Undefeated and Untied Teams in our Coverage Area

Just now, Blue Cannonball said:

Agree with those as interesting matchups — would be some fun Blue-White games at Legion! 

Splitting hairs, but I think you mean the ‘96 team. Even though ‘97 won the Div 3 title, I think the ‘96 team that lost to Brookville in the semis, was a more talented, dominant team — Shoe, Beasley, and some other big linemen were seniors in ‘96. Just goes to show you anything can happen in the playoffs...I say we beat Brookville 9 out of 10 times in ‘96, but Jefferson Forrest (who we beat in ‘97) probably gets us 9 out of 10 times. 

You're right.  I was off by a year thinking Jake and Beas graduated together, but (as usual) was wrong).

4 minutes ago, used2blarge said:

You're right.  I was off by a year thinking Jake and Beas graduated together, but (as usual) was wrong).

No worries — these more recent GC teams are tough to keep track of with all of our fifth year seniors (hold backs)! 😂😂😂

4 hours ago, RCITYHOO said:

71 & 72 Radford teams were loaded. In the 2 years they had like 20 players go D1. That's loaded.

And early 90's Pulaski Co. teams won 1 Div. 6 state title  and were nationally USA Today Top 25 ranked at one point.  That's about as good as it gets in these parts.

3 hours ago, SW_VA_boy said:

And early 90's Pulaski Co. teams won 1 Div. 6 state title  and were nationally USA Today Top 25 ranked at one point.  That's about as good as it gets in these parts.

Had 1989 Graham not lost to Salem, they’d be in that conversation too.  Early 90s Pulaski was scary good.  Though the 1992 team won the title, I’d argue the 1993 D6 Runner-Up team was even better (I think this one was the one that was ranked).  No one was even close to them until the 2nd round of the playoffs.  That’s probably the best team in SWVA history not to win a state title.

51 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Had 1989 Graham not lost to Salem, they’d be in that conversation too.  Early 90s Pulaski was scary good.  Though the 1992 team won the title, I’d argue the 1993 D6 Runner-Up team was even better (I think this one was the one that was ranked).  No one was even close to them until the 2nd round of the playoffs.  That’s probably the best team in SWVA history not to win a state title.

I had no idea Pulaski was in the national top 25, that's wild. I read an old article and they were ranked 19th after winning it in 1992 and going into 1993. They mentioned Shayne Graham, he was an NFL kicker for over a decade I believe. 

I was at the D6 state championship games in 1992 and 1993 with Shayne Graham's uncle.  He was the plant manager of the glass/mirror plant in Galax where I worked every afternoon all through high school.  Pulaski beat Thomas Dale in 1992 to win the state championship 35-20 in something of an upset.  Ken Oxendine was Dale's superstar.  Ox had a very good game if memory serves but Pulaski played a solid game.  Pulaski lost to EC Glass and Salem early in the 1992 season.  They beat James Robinson 12-10 on four Shayne Graham field goals in the state semifinals that year.  If memory serves, Dale had throttled everyone all season and was ranked in the USA Today pole before Pulaski beat them.  Which likely led to Pulaski's ranking going into the 1993 season.

Annandale beat Thomas Dale in the semifinals and Pulaski in the finals the following season and would win 26 consecutive games along with the 1993 and 1994 state titles.  I remember those Annandale teams being very balanced and almost impossible to score on.  Seems like they only allowed a shade under 200 points for the entire 1993 and 1994 seasons.  And that includes giving up 41 points to GW Danville in the 1994 state championship game.  No high-end D1 talent on those two Annandale teams but 20+ players going on to play at places like Georgetown, Towson, Bowie State and Howard if I remember correctly.  

On 5/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, BigWinners said:

Tom Turner never had an undefeated season? That's crazy. Looks like he had a good chance in 1993, undefeated going into the state title game but lost 10-6. They won a state title after going 5-5 in the regular season, talk about getting hot at the perfect time.

The 93 team may have been Turners best team ever.  Everyone from Appalachia knows the circumstances why they lost state but I won't get in to that it still makes me sick.  But they did turn around the next year and beat the same team 72-7.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, BigWinners said:

Tom Turner never had an undefeated season? That's crazy. Looks like he had a good chance in 1993, undefeated going into the state title game but lost 10-6. They won a state title after going 5-5 in the regular season, talk about getting hot at the perfect time.

The 93 team may have been Turners best team ever.  Everyone from Appalachia knows the circumstances why they lost state but I won't get in to that it still makes me sick.  But they did turn around the next year and beat the same team 72-7.

Edited by goose111874

That's not a story Im privy to, I do vaguely remember hearing there was some controversy around those two years but I dunno what happened, none of.my business really. But that seemed like Tom's best shot at an undefeated season. A down-ish PV team, not a dominant GC or Burton team, etc.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:30 PM, BigWinners said:

That's not a story Im privy to, I do vaguely remember hearing there was some controversy around those two years but I dunno what happened, none of.my business really. But that seemed like Tom's best shot at an undefeated season. A down-ish PV team, not a dominant GC or Burton team, etc.

There was an ejected player in previous game so bye vhsl rules he was suppose to be ineligible for state game but somehow ended up playing in game so when the ball was kicked off Appy lost state know matter the outcome.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:49 PM, BigWinners said:

Ah that stinks. I'd rather lose the game in that scenario then, to win then have it taken away is worse IMO

Yeah they ended up losing in last minute but when you know you've done forfeited game how hard are you really playing.  I'm still unaware why the player was allowed to play in the game, maybe someone who played on that team can explain why.  But beating them by nearly 70 the next year must have helped.

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah they ended up losing in last minute but when you know you've done forfeited game how hard are you really playing.  I'm still unaware why the player was allowed to play in the game, maybe someone who played on that team can explain why.  But beating them by nearly 70 the next year must be helped.

I couldn't remember why he wasn't supposed to play in the championship game(I was thinking it had something to do with a birthdate dispute), but I do remember he got a court injunction allowing him to play. I have tried to find a news article about it, but not much online from '93.... that's free anyways.

3 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I couldn't remember why he wasn't supposed to play in the championship game(I was thinking it had something to do with a birthdate dispute), but I do remember he got a court injunction allowing him to play. I have tried to find a news article about it, but not much online from '93.... that's free anyways.

He got ejected in half state game but I wasn't sure how he was able to play.  Seems like he would've sit out knowing he was costing team a chance at state

1 minute ago, goose111874 said:

He got ejected in half state game but I wasn't sure how he was able to play.  Seems like he would've sit out knowing he was costing team a chance at state

I agree and I think that part was the real stink. Also why the team felt it was in a no win situation. Should have put the team first. Guess it was the principle of it. I don't recall what happened after the game as far as the injunction/eligibility went.

I have searched high and low. Found articles before, after and about the game itself, but no mention of the events concerning the player.

I know who the player is  i didn't wanna mention his name but I know he was a senior so I'm not sure if that's the reason he was allowed to play or not.  I think one of the posters on here is appy93 so maybe he will fill us in it he sees this (unless it's him were talking about lol)