09-11  A  Giles

09-18  A  Union

10-01  H  Princeton  (Thursday)

10-09  H  Lebanon

10-16  A  Virginia High

10-24  H  Richlands (Saturday 1:00)

10-30  H  Fort Chiswell

11-06  A  Marion

In 2021 Graham will drop Fort Chiswell and Princeton and pick up Galax and Blacksburg

Looks like at Tazwell and at Union could be really big for Region D standings. Everyone expects Tazwell to be a legit playoff team and Union always seems to be in the hunt, so going 2-0 on those road games could give Graham the path for hosting the 2D playoffs (providing they happen).

It's a crazy year even without all the virus stuff. Two of the projected top teams are ushering in new coaches, Union has to develop a new identity with Polier being gone and Graham has to fill some very important holes left by big time talent like Lester. With the shortened prep time, this could prove a great opportunity for a team that is usually looking in from the outside to come in and surprise most and contend for the region title. Is Tazwell that team? 

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Looks like at Tazwell and at Union could be really big for Region D standings. Everyone expects Tazwell to be a legit playoff team and Union always seems to be in the hunt, so going 2-0 on those road games could give Graham the path for hosting the 2D playoffs (providing they happen).

It's a crazy year even without all the virus stuff. Two of the projected top teams are ushering in new coaches, Union has to develop a new identity with Polier being gone and Graham has to fill some very important holes left by big time talent like Lester. With the shortened prep time, this could prove a great opportunity for a team that is usually looking in from the outside to come in and surprise most and contend for the region title. Is Tazwell that team? 

The entire SWD is going to be at a disadvantage in terms of playoff seeding because they have to play Marion, which will go 0-10 and possibly in historically bad fashion.  There are no power points to be gained there.  Lebanon and Virginia High will be marginally improved, but I’m not sure that translates into more wins.  The Top 3 in the SWD, though, should have 21+ wins between them.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

The entire SWD is going to be at a disadvantage in terms of playoff seeding because they have to play Marion, which will go 0-10 and possibly in historically bad fashion.  There are no power points to be gained there.  Lebanon and Virginia High will be marginally improved, but I’m not sure that translates into more wins.  The Top 3 in the SWD, though, should have 21+ wins between them.

I can't imagine Lee will be any good but I don't see them at 0-10 so the M7 will have that advantage but then it's also very possible the M7 beats up on each other and with Abingdon being there, every M7 team could end up with 3 losses. I feel like Wise is the favorite but I'm notnsure they are a big time lock or anything, Ridgeview could be very very good with them right HC. Union is usually always good for 7-8 wins but this season both SWD teams could give them out of district losses and then it's a tough battle not to lose one or two more games to AHS/RV/WC. 

I think Tazwell and Ridgeview are the wildcards. Either team could win nine games and be at the top of 2D or they could lose five games and have to go to a top three seed in opened of playoffs. Ridgeview has enough talent and will prob have the best player on the field in every reg season game they play and that's a huge advantage in HSFB but they've became the Michigan or Dallas of 2D, perpetual underachievers who have a ton of talent but can't win big games. Tazwell seems more bad luck in recent years after their rebuild, the injuries have ravaged them. 

I believe we will see a M7 team at the top spot in 2D but 2-4 could all be SWD teams.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I can't imagine Lee will be any good but I don't see them at 0-10 so the M7 will have that advantage but then it's also very possible the M7 beats up on each other and with Abingdon being there, every M7 team could end up with 3 losses. I feel like Wise is the favorite but I'm notnsure they are a big time lock or anything, Ridgeview could be very very good with them right HC. Union is usually always good for 7-8 wins but this season both SWD teams could give them out of district losses and then it's a tough battle not to lose one or two more games to AHS/RV/WC. 

I think Tazwell and Ridgeview are the wildcards. Either team could win nine games and be at the top of 2D or they could lose five games and have to go to a top three seed in opened of playoffs. Ridgeview has enough talent and will prob have the best player on the field in every reg season game they play and that's a huge advantage in HSFB but they've became the Michigan or Dallas of 2D, perpetual underachievers who have a ton of talent but can't win big games. Tazwell seems more bad luck in recent years after their rebuild, the injuries have ravaged them. 

I believe we will see a M7 team at the top spot in 2D but 2-4 could all be SWD teams.

I’m awfully biased when it comes to Tazewell, especially given my duties now, so I won’t be too terribly candid here, but I don’t foresee them finishing lower than last season, especially if the those who were injured come back fully healthy.  The SWD race is going to be fun, especially with Graham at Tazewell in Week 2.

Graham lost a significant amount; Richlands lost less, but a new coaching staff with what amounts to zero prep time could lead to a learning curve.  I agree with you on Ridgeview though, nothing between 5-5 and 9-1 would surprise me.

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Come on man Marion will go 1-9 don’t count us out yet... lol it’s really bad here at Marion I’ve only been to 3 games in the last 2 seasons and before that I went to every one of them no matter the location

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I’m awfully biased when it comes to Tazewell, especially given my duties now, so I won’t be too terribly candid here, but I don’t foresee them finishing lower than last season, especially if the those who were injured come back fully healthy.  The SWD race is going to be fun, especially with Graham at Tazewell in Week 2.

Graham lost a significant amount; Richlands lost less, but a new coaching staff with what amounts to zero prep time could lead to a learning curve.  I agree with you on Ridgeview though, nothing between 5-5 and 9-1 would surprise me.

If Tazwell had to come to Graham, would that change your opinion at all? Graham isn't really known as this dominant home team, but any time the new kid on the block is challenging for the top spot, youd much rather make them come to you. 

I feel like Richlands is in a better spot than RV, they are bringing in an established coach who knows how to win, they return a ton of talent and will have the best skill player on the field maybe in every game they play in the regular season and it seems they can may be get settled in quicker than RV. I wouldn't be shocked if they won the SWD, but then I also wouldn't be shocked if they finish 6-4. Both teams have a truly exceptional talent at a skill position (I feel like Webb is better as a WR, but getting him 5-6 touches as a runner makes sense) but it seems Richlands returns more overall talent. 

And is this the year Tazwell was kinda building towards or was it last season and then they just had terrible luck w injuries? I know they were fully rebuilding and really thought a class of younger kids could bring Tazwell back as a legit 2D contender, but I am not sure if this is the year they were circling in particular. 

1 hour ago, Canes00 said:

Come on man Marion will go 1-9 don’t count us out yet... lol it’s really bad here at Marion I’ve only been to 3 games in the last 2 seasons and before that I went to every one of them no matter the location

It's crazy. It wasn't long ago Marion was winning 9-10 games and competing for home playoff games and now they're in the toilet. That usually signals a head coach who maybe has overstayed his welcome or an exceptional class of kids graduated and left the cupboard bare.

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

That usually signals a head coach who maybe has overstayed his welcome

He's been head man for one year, but there are a lot of folks who still agree with that.

7 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

He's been head man for one year, but there are a lot of folks who still agree with that.

I didn't know that. Then I don't believe it's fair to judge a coach after one year barring something crazy 

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I didn't know that. Then I don't believe it's fair to judge a coach after one year barring something crazy 

I'm with you, bearing that in mind, the counter argument that folks have is that it was an internal hire, he didn't change the offensive and defensive schemes, so there should have been a learning curve. He knew all the players on the team and lost fewer than five players from the previous years team, that while not the best team in the world, was competitive in every game of the 2018 season minus a game against George Wythe where the wheels completely came off. He returned two all-state players from the 2018 season, and 2019 still turned out to be historically bad, and by that I mean, taking whippings that the school hasn't seen since Pearl Harbor, and getting markedly worse as the season progressed, losing fundamental integrity along the way. I'm firmly in the "it's only been one year" camp, but I recognize that the folks who want blood have a firm argument.

2 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I'm with you, bearing that in mind, the counter argument that folks have is that it was an internal hire, he didn't change the offensive and defensive schemes, so there should have been a learning curve. He knew all the players on the team and lost fewer than five players from the previous years team, that while not the best team in the world, was competitive in every game of the 2018 season minus a game against George Wythe where the wheels completely came off. He returned two all-state players from the 2018 season, and 2019 still turned out to be historically bad, and by that I mean, taking whippings that the school hasn't seen since Pearl Harbor, and getting markedly worse as the season progressed, losing fundamental integrity along the way. I'm firmly in the "it's only been one year" camp, but I recognize that the folks who want blood have a firm argument.

No leadership at all the last 2 seasons on and off the field in fact I believe it’s the worst lack of leadership I’ve seen at Marion in any sport since I’ve been going to Marion games since 1987. I’m not going to get on here and hammer a bunch of kids but you’ve gotta have leaders on and off the field

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

If you thought 2019 had whippings...

I’ve said it before, but I’m legitimately worried for you all in 2020.   The one thing that stood out to me last season was that aside from Will Moss and the QB position, Marion had no size at all.  If I’m not mistaken, 4 players on the roster came in at over 200 pounds, and 2 of those were seniors.  In AA football in the 21st century, that’s a recipe for some sore, beaten down young bodies.  

Now that I’ve said that, I wouldn’t be surprised at all it Marion overhauled their coaching staff and went 9-1 in 2022.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to Marion’s performances by season.  

4 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

In this situation, I believe if Marion shows zero improvement, then it's prob time to explore other options. Marion could even lose the same amount of games but if the team shows improvement,maybe let him try to continue but if Marion stays the same or somehow gets even worse, the school has no choice. It's not as if there is zero talent, they had an All State player. So there's undoubtedly some talent in that school and it's the coach's job to get them to come out and play. But if a kid seems a team that can't win and doesn't see a path to the team getting better, why should he play? So this prob is the last year for him barring improvements. 

Marion is utterly unpredictable. Some years, they're 9-1 and playing for home playoff games and then in two years they're 0-10. Wild.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:00 PM, BigWinners said:

I think Union might possibly go 4-6, maybe even 3-7...

Definite losses to Wise Central, Ridgeview, Paintsville, Richlands and Graham.  (especially since y'all have to go to Paintsville this year and deal with KHSAA officials... lol)

Possible losses to Abingdon and Gate City as well.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:28 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

Definite losses to Wise Central, Ridgeview, Paintsville, Richlands and Graham.  (especially since y'all have to go to Paintsville this year and deal with KHSAA officials... lol)

GC lost a lot, without much to replace it unless they get some new players out.

Unions style will keep them in games they shouldnt be in. Gotta remember before they lost half of their backfield their running game was nearly impossible to stop. Yes Polier was a stud but much of that offense is based on their HBs blocking and they lost both of them last season.  Imo the Bears will run the ball well, and play tough defense. They may surprise some teams, theyre not gonna suprise Paintsville though. 

4 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Definite losses to RV, Richlands and Graham? No.

possible losses sure, but saying it's definite Union loses all those games is very premature. Graham and Wise come to BSG and Union has historically played pretty well at Richlands. 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:37 PM, BigWinners said:

And is this the year Tazwell was kinda building towards or was it last season and then they just had terrible luck w injuries? I know they were fully rebuilding and really thought a class of younger kids could bring Tazwell back as a legit 2D contender, but I am not sure if this is the year they were circling in particular. 

This is the year we been waiting for since those 20 plus freshman joined the team 3 years ago!

I just hope all the guys we lost last season with all the blew out knees can come back and play!

On 6/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, BigWinners said:

possible losses sure, but saying it's definite Union loses all those games is very premature. Graham and Wise come to BSG and Union has historically played pretty well at Richlands. 

I said a lot of that to get you fired up... Lol.

On 6/1/2020 at 2:17 PM, BigWinners said:

Let’s just hope we get to play games. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had football, it would be an abbreviated season with only district games.  That’s just me speculating I have no inside information, lol. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

Let’s just hope we get to play games. I wouldn’t be surprised if we had football, it would be an abbreviated season with only district games.  That’s just me speculating I have no inside information, lol. 

I’m with you. I could see a late September/early October start with 6-8 games being played. And I’m sure playoffs wouldn’t be shortened as well.