Any word on what will happen this fall?

The virus has thrown a lot of things out of whack. Will be hard to have things go like before right now.  What kind of format will we see take place?  

Will teams in football play a limited schedule and then have top 2 team in each district go on to a region semi and final and then play state semis and finals?  

Lots of things are going to be different this year for sure.  

What is everyone hearing out there for school and for sports in your county?

2 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

The virus has thrown a lot of things out of whack. Will be hard to have things go like before right now.  What kind of format will we see take place?  

Will teams in football play a limited schedule and then have top 2 team in each district go on to a region semi and final and then play state semis and finals?  

Lots of things are going to be different this year for sure.  

What is everyone hearing out there for school and for sports in your county?

I think it’s all contingent on what the governor says & does to be honest. I did hear start might be postponed until after Labor Day or may start virtually. I’m not sure there’s validity to either rumor or mere speculation. I believe Ralphie is supposed to address school reopening tomorrow though. 

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

It is up to Virginians. Let your governor know that you want the restrictions lifted and you will hold his party responsible. I don't think he can run again.

Nope, VA is one term for governor. 

4 hours ago, Bluefield researcher said:

It is up to Virginians. Let your governor know that you want the restrictions lifted and you will hold his party responsible. I don't think he can run again.

As I posted above in the chat, about 3-4% of the geographical area of Virginia decides the entire state for everyone else.....and that percentage of the population has a very different ideology than the majority of the rest of the state.

The Governor was supposed to address the reopening of schools last Tuesday, then moved it to today, then moved it until next tuesday.  The VHSL has already put together different scenarios, depending on when schools re-open.  (Waiting on the Governors direction).  A lot of people believe that he will keep schools closed until January.  If that happens, the VHSL is considering playing a shortened fall sports season in january and also shortening winter and spring sports season's.  That is currently worst case scenario.  But with Virginia's Governor, there is a strong possibility of an even worse case scenario.

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The Governor was supposed to address the reopening of schools last Tuesday, then moved it to today, then moved it until next tuesday.  The VHSL has already put together different scenarios, depending on when schools re-open.  (Waiting on the Governors direction).  A lot of people believe that he will keep schools closed until January.  If that happens, the VHSL is considering playing a shortened fall sports season in january and also shortening winter and spring sports season's.  That is currently worst case scenario.  But with Virginia's Governor, there is a strong possibility of an even worse case scenario.

would love to know the reason why keep closed till January ?? The good Dr Niel Ferguson whose model they used to shut down our country when he said 2.2 million would die came out and said the lock downs were pointless,  if we have stayed open the numbers would have been the same. Basically he said we should have done the same as Sweden. they stayed open he predicted 90,000 dead but they only had 4,000. crazy

8 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

would love to know the reason why keep closed till January ?? The good Dr Niel Ferguson whose model they used to shut down our country when he said 2.2 million would die came out and said the lock downs were pointless,  if we have stayed open the numbers would have been the same. Basically he said we should have done the same as Sweden. they stayed open he predicted 90,000 dead but they only had 4,000. crazy

I agree.  Also, why make a decision to close schools until January, when it is only June?  Why not say we will open after Labor - Day, for example, then push it back 2 weeiks or a month at that point, if necessary?  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I guess we will see soon.  A lot of other states have already made plans to open up schools on-time with safety measures in place.  Some states went back to school to end this year.

42 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  Also, why make a decision to close schools until January, when it is only June?  Why not say we will open after Labor - Day, for example, then push it back 2 weeiks or a month at that point, if necessary?  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I guess we will see soon.  A lot of other states have already made plans to open up schools on-time with safety measures in place.  Some states went back to school to end this year.

Agreed. I don't understand taking such drastic steps unforced. Why do something like that unless it's absolutely necessary? Give it a month or six weeks at a time. 

The VHSL is considering these potential return to football scenarios.  It's a lot to take in, but at least the VHSL is ahead of the game.

Scenario #1
First Practice Date: September 1
First Contest Date: September 18 (15 days practice, 1 scrimmage)
First Contest Date: September 25 (20 days practice, 2 scrimmages)

Option A
Region Quarterfinals: November 14
Region Semifinals: November 21
Region Finals: November 28
State Semifinals: December 5
State Championships: December 12

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 8 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 7 traditional game dates
2. Schools could squeeze in additional games dates with modified schedules (e.g., Thur.-Mon.-Fri.)
3. Maintains regular calendar for the post season.

Option B (Assumes top 4 teams per region)
Region Quarterfinals: N/A

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 9 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 8 traditional game dates
2. Schools could squeeze in additional games dates with modified schedules (e.g., Thur.-Mon.-Fri.)
3. Bringing only the top 4 teams into the playoffs opens additional week for regular season.
4. Maintains regular calendar dates for the post season.

Option C (Assumes moving state final back 1 week & top 8 teams per region)
Region Quarterfinals: November 21
Region Semifinals: November 28
Region Finals: December 5
State Semifinals: December 12
State Championships: December 19

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 9 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 8 traditional game dates
3. Moving region and state dates by one week later increases potential for inclement weather.

Option D (Assumes moving state final back 1 week & top 4 teams per region)

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 10 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 9 traditional game dates
3. Moving region and state dates by one week later increases potential for inclement weather. Bringing only the top 4 teams into the playoffs opens additional week for regular season.

Scenario #2
First Practice Date: September 15
First Contest Date: October 2 (15 days practice, 1 scrimmage)
First Contest Date: October 8 (20 days practice, 2 scrimmages)

Option A

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 6 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 5 traditional game dates

Option B (assumes top 4 teams per region)

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 7 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 6 traditional game dates
3. Maintains regular calendar for the post season, sans region quarterfinals.
4. Creates additional week for regular season games.

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 7 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 6 traditional game dates
3. Moving region and state dates 1 week later increases the weeks available for regular season games, but also increases the potential for inclement weather during region and state games.

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 8 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 7 traditional game dates
3. Moving region and state dates 1 week later increases the weeks available for regular season games, but also increases the potential for inclement weather during region and state games.

Scenario #3
First Practice Date: October 1
First Contest Date: October 19 (15 days practice, 1 scrimmage)
First Contest Date: October 24 (20 days practice, 2 scrimmages)

Option A

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 3 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 2 traditional game dates
2. Schools could squeeze in additional games dates with modified schedules (e.g., Thur.- Mon.-Fri.); Could potentially get 4 games played in the first two weeks with a modified schedule (Mon.-Fri.-Tues.-Sat.) because the first contest date would potentially be a Monday. This may not be ideal early in the season, particularly with an atypical preseason.

Option B (Assumes top 4 teams per region)

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 4 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 3 traditional game dates
2. Schools could squeeze in additional games dates with modified schedules
(e.g., Thur.-Mon.-Fri. or Mon.-Fri.-Tues.-Sat.) This may not be ideal early in the season, particularly with an atypical preseason.
3. Maintains regular calendar for the post season, sans region quarterfinals.
4. Creates additional week for regular season games.

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 4 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 3 traditional game dates
(e.g., Thur.-Mon.-Fri. or Mon.-Fri.-Tues.-Sat.) This may not be ideal early in the season, particularly with an atypical preseason.
3. Maintains regular postseason process; moving region and state dates 1 week later increases the weeks available for regular season games, but also increases the potential for inclement weather during region and state games.

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 5 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 4 traditional game dates
3. Maintains regular postseason process, sans region quarterfinals; moving region and state dates 1 week later increases the weeks available for regular season games, but also increases the potential for inclement weather during region and state games.

Scenario #4
First Practice Date: October 15
First Contest Date: November 2 (15 days practice, 1 scrimmage)
First Contest Date: November 7 (20 days practice, 2 scrimmages)

Option A (Assumes moving state final back 2 weeks & top 4 teams per region)
Region Semifinals: December 5
Region Finals: December 12
State Semifinals: December 19
State Championships: December 26

NOTES:
1. 1 scrimmage – 4 traditional game dates; 2 scrimmages – 4 traditional game dates (if you use the first Saturday).
3. With only 1 scrimmage, teams could get 4 games played in the first 2 weeks with a Mon.-Fri.-Tues.-Sat. modified schedule.
4. Moving region and state games back two weeks increases the potential for inclement weather during region and state games.

I would presume that the above-mentioned scenarios and variations are in the event that Governor NOVA’s schedule does not permit for a return to normalcy by the last week of July, as opposed to a blanket statement of what the scenarios will be regardless of any edict from aforesaid Governor.  

In any event, I applaud the VHSL for being on top of this.

11 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I was hoping July 1 for conditioning to start & practice in August as usual.  I guess we’ll know more when King Ralph addresses school reopening. 

Yes.  I personally think the season will be shortened in Virginia, if played at all.  They could save  3weeks by eliminating a scrimmage and the open week and making the playoffs 4 weeks again instead of 5.

Gov. NOVA and staff FINALLY addressed this.

Phase 2 for public schools (which includes HS athletics) is permitted so long as an approved plan has been approved by the Virginia Department of Education.  No intentional contact or shared equipment permitted in Educational Phase 2.  However, practices may resume so long as social distancing and gathering requirements remain.  No timeline has been discussed regarding Educational Phase 3, despite being asked point blank in the press conference.

Sports like golf and soccer may resume largely normal practices now.  Baseball can resume largely normal practices so long as equipment is sufficient.  Football can largely resume workouts (pursuant to VHSL regulations), which may occur on distinct practice fields while staying under the 50 person requirements (For example, all Tazewell County high schools have multiple practice areas on their facilities to permit this).  Specifically noted in the press conference, QBs can throw to WRs so long as the WRs are wearing gloves.

So no handoffs or any live action at all. This is a good start, but the kids should not be allowed to play if they haven't had contact practices. Way too many injury concerns. But I have a feeling they may be able to start contact practice a couple weeks before the season and if so, it should be okay.

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

So no handoffs or any live action at all. This is a good start, but the kids should not be allowed to play if they haven't had contact practices. Way too many injury concerns. But I have a feeling they may be able to start contact practice a couple weeks before the season and if so, it should be okay.

I don’t think most coaches  normally do a lot of one on one full contact during the summer until practices officially start in August. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I’m wrong. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I don’t think most coaches  normally do a lot of one on one full contact during the summer until practices officially start in August. Someone with more knowledge can correct me if I’m wrong. 

I'd wager most dont. But if they aren't allowed live practices when August rolls around, I have serious misgivings about a season. You can't send kids out there to play games without at least a couple weeks of full contact practice, it'll get so many hurt. But barring any major setbacks, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to fully participate in practice in a few weeks.

Phase 3 will not allow for football. Not sure how you can say you are addressing cross contamination between student groups if you allow kids from literally every class in your school to have real, team practices and games. Cannot be accomplished.

Plus.…...if you do allow football, and then do not allow band, think of the uproar. Much less contact during band practice or competitions.

If you allow football, you will have to allow band. Heck, football and band at Gate City probably make up 30% of the entire student body.

Very easy for me to see our Governor reacting to the predicted Fall surge of Covid-19 cases by throwing all of the Commonwealth back into Phase 2...……..or worse.

Just do not see football happening.

“High school football, folks should be training right now, getting ready. I don’t know what will happen with the high school season down the road, but certainly quarterbacks can be throwing to receivers, receivers are wearing gloves. That’s kind of common sense. We’re not doing tackle football during the summer anyway. There’s certainly some weight training not using shared equipment, some drills that linemen can do that will accommodate the Phase II guidelines.

“Soccer, I coached high school soccer for six years. There’s ways to train and structure your practices without having intentional contact.”

• “If socially distancing competitions are taking place, the following conditions must also be met:

“Outdoor recreational sports are allowable if 10 feet of physical distance can be maintained by all participants and spectators at all times and all shared items can be disinfected between uses.

4 hours ago, Great City said:

Phase 3 will not allow for football. Not sure how you can say you are addressing cross contamination between student groups if you allow kids from literally every class in your school to have real, team practices and games. Cannot be accomplished.

Plus.…...if you do allow football, and then do not allow band, think of the uproar. Much less contact during band practice or competitions.

If you allow football, you will have to allow band. Heck, football and band at Gate City probably make up 30% of the entire student body.

Very easy for me to see our Governor reacting to the predicted Fall surge of Covid-19 cases by throwing all of the Commonwealth back into Phase 2...……..or worse.

Just do not see football happening.

“High school football, folks should be training right now, getting ready. I don’t know what will happen with the high school season down the road, but certainly quarterbacks can be throwing to receivers, receivers are wearing gloves. That’s kind of common sense. We’re not doing tackle football during the summer anyway. There’s certainly some weight training not using shared equipment, some drills that linemen can do that will accommodate the Phase II guidelines.

“Soccer, I coached high school soccer for six years. There’s ways to train and structure your practices without having intentional contact.”

• “If socially distancing competitions are taking place, the following conditions must also be met:

“Outdoor recreational sports are allowable if 10 feet of physical distance can be maintained by all participants and spectators at all times and all shared items can be disinfected between uses.

who comes up with this rules? 10 feet??? what outside, only have to be 6 feet inside. hahahhaha morons

7 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

who comes up with this rules? 10 feet??? what outside, only have to be 6 feet inside. hahahhaha morons

The virus has like a 99% survival rate...idiots, that’s who comes up with this crap! (My humble opinion, idiots or morons is acceptable too).