Fall sports

footballfanatic

VHSL will have alot of explaining to do if there is no fall sports. Reason why is how can kids play all the travel ball tourneys for basketball and baseball that have started recently and then say sorry we are not gonna play fall sports. Im sure there will be alot of push back if this happens.

VHSL announced that practices could start on Monday, 6/15 as long as the school division has sent the required info to VDOE. Fall sports are a go as of now it seems!

25 minutes ago, AHScoach said:

VHSL announced that practices could start on Monday, 6/15 as long as the school division has sent the required info to VDOE. Fall sports are a go as of now it seems!

How long will it take the VDOE to get back to them? It’s government, they’re not known for efficiency. I know Tazewell County is not starting back on Monday. I’m not sure they even have submitted the paperwork. It’s my understanding each principal had to submit to superintendent, then it’s sent but I could be mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

How long will it take the VDOE to get back to them? It’s government, they’re not known for efficiency. I know Tazewell County is not starting back on Monday. I’m not sure they even have submitted the paperwork. It’s my understanding each principal had to submit to superintendent, then it’s sent but I could be mistaken.

I would imagine that each division will be sending this off as quickly as possible. If I had to guess, and this is completely a guess, I would say practices will start on Monday, 6/22 for most.

I'm sure the paperwork will be submitted and Gov. Ralphie the other day said that Southwest Virginia may be able to get back to business as usual sooner than the rest of the state (including schools).   I'm not sure how that will translate to sports.   Will some schools be playing and others not??  The VHSL has a lot of plans, anywhere from a 4 game season to a full season.  Who knows, but if the kids aren't allowed in the schools, it will definitely not happen.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:27 PM, footballfanatic said:

VHSL will have alot of explaining to do if there is no fall sports. Reason why is how can kids play all the travel ball tourneys for basketball and baseball that have started recently and then say sorry we are not gonna play fall sports. Im sure there will be alot of push back if this happens.

Are they playing in Virginia?  I've seen several in Tennessee, but not noticed any in Virginia.

14 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Are they playing in Virginia?  I've seen several in Tennessee, but not noticed any in Virginia.

Yes, I know some boys playing travel baseball not sure if it has bearing but some Little Leagues are holding sign ups but others have canceled. I wonder if any high school teams will start anything until July. Who knows how long the process will even take getting approval from the DOE. 

The explanation would be VHSL is tied to school systems and travel ball is not. I know the VHSL is far from perfect and care about their bottom line as much as anyone but most people associated with the tournaments that are starting to play are even more about making a profit. Everyone there from the sometimes thousands of dollar entry fees, the $35 tee shirts, the over priced food, the umpires and the towns that own the fields they all have a financial stake in the process a lot of them really want the youth sports industry running And it has nothing to do with the kids. The VHSL is in a drastically different situation. That being said unless something changes they definitely should be playing in fall.

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yes, I know some boys playing travel baseball not sure if it has bearing but some Little Leagues are holding sign ups but others have canceled. I wonder if any high school teams will start anything until July. Who knows how long the process will even take getting approval from the DOE. 

Yes, several Virginia LL programs are kicking off this week.  Most West Virginia LL programs have cancelled.

Alrighty, Phase III guidelines were released today: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/governor-of-virginia/pdf/Virginia-Forward-Phase-Three-Guidelines.pdf

Of specific attention is Pages 22-23.  The 10 foot distancing is to be maintained “where practicable”.  Aside from the section on Gyms/Indoor Recreation, this is the only section in which “where practicable” appears.  I believe this contemplates football and other sports returning where contact is necessary.  Also of note, attendance is capped at 250, including players/staff.

15 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Alrighty, Phase III guidelines were released today: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/governor-of-virginia/pdf/Virginia-Forward-Phase-Three-Guidelines.pdf

Of specific attention is Pages 22-23.  The 10 foot distancing is to be maintained “where practicable”.  Aside from the section on Gyms/Indoor Recreation, this is the only section in which “where practicable” appears.  I believe this contemplates football and other sports returning where contact is necessary.  Also of note, attendance is capped at 250, including players/staff.

Maybe schools could set up a way to stream their games and people could pay to view them if allowed to play.  I would certainly pay to support the teams.  Maybe a season pass to watch the games with a one time fee. The schools will need to come up with a way to generate revenue, if attendance is limited.

4 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

That’s kinda how I see it, too. 

Right now the best case scenario to hope for would be:

Winter Sports - January and February

Fall Sports - March and April

Spring Sports - May and June

11 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

i don't understand why its going this way. Kids are 99% asymptomatic and 0 kids under 18 have died from this in Va. they are the least vulnerable and it isnt even close. so not sure why the season is in doubt.

28 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Better than nothing at all, which is what we are currently looking at.

no way we dont play! I would love to know how many of the  56000 cases that have recovered, cant find that info anywhere. hmmm wonder why??? almost 70% of all deaths have been in nursing homes 40 more today. they have brain washed Americans to believing it is more deadly than really is. well for the older, much older population it is.

Just now, footballfanatic said:

no way we dont play! I would love to know how many of the  56000 cases that have recovered, cant find that info anywhere. hmmm wonder why??? almost 70% of all deaths have been in nursing homes 40 more today. they have brain washed Americans to believing it is more deadly than really is. well for the older, much older population it is.

It's not my or your decision to make.  I'm all for playing, I'm just being realistic based on what is coming down from the governor's office.

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

Of the 56,238 cases in Virginia, 47,159 are considered active. There have been 1,586 deaths out of the 9,079 closed for a total death rate of 17%.

This probably reflects the most vulnerable dying quickly, and as the other cases are closed that rate will fall. Even if the other 47,000 cases completely recover, the 1,586 deaths would represent an approximate death rate of 3%. That doesn't sound huge, but if that average held up for the entire country and every citizen contracted coronavirus the 3% death rate would translate to 9 million dead.

There have been 5,100 cases for the under 20 age group with 0 deaths thus far. However, that is not the issue. What happens when those teenagers contract the virus and spread it to a parent with asthma or an 80 year old grandparent? That's where the problem lies.

Even if these kids are perfectly safe, other people that they come into contact with may not be. And if the VHSL or individual school districts ignore official CDC guidelines and a grandparent dies as a direct result of a player contracting the virus from a rival team during the course of a game you better believe that lawsuits will start flying. At this point, every organization's; including schools, churches, businesses and athletic leagues, primary goal is to avoid a lawsuit. Whether that involves signed waivers or just staying closed to avoid any liability, they are going to do what they must to survive financially.

I don't believe any brainwashing is involved. It is simply a case of unknowns. One 40 year old person can get it and have zero symptoms  whereas another is dead in 2 weeks. It's a matter of not wanting to find out which 40 year old we are. As more data is compiled from the people who have contracted coronavirus, we will have a better understanding of exactly who is likely to be fine or likely to die. Then, we can make an informed decision as to whether we, as individuals, can attend a ballgame or if we should just keep our butt on the couch.

My wife has already been warned by her physician that she's part of the higher risk group due to lung issues, so we know that we need to be more careful than most when we go to get groceries.

I feel very confident that I'll be just fine to attend a sporting event, but what if I contract covid and then give it to my wife? Statistics are just numbers until one of them is your spouse, parent or grandparent. 

Testing samples from sewers in the US and Europe indicate that this virus may have possibly been around since September, and further prove the death rates will be very low. I hope that turns out to be true.

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Sadly, as more time passes, I agree. They’ve made the process to get started even conditioning too cumbersome and complicated so I can only imagine what actually playing would require. On a different note, you might know, Ryan. I heard Wells resigned the AD position at Richlands.  I personally, don’t blame him. A head football coach has enough on his plate without AD responsibilities. Well , maybe not this year but normally. 

8 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Of the 56,238 cases in Virginia, 47,159 are considered active. There have been 1,586 deaths out of the 9,079 closed for a total death rate of 17%.

And there lies the biggest issue with how VA doesnt handle COViD19 worth a dime.  There isnt anywhere near 47k active cases.  There is zero follow up with those who have contracted the virus unless they are dead or released from a hospital.  Of the 56k who have had it only 9k have died or been hospitalized from it if I am not mistaken.

3 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

And there lies the biggest issue with how VA doesnt handle COViD19 worth a dime.  There isnt anywhere near 47k active cases.  There is zero follow up with those who have contracted the virus unless they are dead or released from a hospital.  Of the 56k who have had it only 9k have died or been hospitalized from it if I am not mistaken.

You have to keep in mind that the term "active" doesn't mean that person is struggling for their life somewhere, whether that's at home or in a hospital. It simply means they still exhibit symptoms or continue to  test positive.

Some people that have contracted covid can't smell or taste up to 3 months after a confirmed diagnosis. Others that developed even mild cases of pneumonia have trouble breathing normally for months after "recovering."  Doctors in NY reported seeing some of the same patients return to the hospital after being discharged.

I can't account for follow up of every single case in Virginia, but there was with the elderly residents in the Towers building in Appalachia.