Honest Answers

SXSW

As we navigate the Covid-19 landscape I have a question? Have you really missed sports! My short answer is No not really. I just want to hear everyone's answers!  

I haven't missed anything but golf!  I don't think I realized how much golf I watched on TV until there's none to watch.  No Laying Up can't put content out fast enough to suppress my appetite.  I have re-watched the 1991, 1997, 1999 (Galax's own Tom McKnight finished T-43), 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2015, 2018 and 2019 Masters final rounds on Youtube over the past few weeks.  I watched Big Break Season 2 finally last night on Golf Channel.  Episode 11 of Tourist Sauce; Carolinas (No Laying Up) premieres tonight.  Then I will likely venture back into the 70's and 80's for Masters final round broadcasts.

Good lord, I'm a sicko!!!!!

I missed the NCAA Tournament but thats it. I dont watch baseball or NASCAR. My interest in any sport outside of NCAA and High School football has been dwindling for the past few years.

The National Anthem issues with the NFL were the beginning of it, football was my escape from the real world and that was invaded by bs. I still watch the Cowboys when they're on but other than than I watched parts of maybe 3 NFL games last season and the Superbowl. I did watch a lot of college football and ive been fortunate enough to watch more high school football in the past 3-4 years than I ever have, nothing better than traveling around SWVA eating hotdogs and watching some high school football.

I hope something we as a culture take away from this is that we refocus on whats important and find other interests. Ive been sketching, something I haven't done in years, and depending on how things go I may end up reading more.

Initially I was pretty bummed about my son losing his senior year of soccer for a number of reasons.  One is that I think this Liberty team really had some enormous potential.  They played two friendlies before the plug was pulled and looked really good -- I mean they displayed amazing chemistry.   On a personal level he was really starting to come into his own as well.  After years of completely discounting the idea of playing in college (and passing on several pretty good options to do that), he had started talking about making an attempt to walk on at Tech this fall.  [Reality check -- while I thought the chance of such was very close to zero, I wasn't about to discourage him.]  But he's moved on completely now and so have his mom and I.

I would still like to see Liverpool have a chance to get the 6 remaining points necessary to claim an EPL title.  And I take some morbid satisfaction in the notion that the Nats are reigning MLB champs until they're not.  But otherwise I've got several more important things on my mind right now.

Yes. Badly. i miss my NASCAR races. I miss March Madness. I was supposed to be in Charlotte this coming weekend for a Hornets game. No Masters. No Indy 500. No Bristol. No NBA playoffs. No watching Richlands softball repeat. 

I’m not a big baseball guy, so that’s not much of a loss to me. But if this stretches into football season with no sports then I’m not sure what to do at that point.

4 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yes. Badly. i miss my NASCAR races. I miss March Madness. I was supposed to be in Charlotte this coming weekend for a Hornets game. No Masters. No Indy 500. No Bristol. No NBA playoffs. No watching Richlands softball repeat. 

I’m not a big baseball guy, so that’s not much of a loss to me. But if this stretches into football season with no sports then I’m not sure what to do at that point.

Finally someone with some sense! lol

missing the NCAAT is HUGE. It's one of my three top favorite sporting events of the year and poof it was gone. I would argue the first weekend of the NCAAT is the four days in sports. Thursday-Sunday, it's at the top. 

I watch a ton of NCAA/NBA basketball, so that was gone. I watch some NASCAR, mainly the closing laps of every race, gone. I watch the Braves, gone so far. So yeah, I've 1Mx missed sports.

In a vacuum, I would rather not watch any HS FB games as opposed to the NCAA tourney. Losing the NCAAT was gigantic. 

Badly miss the NCAAT, and feel terribly for the athletes and schools who were robbed of their chances to compete.  I also miss spring NCAA sports; the baseball NCAAT is a blast to watch and follow, and there are some zany upsets that come out of there, too.  

As for professional sports, I don’t really pay attention to the NBA/MLB until playoff time.  Seasons are needlessly long.

March Madness is awesome. I stopped watching NASCAR years ago. I wouldn't watch a baseball game if they were playing it in my front yard. I'm pretty busy with multiple jobs and don't get to watch much TV though, so it hasn't bothered me much. Football is a different story. I live for it. Don't know what I will do if that gets cancelled.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Badly miss the NCAAT, and feel terribly for the athletes and schools who were robbed of their chances to compete.  I also miss spring NCAA sports; the baseball NCAAT is a blast to watch and follow, and there are some zany upsets that come out of there, too.  

As for professional sports, I don’t really pay attention to the NBA/MLB until playoff time.  Seasons are needlessly long.

What he said!

I am not a big fan of the spring sports season at all.  I have tried to watch high school baseball over the years and just get bored with it.  I enjoy softball some but I am ok with not having it.  Real NASCAR is only good to watch when they're at Daytona and Talladega and Martinsville.  The iRacing races they have been doing the last couple weeks have been much more entertaining than the real thing.  I do miss Indycar though and Moto GP, which was finally going to be back on American TV this year after several years away from it.  I don't care what anyone says, Moto GP is by far the most exciting (and dangerous) motorsport there is....

I miss wrestling.  Notably New Japan.  But it appears they may be starting back up soon.  At least my good buddy, Chase Owens is still being paid while New Japan is on sabbatical.  WWE is still going, but Wrestlemania is going to suck hard this year being taped in advance.

I'm one of the lucky ones, who always has a full DVR, so I always have plenty to watch.  Even with everything being shut down, as of last night, my DVR is still at 48% full.  

10 hours ago, BigWinners said:

In a vacuum, I would rather not watch any HS FB games as opposed to the NCAA tourney. Losing the NCAAT was gigantic. 

Its funny how peoples perspectives are different in terms of what they like, I would sacrifice the entire sport of basketball for eternity just to have next football season, and I enjoy basketball(HS and NCAA)

54 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I miss wrestling.  Notably New Japan.  But it appears they may be starting back up soon.  At least my good buddy, Chase Owens is still being paid while New Japan is on sabbatical.  WWE is still going, but Wrestlemania is going to suck hard this year being taped in advance.

WWE has been pretty much unwatchable, AEW on the other hand has been pretty good from what ive seen. The in ring action is MUCH better imo

Yeah,  I miss march madness, NASCAR, college lacrosse,  and MLB.

Been a big Orioles fan since I was old enough to be a fan,  but they haven't been much for the last couple of years and may not be for a while as long as Angelos is the owner.

Hoping football returns this fall.  That should mean that maybe this virus is on it's downward spiral.

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

Its funny how peoples perspectives are different in terms of what they like, I would sacrifice the entire sport of basketball for eternity just to have next football season, and I enjoy basketball(HS and NCAA)

Notice I said HS FB, not CFB lol. College football is my favorite sport to watch on a game by game basis, but nothing is quite like the NCAAT.

For anyone interested in behind the scenes ramifications for professional sports leagues amidst the postponements and cancellations, check out the "No Laying Up" podcast interview with LPGA commissioner Mike Whan.  Mr. Whan is hands down, the best commissioner in professional sports anywhere in the world.  And it's not close!  He goes into great detail about what event insurance covers, what the leagues will have to eat in losses and what that generally means for players, coaches, owners and fans.  He goes into some detail about how leagues/events/concerts will be forced to change the way the operate going forward. 

It's very interesting to hear just how far-reaching these cancellations are.  From beverage suppliers to concessions to small businesses surrounding stadiums, to city government lost revenue from parking.  It's amazing how this is devastating our whole economy.

Miss?  I wouldn't say I miss sports.  I miss the distraction I guess of being able to kill a few hours and enjoy some time to block out the real world and immerse myself in enjoying watching a sport.

I have, over the past few weeks, pondered the question about pro athletes, the outrageous salaries , their social influence on the youth, and where things might go moving forward in the future.  I guess what this has shown is that sports and pro athletes aren't as essential to daily life as one may have thought 6 months or 3 years ago.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, SXSW said:

Have you really missed sports! My short answer is No not really. I just want to hear everyone's answers!  

Absolutely, especially the early spring window of the NCAA tourney, MLB opening day, the Masters and the English Premiere League. Once those are over I don't watch hardly any sports over the summer. Right now I would welcome just about any sport  to take my mind off the horrible stories related to the Coronavirus for a couple of hours.