Boys VA State semifinal updates...

Beamerball

7 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The majority of pre-season/early-season predictions were that Central would win the M7 and Gate City couldn’t get back to this stage without Ervin and McClung. 

Those kids are getting pretty damned good at serving up crow!

Excellent coaching=everything

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

The majority of pre-season/early-season predictions were that Central would win the M7 and Gate City couldn’t get back to this stage without Ervin and McClung. 

Those kids are getting pretty damned good at serving up crow!

Gate City just reloads on the basketball court.  Though no sane person would predict them to beat John Marshall, making it back to the state championship game after losing legitimate D1 prospects in back-to-back years is astounding.  

After what I saw in Rockingham County tonight, John Marshall by 25+. Anytime they wanted a basket, they went inside to 6’11 Wheeler. He is pretty much unstoppable. Can’t imagine that will change Thursday. 

50 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Gate City just reloads on the basketball court.  Though no sane person would predict them to beat John Marshall, making it back to the state championship game after losing legitimate D1 prospects in back-to-back years is astounding.  

Along with other inner-city Richmond schools, JM has lost a lot of enrollment in recent years. But they didn’t lose anything on the basketball court. JM will likely win handily. Regardless, Gate City has exceeded most expectations this season. They should be very proud of what this group has accomplished. 

2 hours ago, trublue said:

Robert Edmonds @bigrob2523

Class 2 State Semifinal. Final Score: John Marshall 78, East Rockingham 44. The Justices will play Gate City on Thursday for the state championship.

great state

Would be great to see Gate City win this one 70 -68.. Gate City shoot 50% from the floor and JM shoot 20% from the floor. I know this is far from the realm of normal possibility.. but I would find this inspiring to future underdogs who are given zero chance of winning in athletic competition. 

7 hours ago, stantheman said:

GC benefited by having to go through regon c to the finals, until the vhsl changes this to a rotation the region d will always have a good shot at making it to the finals

Radford and Martinsville have a combined 11 state championships since 2000! 

Both are Region C!!!!!

9 hours ago, stantheman said:

GC benefited by having to go through regon c to the finals, until the vhsl changes this to a rotation the region d will always have a good shot at making it to the finals

I hope you don't go through life with such shoddy research. You don't happen to work MSN do ya? Lol

15 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Even through Radford didn't make to the final, they lost 2 D1 prospects and 7 seniors total from last years team and still almost made it back to the championship.  Someone said it before "Coaching means everything"

54 minutes ago, RadCat said:

Even through Radford didn't make to the final, they lost 2 D1 prospects and 7 seniors total from last years team and still almost made it back to the championship.  Someone said it before "Coaching means everything"

They had a great season.  If I heard correctly they only lose one player for next year.  I expect they’ll make another run at it next year.  Great program and tradition up there.  A Radford - Union matchup next season could be very likely to happen. 

23 hours ago, Hokie101 said:

They had a great season.  If I heard correctly they only lose one player for next year.  I expect they’ll make another run at it next year.  Great program and tradition up there.  A Radford - Union matchup next season could be very likely to happen. 

Correct.  Only lose Jon Woods (6pts and 8 boards/game) but will have the Prioleau kid back and 6-5 Mabry kid should be back.  If they had the Prioleau kid this year, they would have made it to the finals undefeated.  Probably still don't beat JM but would've been fun.  The four Juniors (Cormany, Kanipe, Prioleau, McManus) have only lost 5 games since Middle School  (4 this year and GC two years ago.)  With Prioleau that would probably been only 2 total to GC 2 yrs ago and JM this year.  The Radford JV only lost 1 game and has some talent.  Should make a run next year, maybe have a down year  then reload for a couple more.