Grundy

LongTimeSWVAFan

Can my alma mater win the whole thing? I feel pretty confident they’ll get to the regional finals against Eastside. I have no idea what the rest of the state has?

I’m so hopeful they can make it far, the opportunity to showcase more of our athletes and people to the state is paramount. Could we become the first school to win a 1A wrestling and boys basketball title in same season?

I've seen where they have been ranked #1 in Virginia for a few weeks, but I haven't seen them play, so hard to predict.  There are usually some crazy athletic teams on the other end of the state to contend with in single A ball.  It would be awesome if Grundy could win a basketball state title and wrestling title in the same year.

Grundy has a 50/50 shot. Ironically they have the toughest road in the region tournament. J.I. Burton, Twin Springs and Eastside if everything goes as I expect. When Grundy plays at their best I think they are the best 1A team in the state. But they haven't been tested all that much, so will see if or when they play Auburn, Lancaster, Northampton, Matthews.

1 minute ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

Grundy has a 50/50 shot. Ironically they have the toughest road in the region tournament. J.I. Burton, Twin Springs and Eastside if everything goes as I expect. When Grundy plays at their best I think they are the best 1A team in the state. But they haven't been tested all that much, so will see if or when they play Auburn, Lancaster, Northampton, Matthews.

They have a win over Graham, who is athletically comparable (if not more so) to the teams on the other end of the state 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

They have a win over Graham, who is athletically comparable (if not more so) to the teams on the other end of the state 

They also loss to a mediocre Richlands team late in the season. It's unfortunate Grundy & Graham didn't get that second game in at the end of the season. Could've shed some lite on where both teams really stood.

18 minutes ago, IRISH-FAN18 said:

They also loss to a mediocre Richlands team late in the season. It's unfortunate Grundy & Graham didn't get that second game in at the end of the season. Could've shed some lite on where both teams really stood.

Richlands better than most 1A teams

Richlands is good, but Grundy shouldn't have lost that game. But it was just one game. An outlier. I hope Grundy does bring home state & region crowns, but some dangerous competition is coming their way.

I would say some 1A teams. I definitely wouldn’t say most. I watched them against Graham twice & then Virginia High and Lebanon. Mediocre is probably a pretty true adjective. I think several members can attest overall, SWD is weak. 

31 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I would say some 1A teams. I definitely wouldn’t say most. I watched them against Graham twice & then Virginia High and Lebanon. Mediocre is probably a pretty true adjective. I think several members can attest overall, SWD is weak. 

Name 4 1a teams in SWVA that are better...come on man.

They are comparable to Grundy, Northwood, Eastside etc