Coach James resigns at Pulaski

Stranger danger

My first five phone calls would be:

1. Stephen Magenbauer (You'd be crazy not to ask)
2. Jeff Woody
3. Mark Dixon
4. Burt Torrence
5. Kevin Clifford

There's 11 state championships between them, all with at least one as a head coach.

The truth is, Dixon all but took the head coaching job at Monticello High School in Charlottesville back in December before his wife changed his mind for him.  Pulaski isn't very far of a drive from Galax and Mrs. Dixon can remain close to her children at Virginia Tech. 

Not an inevitability but something that makes a lot of sense on several levels.

29 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

Just heard James took a teaching job at george wythe

Southwest Times article mentions that.  What's the over/under on "Roon Nation" screaming for James to replace Harner?

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2020/05/james-steps-down-as-cougar-football-head-coach/

10 hours ago, sixcat said:

I know Kevin pretty well.  I don't see him leaving Glenvar.  His family is deeply rooted in the Salem/south Roanoke area. 

But if I'm an AD, I'm still reaching out to him.

Pulaski is only 45 minutes down the road. If he put in for the Fleming job, surely he would be interested 

14 hours ago, Redneck Jesus said:

Pulaski is only 45 minutes down the road. If he put in for the Fleming job, surely he would be interested 

Fleming is 5 minutes from his house. Pulaski is an hour plus. 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:13 AM, sixcat said:

The truth is, Dixon all but took the head coaching job at Monticello High School in Charlottesville back in December before his wife changed his mind for him.  Pulaski isn't very far of a drive from Galax and Mrs. Dixon can remain close to her children at Virginia Tech. 

Not an inevitability but something that makes a lot of sense on several levels.

Agreed.  Dixon could make that program into a power in quick order, and the fit makes sense.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, sixcat said:

Southwest Times article mentions that.  What's the over/under on "Roon Nation" screaming for James to replace Harner?

https://www.southwesttimes.com/2020/05/james-steps-down-as-cougar-football-head-coach/

probably not this year but next i would say. has to be uncomfortable having another coach teaching with you.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Galax’s Mark Dixon is now the coach at Pulaski. Brady with the scoop. 

Good for Brady!  It's been a not so well kept secret in Galax all week.  With Pulaski's athletes and facilities, he can do some incredible things as long as administration supports him.  

Edit to add; I wish Dixon well.  He certainly changed the culture for all Galax athletics.  The coaching position will be a far sight more attractive now than it was when he was hired in 2010.

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Good for Brady!  It's been a not so well kept secret in Galax all week.  With Pulaski's athletes and facilities, he can do some incredible things as long as administration supports him.  

Edit to add; I wish Dixon well.  He certainly changed the culture for all Galax athletics.  The coaching position will be a far sight more attractive now than it was when he was hired in 2010.

Where does that leave Galax? A team that competed for a state title and should be very good again. Will they go in house to hire someone?

22 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Where does that leave Galax? A team that competed for a state title and should be very good again. Will they go in house to hire someone?

It’s hard to say at this point. I don’t believe anyone in Galax is surprised by this so wheels should have been turning for a while now. Dixon all but accepted the head coaching position at Monticello a few months ago but couldn’t convince his wife to move that far away from her family. 

Shane Allen (Tazewell) and Steven Peoples are already on staff. I’m not sure either are interested in that responsibility at this point. Allen has small children and Peoples is a year out of college. Not sure he’s ready at this point. 

When advertised, it will get much more attention than it got when Dixon took the job though. Much more attractive position now than it was a decade ago. 

19 hours ago, sixcat said:

Agreed on all counts.  Pulaski has the potential to be a force in 4A, and Dixon has a proven track record.  That being said, he left Galax far better than he found it (like any good Hoo).

So Dixon can build a program, no doubt, but will his offense work at the 4A level the way he ran it (Single back, multiple TE/Wings, not much passing) or will he adapt with more talent?

Dixon also played a TREMENDOUSLY tough schedule at Galax, will he replicate that at the 4A level?  

Wish him the best, always enjoyed watching Galax play 

8 minutes ago, redtiger said:

So Dixon can build a program, no doubt, but will his offense work at the 4A level the way he ran it (Single back, multiple TE/Wings, not much passing) or will he adapt with more talent?

Dixon also played a TREMENDOUSLY tough schedule at Galax, will he replicate that at the 4A level?  

Wish him the best, always enjoyed watching Galax play 

The past two seasons, Dixon's offense has been pretty balanced.  As a matter of fact, Galax had two QB's throw for over 1,000 yards in 2018 to go along with a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard RB.  After graduation of the senior QB last season, the returning QB threw for 2,000 yards to go along with 30 TD's.  Galax also had a 2,000 yard RB and a 1,500 yard WR last season.

I don't expect to see him revert back to a 95% ground attack.  Especially with more weapons at his disposal.  

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The past two seasons, Dixon's offense has been pretty balanced.  As a matter of fact, Galax had two QB's throw for over 1,000 yards in 2018 to go along with a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard RB.  After graduation of the senior QB last season, the returning QB threw for 2,000 yards to go along with 30 TD's.  Galax also had a 2,000 yard RB and a 1,500 yard WR last season.

I don't expect to see him revert back to a 95% ground attack.  Especially with more weapons at his disposal.  

Pickett - 128 completions, 229 attempts, 2,479 yards, 36 TD's and 10 Int's

Brown - 231 carries, 2,314 yards

Johnson - 43 receptions for 1,065 yards