Georgetown's Mac McClung to enter transfer portal

7 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

He played one season under Pearl.  He was a Buzz Peterson recruit and was on the NBA trajectory when Pearl got to TN his SR year.  Thats kind of like saying Coach K got Zion to the NBA.

That's why I said he played under Pearl and not that he was recruited by Pearl.  And Coach K was important in getting Zion to the draft, he made sure he kept his weight in check and helped him showcase against the best. 

I'm not sure if Watson was a sure fire NBA guy going into his last year, but at the very least playing under Pearl did not hurt his stock. 

On the Red Raiders twitter site...

Mac being welcomed on board via the following:

Jarrett Culver/Minnesota Timberwolves

Patrick Mahomes II/ KC Chiefs

Trae Young/ ATL Hawks

Zhaire Smith/ Philadelphia Sixers

Good luck Mac from your SWVA fan base

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

McClung to Texas Tech. 

He’s gonna have to defend there or he’s not going to see the floor, regardless of how good a shooter he is.  He’s also got loads of competition at that spot, so hopefully their iron will sharpen his.

He’s pretty much Davide Moretti’s replacement.  Moretti had much better touch,  but I think offensively McClung is more crafty and adept at making his own shot.  He’s also not going to be allowed to be a pure volume shooter in that scheme.

Very questionable fit, but Beard’s personality is infectious, and he can sell the Hell out of his program.  Best of luck, Mac!  

I’m really surprised he chose Texas Tech in my opinion I thought that would be last school on his list he would’ve chosen because they play defense there lol and if he doesn’t learn to play on the defensive end he won’t be playing that much. 

• 6 months later...

Guys, been reading this thread.  Perhaps we have some Appalachian Bubble Vision (I'm guilty of that many times).  Texas Tech just played for a national title.  Their coach and staff is among the BEST in America.  They are in the Big 12, but what many of you may not know about Texas Tech is........they have a HUGE Conglomerate.  It's one of the largest schools in the country and in the Southwest, trust me, Texas Tech has prowess.  The exposure comparing Texas Tech and Georgetown isn't in the same ballpark.  The kid wasn't getting the ball enough at Georgetown and it was obvious.  Texas Tech is bigger.  He plays for a team that is ranked in the top 13 in the country (possibly another final four team as the Red Raiders are very good again (and he's leading them in scoring).  The dude made a brilliant choice and of all the schools mentioned, he went to the right one.  He also went to the best one with the best basketball program at this very time.  Texas Tech is going to be there with Kansas and West Virginia to battle it out for a Big 12 Title and likely the Raiders will be a top 4 seed when all is said and done.  The kid made a brilliant choice.  The only better choice out of all of those schools mentioned as potential transfer material would have been BYU (homer I am).

Beard will force him to play defense to see the court, which given his historic lack of drive and desire on that end, is the very best thing for him.  Much improvement to do on that end (and with lateral quickness) to sniff an NBA roster, but this gives him the very best chance to do so.  Great fit, it appears.

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Beard will force him to play defense to see the court, which given his historic lack of drive and desire on that end, is the very best thing for him.  Much improvement to do on that end (and with lateral quickness) to sniff an NBA roster, but this gives him the very best chance to do so.  Great fit, it appears.

Agree 100%.  Lateral quickness will be/is a huge issue for him when talking about the NBA level.  Even with desire and good coaching to get better defensively, does he have the lateral quickness to cover at the NBA level.  One thing he does have to his advantage to compensate is his arm length and ups.  He has long arms and 6'2 is more like 6'3 or 6'4 with his wingspan, but he had insane hops which can allow him to play off at least a little bit to anticipate the dribble.  It will be interesting to see.  I hope he makes it.  He's in a good program and I'm sure he knows and understands that much like UVA, same for Texas Tech, if you don't play defense, you don't play, period.

3 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Agree 100%.  Lateral quickness will be/is a huge issue for him when talking about the NBA level.  Even with desire and good coaching to get better defensively, does he have the lateral quickness to cover at the NBA level.  One thing he does have to his advantage to compensate is his arm length and ups.  He has long arms and 6'2 is more like 6'3 or 6'4 with his wingspan, but he had insane hops which can allow him to play off at least a little bit to anticipate the dribble.  It will be interesting to see.  I hope he makes it.  He's in a good program and I'm sure he knows and understands that much like UVA, same for Texas Tech, if you don't play defense, you don't play, period.

When it comes down to his NBA prospects, I think he’s a classic “tweener”.  You only see prospects with his measurables “stick” as a PG, and his A/TO ratio is not at all good for that slot (just a fraction over 1:1).  He’s badly undersized for a SG/wing slot in the NBA.  His 3-point shooting thus far in his collegiate career has been dreadful (30.5% on reasonably high volume).  He’s good-not-great on 2s (46.5%) and FTs (80.5%).

There’s time to turn those numbers around, and time to improve some of the measurables.  When all’s said and done, I think he carves out a really nice, lengthy career overseas.  Not a bad life to be pulling $250K/year while living in the French Riviera.  

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

When it comes down to his NBA prospects, I think he’s a classic “tweener”.  You only see prospects with his measurables “stick” as a PG, and his A/TO ratio is not at all good for that slot (just a fraction over 1:1).  He’s badly undersized for a SG/wing slot in the NBA.  His 3-point shooting thus far in his collegiate career has been dreadful (30.5% on reasonably high volume).  He’s good-not-great on 2s (46.5%) and FTs (80.5%).

There’s time to turn those numbers around, and time to improve some of the measurables.  When all’s said and done, I think he carves out a really nice, lengthy career overseas.  Not a bad life to be pulling $250K/year while living in the French Riviera.  

That's been my main criticism, his shooting from deep. If he was hitting 40% from 3pt, may be he makes an NBA roster. But with his porous efforts shooting as of now, he's not gonna sniff an NBA roster, maybe a G-League team. Europe isn't a bad option, the money seems to be pretty good. China is also an emerging option, the earning potential is higher but harder to make it over there.

Agree with both of you guys, but like you mentioned.....lets wait and see.  I think he's likely Europe Bound, but he's only half way done in college.  Lets see what he does in these next 2 years.  He's in the right program and he's leading them in scoring.  If any kid has the work ethic to get better defensively and with his jump shot, it's McClung.  Ain't nobody gonna out work that kid in the gym.   I think he's Europe bound as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up scoring 22 a game this year at TT and gets that 3 pt percentage up to 40% by early senior year.  Wouldn't shock me at all.  

Don't know if it will hold, but through 4 games, McClung leads Texas Tech in scoring at 20 points per game.  He is shooting 53.3 percent from the field, and his 3 point percentage is 40%.  At Georgetown, they would not give the kid the ball.  When he got the ball, he had to completely create his own shot.  No ball screens, nada.  At Texas Tech, with just a little bit of coaching and lack of jealousy by his teammates, he's performing like an All American.  Again, don't know if the numbers hold up, but if they do, he's going to be on an All American team this year.

4 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Don't know if it will hold, but through 4 games, McClung leads Texas Tech in scoring at 20 points per game.  He is shooting 53.3 percent from the field, and his 3 point percentage is 40%.  At Georgetown, they would not give the kid the ball.  When he got the ball, he had to completely create his own shot.  No ball screens, nada.  At Texas Tech, with just a little bit of coaching and lack of jealousy by his teammates, he's performing like an All American.  Again, don't know if the numbers hold up, but if they do, he's going to be on an All American team this year.

Did you watch him at GT? He had the ball in his hands a ton. He got his shots there. TTU is a much,much better situation but the issues at GT weren't about him not getting shots

He's looking good out there and he's scoring 20 points per game at TTU and shoots 40% from three and 53.3% from the field.   Much more ball screens at Texas Tech compared to Georgetown and it's showing in Lubbock by his shooting percentage.  His defense has improved as well.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:28 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

He's looking good out there and he's scoring 20 points per game at TTU and shoots 40% from three and 53.3% from the field.   Much more ball screens at Texas Tech compared to Georgetown and it's showing in Lubbock by his shooting percentage.  His defense has improved as well.

Now there we agree, TT is doing a great job of setting screen for him off the ball and allowing him to catch in much better positions. 

• 3 months later...

I’m old enough to remember when I watched Mac McClung in back-to-back
@VHSL_ state tournaments and was told he wouldn’t make it at the next level. Hope those folks are doing well these days.

Lived up to the billing.

Big 12 Newcomer of the Year

All-Big 12 Second Team

Big 12 All-Newcomer Team

#4To1 

_Dg_bqVh_bigger.jpg

great state

Congrats Mac,  SWVA native and Gate City grad

59 minutes ago, trublue said:

Associated Press honor

2020-21 Associated Press All-Big 12 first-team pick: Mac McClung, Texas Tech, Jr., 6-2, 185, Gate City, Virginia

Imagine that. The kid that could never amount to anything at a D1 level has made first team in a power 5 league. 🤷🏻‍♂️