Gate City Boys

stantheman

tonight dean for GC became the third 2000 point scorer for GC  i think that GC is the only high school team in Va that has had 3 2000 point scorers,   what is impressive is that all three played together     back in the 90's Council had 4   1000 pt scores in the same graduating class 

Looks like it worked. 

Highlights:

GC is the first public high school in the USA to have back-to-back-to-back 2,000 point scorers, and the only VA school to have at least three 2,000 point scorers. 

You are 21,000 times more likely to win the Powerball Lottery, and 704,000 times more likely to be struck by lightning TWICE than you are to have the three consecutive 2,000 point scorers. 

If interested.....you can read the rest. 

i just read the article,  very good write up,     now with that being said you have to consider that basketball in our area is on the down,   teams today are not very good and teams that were bad during the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000 are 10 times better than most teams today,  talent levels have fallen dramatically,   fundamentals of the game are weak,  coaching is weaker,  participation is down and the overall status of the game is just horrible so that plays into a team like GC being able to dominate.   i would love to see things change in the future but until LL programs get back to what they use to be i dont see it happening

Wow Stan. Way to be a Debbie Downer. 

The article talks about the only public high school EVER in the history of high school basketball to have three consecutive 2,000 point scorers, and you try to downplay the accomplishment. *shakes head*

I played on one of those “bad” teams during the ‘80’s. We would not have belonged on the same court as the teams GC has fielded the last several years. 

SWVA is not a basketball hot spot. It has never been. However, that does not detract from this accomplishment. 

There are a lot of high school basketball cold spots in the nation, but this is the first time this has ever happened. 

Let’s see........you are 704,000 times more likely to be struck by lightning TWICE than you are to have this scoring accomplishment happen.......and you try to down play it. 

* shakes head ever so slowly as I reach for the submit button”

2 hours ago, stantheman said:

this area will provide that opportunity more than others though with the state of basketball in our area,  this area has a lot of weak teams and i mean weak,  a tradition rich program could do this again,  but i also wouldn't bet the house on it

It is not going to happen again.

GC meant no disrespect but this would not have happened back in the 70's, 80's or 90's,   sorry but teams were much better then and GC would have faced much tougher competition,  these easy blowout win's they had in the past 4 yrs would not have happened,  sorry,  basketball is weak in southwest va now and so is coaching

2 hours ago, stantheman said:

GC meant no disrespect but this would not have happened back in the 70's, 80's or 90's,   sorry but teams were much better then and GC would have faced much tougher competition,  these easy blowout win's they had in the past 4 yrs would not have happened,  sorry,  basketball is weak in southwest va now and so is coaching

Im not sure I agree for one reason with that though.  I remember games from the 80s where both teams were pushing 100 points.  Offenses seemed to be much better overall until around 2000 in the area.  Then things swung to either really good defense, terrible offense of a combo of both.  I would venture to say more 1000 point scorers came from this area in the last 20 years of the 1900s than the first 20 years of the 2000s in this area.

6 hours ago, stantheman said:

i just read the article,  very good write up,     now with that being said you have to consider that basketball in our area is on the down,   teams today are not very good and teams that were bad during the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000 are 10 times better than most teams today,  talent levels have fallen dramatically,   fundamentals of the game are weak,  coaching is weaker,  participation is down and the overall status of the game is just horrible so that plays into a team like GC being able to dominate.   i would love to see things change in the future but until LL programs get back to what they use to be i dont see it happening

Not sure I agree with that.  The McClung led team was infinitely more talented than the 24–1 GC team from ‘88 whose only major college athlete was Rusty Pendleton (for football).  To what other great area teams are you referring?   

the mcclung team was one of the best to ever play in southwest va, there can be another debate on the best teams to ever play in this area,   in the past there were several very good teams  in the past 10+ years however the level of basketball has dropped off considerably,   kids just dont play anymore and fundamentals have taken a backseat,  

what they did was remarkable  hats off to them,  

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Im not sure I agree for one reason with that though.  I remember games from the 80s where both teams were pushing 100 points.  Offenses seemed to be much better overall until around 2000 in the area.  Then things swung to either really good defense, terrible offense of a combo of both.  I would venture to say more 1000 point scorers came from this area in the last 20 years of the 1900s than the first 20 years of the 2000s in this area.

The game is a lot different now. Watch a college game from the 80s or a pro game from the 70s and you see very little contact. Now it’s a mugging night in and night out.

41 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

The game is a lot different now. Watch a college game from the 80s or a pro game from the 70s and you see very little contact. Now it’s a mugging night in and night out.

I completely agree and that is why I think it would have been more likely back then than now which makes it even more impressive.  Plus GC hasnt played a soft schedule overall with the competition historically being larger TN schools, Arby's and the Florida tourney this year for OOC scheduling.

3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

I remember back in the early/mid 80s...Graham and Gate City played a two overtime game that went out 45-42...not much offense...

I played in the 90's.  It was a different game. The game is ridiculously physical now.  With today's pace and physical play, the quality of officials is demonstrated nightly.  We have had many games totaling close to 40 fouls for both teams.   Not taking anything away from the talent of McClung, Ervin or Dean but the amount of free throws they got during a season would not have happened back then.  If you scored 40+ then, I would guess only 5/6 would be from the line.  I watched McClung quite a bit and can remember games where he was pushing 20 free throws.  Not saying he wouldn't have scored other ways but it's easier to score more points when the clocks not running.  

I also don't think you will see individual scoring like this happen again in Virginia now that they have started the stupid running clock rule after 30 pt lead.  

6 hours ago, F@lcon said:

I played in the 90's.  It was a different game. The game is ridiculously physical now.  With today's pace and physical play, the quality of officials is demonstrated nightly.  We have had many games totaling close to 40 fouls for both teams.   Not taking anything away from the talent of McClung, Ervin or Dean but the amount of free throws they got during a season would not have happened back then.  If you scored 40+ then, I would guess only 5/6 would be from the line.  I watched McClung quite a bit and can remember games where he was pushing 20 free throws.  Not saying he wouldn't have scored other ways but it's easier to score more points when the clocks not running.  

I also don't think you will see individual scoring like this happen again in Virginia now that they have started the stupid running clock rule after 30 pt l

Understand your point, but still don't agree.   Two of these three kids are starting at the D1 level (and both did as freshmen).  It remains to be seen how Dean will do, but if the outcomes were just a matter of poor competition, then nobody would be moving to the next level.  

9 hours ago, F@lcon said:

I played in the 90's.  It was a different game. The game is ridiculously physical now. 

Completely disagree with this statement. Look at the offenses a majority of teams run today. Teams are spread out wide to create space for drives or three point shots if help comes to stop the drive. There may be a maximum of one ball screen set before a shot is attempted. In the 1980s & 1990s teams were running offenses that set a lot more screens which brought physicality to the game. There used to be post players who could bang in the paint and score with their back to the basket. In todays game posts are content to shoot threes and not go to work down low. Teams are much softer today. 

16 hours ago, used2blarge said:

Not sure I agree with that.  The McClung led team was infinitely more talented than the 24–1 GC team from ‘88 whose only major college athlete was Rusty Pendleton (for football).  To what other great area teams are you referring?   

The ‘97 GC team would’ve been interesting. Mac’s bunch would’ve beat them, but they never saw a team with the level of defense.

Granted, most of the ‘97 team were football players playing basketball, with the exception of Josh Shoemaker who went on to play at Wake and in Europe, they would bring the pain on defense and the boards. 

3 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Completely disagree with this statement. Look at the offenses a majority of teams run today. Teams are spread out wide to create space for drives or three point shots if help comes to stop the drive. There may be a maximum of one ball screen set before a shot is attempted. In the 1980s & 1990s teams were running offenses that set a lot more screens which brought physicality to the game. There used to be post players who could bang in the paint and score with their back to the basket. In todays game posts are content to shoot threes and not go to work down low. Teams are much softer today. 

Physicality is relative-you are referring to style of play. Defenses now are taught to hand check, bump cutters, and back to the basket play has gone away because officials allow hand to hand combat and don’t call fouls on post ups, but they do call fouls on drives to the basket. The 80s and 90s NBA was physical and not for the faint of heart, but high school games were still played with skill. 

20 minutes ago, Blue Cannonball said:

The ‘97 GC team would’ve been interesting. Mac’s bunch would’ve beat them, but they never saw a team with the level of defense.

Granted, most of the ‘97 team were football players playing basketball, with the exception of Josh Shoemaker who went on to play at Wake and in Europe, they would bring the pain on defense and the boards. 

And Chris Peters and Tony MacDonald.  I cant remember how much Tony played for that team though.  He is an overlooked freak athlete to come out of GC as well.

23 hours ago, stantheman said:

ROFL, GC would destroy any team from the 70s or 80s or 90s around this area.  Go watch the tapes, plenty of them on youtube.  2017-18 GC would hang 100 every night on any of those old 2-3 zone teams.  Let me guess, you prob think those old Bill Russell Celtics teams would beat the KD Warriors team too. LOL  These kids today start out at 6 or 7 years old and play all summer, back in the day you started in November of your 8th grade year.  Get real. 

15 hours ago, GMan said:

I remember back in the early/mid 80s...Graham and Gate City played a two overtime game that went out 45-42...not much offense...

I remember a game between Graham and Richlands in the 90's where the score was 9-6... #OffensiveExplosion 

1 hour ago, Blue Cannonball said:

Pretty sure that Shoemaker was the QB on the football team.

Small Ball and position-less offense have took over thanks to the And1 movement. Instead of pounding it inside and letting your post be a force, we are opting for space, speed, and fastbreak to be the majority of our offense. Teams would play at a slow methodical pace and use their strength to pick you apart. Now we are wide open and the use of offense or lack of offense is being pushed more and more leading to open drives and open three.