Jon Compton 8
Eli Starnes 2
D’Andre Mack 6
Jonathan Sallee 2
Andrew Hensley 2

great state

Gate City Retweeted

Tanner Cook @tcookJCPKTN
Boys  Class 2 finals, FINAL: Gate City 57 John Marshall 75 John Marshall wins the 2019-20 Class 2 boys state basketball championship! Congrats! Devils fought really hard and Brad Dean had 32 in his final HS game.

great state

Congrats to the Gate City Boys...you  represented SWVA in a tough game and left it ALL on the floor!!!

Times News Sports @tnsportslive

The #VHSL canceled the Class 1 boys and girls state championship  games following the declaration of a state of emergency. The Honaker and Surry Curry girls were to play at 6 p.m., followed by the Auburn and Mathews boys. The teams are now co-champs.

great state

I feel sort of bad for 2A losers. I mean if the Governor had been a little more timely with his declaration we could have had another set of co-champions. The Gate City girls can tout they are the true champions! They proved themselves on the court. I guarantee the co-champions would have preferred to win outright too. I know this is serious especially for elderly and those with weakened immune systems other health issues but have mercy. The media has made the panic a 100 times worse. 

Gate City @bluedevilslive

The Blue Devils had one heck of a season and we are super proud of you. They are your State Runner-ups 57-75 final.

Luke Reed 2
Bradley Dean 32
Jon Compton 8
Eli Starnes 2
D’Andre Mack 6
Jonathan Sallee 2
Andrew Hensley 2
Matthew Gose 2

great state

Tim Hayes Retweeted

NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships: http://on.ncaa.com/4tqc2

Jim Sacco Retweeted

The NCAA has canceled the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments and March Madness.

great state

AND there's this...

Marc DavisVerified account @marcdavissports

The CAA announces that an official who worked a CAA Tournament men’s game has tested positive for Coronavirus. Didn’t show symptoms until 72 hours after the game. Have notified institutions and people involved in that contest. @NBC12

ESPN Radio 94.1 Retweeted

Adam WinklerVerified account @AdamWinkSports

BREAKING: A game official who worked at the 2020 @CAASports Men’s Basketball Championship has tested positive for the Coronavirus. http://wtkr.com/Coronavirus

great state

17 minutes ago, GC_Quincy said:

I'd rather play hard and get beat than to have a trophy handed to me. Just my 2 cents. Proud of the GC kids!

Edited to say ..... it's no fault of the other schools and athletes. It is what it is. They all had great seasons.

100%. Didnt think GC stood a chance....they surprised me with the way they played and battled.  I know the other teams couldnt help the circumstances....but getting a Co Champ trophy is too much like a participation trophy (without even participating).  

Congrats to the Devils and congrats to JM....they were just a force this year.

Gate City Retweeted

Tanner Cook @tcookJCPKTN
FWIW, Gate City’s Bradley Dean finishes his astounding career with 2,230 points, which is enough for 22nd all-time in VHSL history. He passed notable names like J.J. Redick today. He finishes with 862 single season points, good for 10th all-time

great state

23 minutes ago, RCITYHOO said:

Great year GC should be proud. See ya again in the regions again next year.

Maybe. Union should be there. Gate City is going to drop off a little bit but outside of Abingdon most teams in the Mountain District will be losing some important pieces. Not sure what the Southwest will look like next season. 

The girls should be as tough as ever imho.  GC only loses two contributors, mainly on the defensive side.  Ridgeview is Ridgeview. Central will be back and more experienced.  Union I’m not sure of.  I’m sure Abingdon will be tough.

The boys will be Union and GC I believe with Lee as a dark horse, I don’t know what all they lose.  Abingdon will be a solid team.  Graham will be better in the region as well.