Richlands staff

local_insight

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Yes the M7 has dominated, but theres more bad basketball than there is softball.  Both have tons of youth participation.  We are certainly ready to kickoff 2020 this weekend with the yellow ball.

Agreed, and I think it's bc there's more competitive softball played, with traveling teams and such allowing the girls to really develop their skills quicker.

15 minutes ago, Westisthebest said:

So Thad is gone. What will Richlands do this late if there is a season?

WOW !!  you have got to be kidding me !  This will do a lot of damage to our program if true !  What could have happened to cause him to leave this quickly after getting the job ?  If it is because of the questions about whether there will be a season or not,  that is up in the air in most places as of right now.  

This is just sad that it would happen now and put the program in such a bad place........if it is true that he has left.

Word I got is that Wells will continue to coach the football team.  He just has no interest in teaching and/or serving as athletic director.

No idea how that works from a policy perspective.  But it seems to have some credence given the lack of reporting about his resignation (which would be a pretty big story).

Just now, RichlandsAlum said:

Word I got is that Wells will continue to coach the football team.  He just has no interest in teaching and/or serving as athletic director.

No idea how that works from a policy perspective.  But it seems to have some credence given the lack of reporting about his resignation (which would be a pretty big story).

Correct.  Resigned as a teacher and as AD, will remain the football coach.

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Apparently the AD duties have already been reassigned on an interim basis.  Without knowing exactly what subject he was hired to cover, it probably won't be hard to fill the teaching vacancy.

This does seem to represent a sea change in terms of longstanding policy requiring coaches to also function as faculty members.

9 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

6 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Apparently the AD duties have already been reassigned on an interim basis.  Without knowing exactly what subject he was hired to cover, it probably won't be hard to fill the teaching vacancy.

This does seem to represent a sea change in terms of longstanding policy requiring coaches to also function as faculty members.

Thank the good lord !  So glad to hear that for the sake of the kids and the program as a whole !  But I thought it was policy that you had to be a member of the faculty as a teacher to be able to coach also?????

Has that policy changed ?   

10 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Graham has had some coaches in the past that weren’t faculty.  Rare, but it has happened.

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham has had some coaches in the past that weren’t faculty.  Rare, but it has happened.

Well,  I guess that answers that question.  My wife teaches in Russell Co so I will have to ask her what their policy is when she gets home.  Is there a state wide policy or is it a county by county thing ?

4 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

From the way back era, I believe that Carlock wanted a deal where he could just coach football.  Superintendents wouldn't agree to it -- so his employment as a "guidance counselor" was apparently the compromise that allowed both sides to save face.

4 minutes ago, Bigrhsfan said:

Well,  I guess that answers that question.  My wife teaches in Russell Co so I will have to ask her what their policy is when she gets home.  Is there a state wide policy or is it a county by county thing ?

Apparently it is county by county.  Although it has assumed somewhat traditional status, the employment of faculty members as coaches is probably driven by budget considerations as much as anything else.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I can't remember a head coach ever not being a teacher or on the faculty in some way. Are there any other examples around here im missing?

Rather unusual in football, but very common in "non revenue" sports -- particularly soccer.  Richlands already has one other example in Fred Phillips (boys basketball coach who is actually employed by the Town of Richlands).

2 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Rather unusual in football, but very common in "non revenue" sports -- particularly soccer.  Richlands already has one other example in Fred Phillips (boys basketball coach who is actually employed by the Town of Richlands).

If they’d given the nod to Davis instead of Wells they wouldn’t have had this issue. I could be wrong but Davis had taught in Tazewell Co. for several years. Didn’t Phillips used to work for schools at one time? 

4 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Subject was PE & Weightlifting same as Coach Mance had is my understanding. 

Richlands has had two basketball coaches in a row that weren’t system employees, Tazewell’s baseball coach unless I’m mistaken works at the prison and didn’t Graham’s football coach still work for the town police his first season? 

1 hour ago, Westisthebest said:

Just doesn't make sense. I thought he was a teacher. Does he have another profession that will benefit him in Richlands? He wont be in the halls to be able to recruit either.

He can better support his family by not being a teacher. He doesn’t need to teach to coach. There is no impending doom smoke signal here. Dude just wants more time with his growing family. 

The current and former Richlands basketball coaches are non-teachers. Fred works for the town (although he did work for the school system at one point in time) and Fuller owns a pharmacy. 

The end is not near. The world is not crashing down. Nothing changes.