Bradley Bunch, Union

Dylan Fannon, Union

Jake O’Quinn, Abingdon

Andrew Hensley, Gate City

Luke Reed, Gate City

Jordan Bishop, Wise Central

Zach Smith, John Battle

Honorable Mention

Abingdon — River Carter; Ridgeview — Brody Counts, Trenton Adkins; Lee High — Jackson Collier; Wise Central — Ben Brickey, Brody Allison

its a joke because McAmis is not the coach of the year,  he didn't beat GC, he let abingdon beat his team on his home court and Vermillion made the championship game,  this is a joke,  Gavin Austin is better or as good as half the first team and didn't make first team and only one player from Union made the first team all region d,  come on                 same thing goes for the all district team with union,  ,   pure joke

31 minutes ago, stantheman said:

its a joke because McAmis is not the coach of the year,  he didn't beat GC, he let abingdon beat his team on his home court and Vermillion made the championship game,  this is a joke,  Gavin Austin is better or as good as half the first team and didn't make first team and only one player from Union made the first team all region d,  come on                 same thing goes for the all district team with union,  ,   pure joke

Odum won COY last year-perhaps Vermillion wanted someone else to have it?

How many players from Union should have made the region team?  M7 only going to get half the spots (although they got 5 and SWD got 4)

Union's year will be next year. Will be surprised if they and Radford do not play for the region championship. Don't forget that Union was only a missed put back at the buzzer against Central from being one of the two M7 teams advancing to regional play this year.

I agree with Stan on this one. McAmis as COY is a joke. He took a team picked to win the district, and slightly underachieved. Vermillion took a team picked to finish second in the district, and went to the state championship game.

Curious. Wonder how many times a coach has taken their team to the state championship game and NOT been COY in their district and region? It happened to both GC coaches this year.

Wonder how many times a coach has won a state championship and NOT been COY in their district and region? Happened to GC's coach this year.

Politics...................Coaches talk and trade votes and nominations for each kid.  Basically if I have a kid that is a good ball player all around for his team, maybe not score 15 ppg, and make the headlines a lot, but did contribute to his teams success, his coach will tell another coach I will nominate one of your kids, if you will nominate one of mine.   I am not saying that the kids don't deserve the honor, some rightfully so, and some may be borderline.  All Conference and All Region has always been about politics back in 2002 when I graduated it was the same way, and it will never change.

You have to think that M7 teams are selected based on what they did during conference play.  In the girls, GC finished tied for 3rd with Union behind Ridgeview and Abingdon.  Union won the region tournament so I can see why their coach won that.  I’m a little confused about the boys since GC hasn’t lost a game in like 5 years but who knows, maybe he said give it to someone else.  McAmis and Central did have a great season.  Union will definitely have a lot of players and probably coach on there next season.  They finished very strong and they’re all returning next season.  Radford is region C so if them and Union do meet, it wouldn’t be until the state quarterfinals or semifinals. 

19 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Politics...................Coaches talk and trade votes and nominations for each kid.  Basically if I have a kid that is a good ball player all around for his team, maybe not score 15 ppg, and make the headlines a lot, but did contribute to his teams success, his coach will tell another coach I will nominate one of your kids, if you will nominate one of mine.  

Coaches nominate who they believe is deserving and then the other coaches vote-the very nature of that is somewhat political but how else should it be done?

Should the fans vote? That could be disastrous.

The newspaper writers?  They already do their own team.  

Even on college AA teams there are “snubs” and coaches aren’t trading votes there.  I guess it’s just something that comes with voting like that. 

my beef here wasnt as much with the kids picks as the coach's,  but my point with the players is this,  you should not be given a spot just because your a senior,  that means nothing,  it should be based on your performance during the season and your teams performance during the season,    that is why i mentioned union players on here,  they did a lot more than was expected and should have been rewarded,  politics always plays a role in these teams,  as far as the coach i can see the point of union girls coach winning the region d coy based that his team did actually win the region,  but i think the state championship should have a lot of weight on these selections personally

They pick the teams after end of regular season for All District, the Monday after the region Championship for all region, and then the week after state championship for all state. When they pick conference team usually conference tournament games have not played. When region is selected no state quarter final, semifinal, or final has been played. Usually the way they are ranked from the conference teams is how they must be selected in region. So if Tommy Jones is the mountain 7 player of the year no one in the mountain 7 can be nominated until he has been voted on the region team. I have seen some coaches vote for kids so they can get to their players on the list.

On 3/18/2020 at 6:44 AM, Great City said:

Union's year will be next year. Will be surprised if they and Radford do not play for the region championship. Don't forget that Union was only a missed put back at the buzzer against Central from being one of the two M7 teams advancing to regional play this year.

Or 1 horrible foul call from putting Gate City out in district play.