Opinions? Foul or no foul?

#BBN

21 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Hahaha nothing was called on that play........

I get that. Just pointing out, I agree with your assessment. It’s a shame because at any other juncture of the game, a foul would have been called on either one of two players. End game situations shouldn’t be treated differently. 

Sorry sixcat, I misunderstood your last post!!! I agree, I am not saying this would of made Central win the ball game.......but with 2.1 seconds left and if a foul was called......you go to the line for 2 free throws for a chance to try and advance!!!

They had other chances during the game to win, but it's a shame that referees swallow their whistles most of the time during a situation like this!!!

5 hours ago, #BBN said:

This was 2.1 seconds left in the Central/Radford game!!! Not that it matters now the game is done and over with, but how can a foul be ignored right here?

IMG_1043.jpg

These pics ought to be sent to higher ups in vhsl officiating! Where were the refs standing! Whole season of work and dreams of players clobbered on one play!

1 minute ago, Hokie777 said:

These pics ought to be sent to higher ups in vhsl officiating! Where were the refs standing! Whole season of work and dreams of players clobbered on one play!

The Ref that was underneath the basket was on the other side., 2nd official was standing infront of Centrals bench and the 3rd was on the opposite side and he was the one that waived the basket off at the end of the game. I've seen 2 different videos one from Twitter and then the angle from which these pictures are taken and Hayes gets the shot off and then u hear the buzzer sound. But I have no doubt that the 3rd official was looking at the lights on the backboard and waived it off. But in High School basketball you go by the horn not the lights cause no high school around has the lights on the backboard.

The shot at the buzzer is tough.  It’s a bang bang play and I can see how they would wave it off.  I saw a video, but can’t remember where so I can’t see it again, but my first thought was no good.  If you slow it down possibly there is a chance it was clear but the refs don’t have that capability so you can’t fault them for that one.  At least they were tied at that point.  If they would have lost the game because of those calls then that would have been a travesty.

First pic looks like a clear foul. Looks like the foul was on the rebound. Assume Central was in the bonus.

Third pic does not look like a foul...…..to me.

Second pic is the tough one....for me....to call. Does not look like #22 is fouling. Other guy looks like his hand is all ball, but he might be elbowing the Central kid.

Really depends on how the game was called. If this sequence was a foul in the first quarter, it should have been a foul at the end of the game.

We are also benefitting from still pictures......which the refs do not have.

As a Radford fan that was probably a foul but they didn't call another 15 on Central earlier in the game so none of this matters.  Central's #22 should have been ejected from the game for running through two screens and aggressively shoving both players.  32 should've have had a technical for the disrespect he showed the refs when called for fouls.    the 2 fouls on #34 for Radford in the first half were terrible.  I've watched the clock, light and horn on the end shot and it is close but I think it was right.  If 32 makes that  last free throw then this doesn't matter.  One call doesn't decide the game.

I watched the last play. The ball sits in his hands at 0.0 before he got it off.  I wanted to see for myself. I ran it back like 20 times to make sure and the ball was in his hands at 0.0.

If you want to see it, it’s on YouTube  Actually all of Radford’s games are on YouTube. Kind of crazy they would put them up there but whatever floats your boat I guess. 

As for the fouls that may or may not have been missed at the end of the game, how many missed shots at the basket were they?  How many offensive boards did a team get and score on that shouldn’t have been got?  It’s easy to say what happened at the end of the game determined the end but if the team or teams had done their job on other things during the game then what happened at the end might not have mattered.  

25 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

I watched the last play. The ball sits in his hands at 0.0 before he got it off.  I wanted to see for myself. I ran it back like 20 times to make sure and the ball was in his hands at 0.0.

If you want to see it, it’s on YouTube  Actually all of Radford’s games are on YouTube. Kind of crazy they would put them up there but whatever floats your boat I guess. 

As for the fouls that may or may not have been missed at the end of the game, how many missed shots at the basket were they?  How many offensive boards did a team get and score on that shouldn’t have been got?  It’s easy to say what happened at the end of the game determined the end but if the team or teams had done their job on other things during the game then what happened at the end might not have mattered.  

Agree....some fans just like to point out one play them say "refs cost is the game"....just the easiest excuse instead of placing blame elsewhere

But these same fans never say "yeah they missed that call on us"

1 hour ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

I am not saying the refs cost anybody a game, and dont think that refs can decide a game by missing or making calls.

My dad has reffed for 25+ years, and we have always discussed that refs cant win or lose a game on a call, because at some point during a game each team had a chance to make plays to win the game.

I just dont see how refs swallow their whistle during crucial moments of a game!!! 

Like stated above, if free throws are made, that doesn't matter, but the free throws was not made........so all in all, I hate it for Central, but that's the way it goes sometimes!!!! On to baseball they go!!!

Officials are often instructed to “let the players decide it,” but by swallowing their whistle actually decide the game even more so.  

A foul should be a foul depending on the way the game has been called from the first quarter on. There’s a lot of subjectivity to what a foul is between officials, but by crunch time it should be established what is going to be called and what isn’t. 

39 minutes ago, Tigerman10 said:

Officials are often instructed to “let the players decide it,” but by swallowing their whistle actually decide the game even more so.  

A foul should be a foul depending on the way the game has been called from the first quarter on. There’s a lot of subjectivity to what a foul is between officials, but by crunch time it should be established what is going to be called and what isn’t. 

Well said Tigerman10!!! I feel if you are not able to make the right call in critical situations, you do not need to be officiating the game!!!! To much buddy/buddy in the AOA........commissioner makes sure his boys get the big games, and his boys are the best officials out there!!!

17 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

Those are videoed and posted by a relative of one of the players so coaches don't have control.  I don't think they care for it but can't stop it.

I try to never judge anything based on still images.  That being said to me watching the footage I have seen I thought it was a foul myself.  But was there similar contact throughout the game not called or called?  I dont know as I havent watched the game.

by not calling a foul in that situation the ref's did actually decide the outcome of the game,  that awarded it to radford,  the foul should have been called regardless of the time on the clock, the foul could have been the difference in the shot actually being released in time

ref's in southwest va are horrible

The game is on YouTube, just search Radford vs wise central.  I watched some of it and based on how physical it was the whole game the no call was pretty consistent on how they called the parts I seen.  Central was very physical off the ball on Cormany and hardly ever was called for a foul.  One guy was running through screens and maybe one foul was called on him.  A still picture can make it look worse then what it really is. The live feed didn’t look all that bad but like I said it played into how the game was called.

7 hours ago, RadCat said:

Those are videoed and posted by a relative of one of the players so coaches don't have control.  I don't think they care for it but can't stop it.

What does a relative posting it have to do with anything?  

17 hours ago, #BBN said:

What does a relative posting it have to do with anything?  

Some mentioned that it was crazy that video of the Radford games was being posted on youtube and they thought it was crazy they did that.  I was pointing out it wasn't Radford coaches but someone that is not part of the school or team.