable showing but man, it was really painful watching Richlands come within 2 with a couple minutes left only to let VA High win by about a dozen. I don’t want to beat a dead horse but overall SWD is mediocre at best with exception of Graham. I will say Webb for Richlands is a go getter though & has speed to spare. 

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Union lost to Wise by a dang point tonight in M7 semis, would love to know how it went.

It was a back and forth game.  Union definitely had their chances to put the game away but didn’t.  I’ll chalk that up to their youth although that was the first time I had seen them play this season.  I think I remember their coach after the GC game they lost at home saying they need to be better at finishing games.  I’ll give them credit, there were a few times I thought Central would pull away but Union hung around.  #5 for Union hit a three to tie and was fouled and hit the go ahead foul shot.  Central scored on the following possession with about 5-6 seconds left.  Union got the ball up ahead and had it knocked away but, I believe #5, got it and had the open layup but rushed it because of time and it didn’t go in.  Great game though.

GC hasn’t played the best the last two games.  The Lee and Abingdon games were kind of sloppy.  They’ll have to play better tomorrow or they could get beat.  Central has the talent, in my opinion, but they may have too much pressure on them.  I think it helps that Dean has his 2,000 points now so they don’t have to force it to him as much and can just focus on playing ball.

Friday scores...

M7 Boys
Consolation
Union 65 Abingdon 57
Championship
Gate City 64 Central-Wise 57

SWD Boys
Consolation
Richlands 57 Lebanon 51
Championship
Graham 81 Virginia High 73

BDD Boys
Consolation
Twin Valley 62 Honaker 53
Championship
Grundy 48 Hurley 33

Cumberland Boys
Consolation
J.I. Burton 77 Rye Cove 40
Championship
Eastside 74 Twin Springs 62

Hogo Boys
Consolation
Chilhowie vs. Patrick Henry, ppd. to 2/22
Championship
Northwood 68 Holston 51

MED Boys
Consolation
George Wythe 65 Bland 32
Championship
Auburn 67 Fort Chiswell 62

Pioneer Boys
Consolation
Covington 80 Eastern Montgomery 50 (Thursday)
Championship
Narrows 50 Parry McCluer 46

SWD Girls
Consolation
Virginia High 44 Richlands 34
Championship
Lebanon 59 Marion 50

BDD Girls
Consolation
Twin Valley 45 Council 34
Championship
Honaker 73 Grundy 59

Cumberland Girls
Consolation
Thomas Walker 57 J.I. Burton 34
Championship
Eastside 54 Twin Springs 37

Hogo Girls
Consolation
Rural Retreat vs. Holston, ppd. to 2/22
Championship
Patrick Henry 62 Chilhowie 45

MED Girls
George Wythe 54 Galax 53

Pioneer Girls
Consolation
Parry McCluer 41 Narrows 34
Championship
Eastern Montgomery 43 Covington 30 (Thursday)

Came early for this one. Glad me and the kids did though did or we would not have got a seat.  All I have to say is that GC had a 6th Man with them tonight that I had not heard in quite some time. My kids thought they were at a rock concert when the students went crazy during intros!  They were jumping and bouncing yelling at me why it wasn’t like this all the time!  Then they yelled, “We love basketball!”   I think I may have yelled and bounced with them after that. 

For three quarters, after the initial shock of Centrals run wore off and GC began fighting their way back, the crowd fought with them! It was, at times, an out of body experience.  

The student body was so lit from the floor bleachers to the back row bleachers at top in the intros that it was even hard to hear the starting lineups.  That rocks!

With support like this from here on out, I honestly can see this GC team going quite a ways down the road because you could tell everyone in that gym was so lit the players just kept fighting harder and harder and harder.  

If you didn’t get goosebumps during the starting lineups, you had to be either sick, dead or in the bathroom doing business because the crowd and most definitely the GC Student Body showed up and showed out tonight as to who is by far the absolute best student body in this part of the state.  

God help any of you guys down the road if you have to face that student body yelling, chanting and screaming going against you in playing the Devils. 

Again! Huge kudos to the GC Student Body!  

53 minutes ago, stantheman said:

GC will win the region but they will get their butt's handed to them in the states  sorry,  your season will end without a title

I honestly think they can get to the finals, but yes, JayEm will wreck the Devils or any other team lucky enough to make it to RVA, I am afraid.