Mark Palmer

KHSAALegend

Yeah! Just heard this myself! As a PH fan, and parent, thought it was kinda crappy to be getting this news, through social media in the middle of a pandemic! More power to him, i just hate it for the younger kids, that bought into his "brotherhood" mentality. Brotherhood is thick or thin, I guess money won out on this bid! Good luck, Coach Palmer in greener pastures. Our boys are Rebels no matter what, and you better believe this will be just the ammunition they need, to be back on top! 

1 hour ago, Phfan said:

Yeah! Just heard this myself! As a PH fan, and parent, thought it was kinda crappy to be getting this news, through social media in the middle of a pandemic! More power to him, i just hate it for the younger kids, that bought into his "brotherhood" mentality. Brotherhood is thick or thin, I guess money won out on this bid! Good luck, Coach Palmer in greener pastures. Our boys are Rebels no matter what, and you better believe this will be just the ammunition they need, to be back on top! 

How can you fault a guy for trying to improve his situation? Why shouldn't money win out?

NOT STAYING MONEY SHOULDN'T! It might've went down better for the players, parents, and fans if we would not of found out through social media! We are a small school for nine years we stood behind this man, thats all i I was saying. A statement from him to his players wouldve been appreciated, but like I stated...good luck in greener pastures.

And the fact that most of these boys are already upset due to the pandemic, all they had to look forward to was football. They still will, but today, it was just a shock upon shock. Thank you Coach Palmer for all you have done.

4 minutes ago, Phfan said:

NOT STAYING MONEY SHOULDN'T! It might've went down better for the players, parents, and fans if we would not of found out through social media! 

How the hell else are you supposed to find out during a pandemic, carrier pigeon?

Yall, he is also the athletic director. Email, messages,  what the crap ever! Carrier pigeon yeah that would work! I wish him and his family the best, but it still hurts a bit also. 

No Zoom meeting,  but as  of any coaches taking over, no idea. I am a parent, fan, and alumni. So of course I bleed blue lol! I do know we have a heck of a team of juniors rising up, and the freshman talent this year is unbelievable. We are going to need a coach just as dedicated as coach palmer was. If he wasnt such a great coach, nobody would be upset! The fact is it was shocking to us, and i have a few footballers! He will be missed.

Looks like Palmer is doing the same thing Mance did, retiring with full retirement from Virginia, and taking another job.  I haven't seen anyone blasting Mance for leaving, so no need to do it for Palmer.  As for the PH job, looks like it will be a good opportunity for someone.  Washington County pays well, and the talent is there to compete for a state title.

I've only heard great things about Palmer. Appreciate the time you did have him part of the PH football program. Wish him and his family the very best going forward. Hopefully he teaches the next young men the same lessons in life and football that he did with others over his career. 

13 hours ago, Blue_Crue said:

So who gets the job next? Names front runners??

Great question. Who are the top 5 current coaches in SWVA? I'd have to go with 1)Turner (Union), 2) Wells (Richlands), 3)Owens (Wise), 4)Robinson (Chilhowie) and 5) Palmer (Graham). I'm probably leaving off some good ones but out of those five I don't see any of them leaving to coach at Patrick Henry. Probably going to have find a good coordinator or younger coach with less experience if you're PH. 

They should try to get Richie Thomas back. Not sure if he would be interested, but he retired from Wythe County last year. He had some success there in the 90s, and it's his alma mater. Worth a shot.

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

If your child's math or science teacher left without calling a meeting would you still be upset?

Well, yeah i would!! Ritchie Thomas would be great! It was just a shock to our senses, that are already shocked, due to the pandemic.  I will miss coach palmer very much, but in my humble opinion alumni make better coaches. So, they took our fight song away, our coach is leaving, and those of us that bleed blue, or rebels for ever are stuck! Change is hard! No matter how its brought upon! All the rebel nation can do is support PHHS! Thanks guys for being a sounding board, for aggravated parents.

On 4/3/2020 at 5:58 PM, Phfan said:

Just like Galax, or any other small school in rural Virginia, PH was dam lucky to have such an incredible coach for as long as PH did!  Be grateful for what Palmer built and help the incoming staff continue the momentum going forward.  Or continue to criticize and be "that guy" and watch the program go back to what it was in 2009, 2010 and 2011!!!

Mark is a guy I respected as a player when he was at Ervinton.   He always treated me the same then as he did years later when officiating his games at St Paul or PH.  Its a big blow for PH as he rebuilt that program from next to nothing.  I wish him nothing but the best in KY.

I'm figuring he's gonna draw his Va retirement and still work. Can't blame him for that, plus he's moving to bourbon country. Pulled the name of the place up on Google just to see where it was and three distilleries popped up. I always thought he was a good guy, hope he succeeds.