No Summer Practice or Workouts Until Further Notice Per VHSL

Gridiron60

Haven't read all the articles and posts lately so I apologize if it's been mentioned already but is it even a possibility that football could be moved to spring.  Wasn't sure do to recruiting and the other sports being played at that time.

4 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

With China getting this second wave, I have a feeling things may be in trouble for the fall.

China’s going to continue to get wave on wave, as their policies are intended to eradicate the virus entirely.  They can manage that with their totalitarian government.  America’s policy is to prevent hospitals from becoming overwhelmed, which if sustained will lead to a very lengthy, but ultimately declining, slope.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, #1BLUESFAN said:

Unless there is another bad break out I look for va to have football...they might limit the number of fans that gets in..that would suck but what ever is the safest way to make it happen in good with that

good. that means us true union fans will have to be in line 3 days early instead of 2

1 hour ago, bristol8434 said:

Could we see no summer workouts and the teams just get the two weeks of practice before the season starts. 

Imo its a definite possibility.  2 weeks if 2 a days, then start the season.  Its not the best idea but it could happen. 

I don't think they would let them play a full season with that short of a practice period. Could be facing a shortened season, one or no scrimmages?  Only district games....etc. VHSL wants to shorten the season by 2 to 3 weeks anyway.  There may be a short season and no playoffs this year...around that time is when flu season starts to pick up speed.

Will the players have to wear masks alongside their helmets, and mouth guards! LOL!  My daughter attends UVA in Charlottesville and their going to release mid- June their college plans.. will nowhere be classes as usual. Our local college at UVA -Wise will take their directions from Charlottesville. This virus has dragged out longer than I anticipated. I'm sure it is emotionally tormenting to coaches and players and fans in all levels of sports. I walked by a Little League baseball field today and was saddened that the little guys weren't playing ball today. So sad. 

9 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

Will the players have to wear masks alongside their helmets, and mouth guards! LOL!  My daughter attends UVA in Charlottesville and their going to release mid- June their college plans.. will nowhere be classes as usual. Our local college at UVA -Wise will take their directions from Charlottesville. This virus has dragged out longer than I anticipated. I'm sure it is emotionally tormenting to coaches and players and fans in all levels of sports. I walked by a Little League baseball field today and was saddened that the little guys weren't playing ball today. So sad. 

UVA released yesterday its plans for the fall, which involves in-person classes resuming August 25th and ending before Thanksgiving.  Some special requirements for large lecture classes (online, with in-person discussion sections).  Options for students to take a gap semester or year.  

20 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

UVA released yesterday its plans for the fall, which involves in-person classes resuming August 25th and ending before Thanksgiving.  Some special requirements for large lecture classes (online, with in-person discussion sections).  Options for students to take a gap semester or year.  

Yes I read the email about start up in August.. My daughter has an apartment leased in Charlottesville beginning June. Will not be the same with the social distancing in classes, dining halls, etc.. She loves UVA and so many friends there. I hate it for all the disruption for our kids and schools and sports. Mid - June seemed to be more clarification of their reopening. Am I Correct in this?

Serious question, if there's no fall athletics in VA, is there any chance we see lower funded schools opt to not have any athletics for the 2020/2021 school year due to lack of football revenue? Would local school boards be willing to bail out the athletic departments if they can't afford to pay for non revenue activities without football?

Edited by Plywood_King
Forgot what year it was

4 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Serious question, if there's no fall athletics in VA, is there any chance we see lower funded schools opt to not have any athletics for the 2020/2021 school year due to lack of football revenue? Would local school boards be willing to bail out the athletic departments if they can't afford to pay for non revenue activities without football?

That’s the worry. 
Football pays for every sport not named basketball. 
So if you don’t have football with fans (cause football without fans puts you further in the hole than not having the sport at all(, can you have any sports even if the pandemic subsides. 

757TeamzVerified account @757teamz

"We’ve talked about different scenarios, but until we know what it looks like … I have no idea.” .@VHSL_ Executive Director Billy Haun said while there have been discussions about what could happen this fall, it’s too early to determine anything.

VHSL waiting for Gov. Northam before making a decision on fall sports

By Greg Giesen

757Teamz |

Jun 01, 2020 | 5:45 PM

great state