Fall sports

footballfanatic

Gotta feel bad for the kids. Covid presents little to no danger to them at all basically but yet they're having some of the best times of their lives stripped from them. They have no control over the decisions Northam their school board and the vhsl are going to make but yet these decisions are going to effect them directly. ADs and athletic programs can slap together some fundraisers maybe get some donations and get some money back from missing a year of sports. Most if not all teachers and administrators are still going to have a job when things fully go back to normal. You don't get another chance if you're a senior who's trying to earn a scholarship to play ball and get school paid for. All it takes is one breakout game for a kid and that can be the difference between not going to college or going to college. One good season can be the difference between a kid going to school paid for or being in student debt for 5 years and once that window of opportunity is gone, it's gone. You don't get cancelled games or seasons back. You don't get to go back and have prom or homecoming or any other significant event you have in highschool. I know the bigger picture is health and safety for everyone and I completely understand that but you can't help but feel for the kids. 

15 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

i don't understand why its going this way. Kids are 99% asymptomatic and 0 kids under 18 have died from this in Va. they are the least vulnerable and it isnt even close. so not sure why the season is in doubt.

It’s not the kids. You're right. A youth is unlikely to get sick from this. But it’s not about them. It’s about the ones in the stands. 

Mitchell Stadium will have 10k people in it for a high school game in 3 months. There will almost certainly be more than 1 person there who has the virus. The ones around them are then put at risk. They take it home and maybe go see their family on Saturday. Now they are exposed. And so on and so forth. 

It’s not the kids that will make playing a sport hard to do. It’s having people in the stands. And without fans coming to the games, schools won’t and can’t play. Football pays for all other sports. 

I would be shocked if they make it to week 3 of a season IF it even starts at this point. I hate it. I don’t like it. But that’s just the reality of what we are looking at. This virus is going to come back strong in a few months. We need to be ready. 

On 6/19/2020 at 8:04 AM, Union_Fan said:

You have to keep in mind that the term "active" doesn't mean that person is struggling for their life somewhere, whether that's at home or in a hospital. It simply means they still exhibit symptoms or continue to  test positive.

Some people that have contracted covid can't smell or taste up to 3 months after a confirmed diagnosis. Others that developed even mild cases of pneumonia have trouble breathing normally for months after "recovering."  Doctors in NY reported seeing some of the same patients return to the hospital after being discharged.

I can't account for follow up of every single case in Virginia, but there was with the elderly residents in the Towers building in Appalachia.

Northam and his staff have both said they are not attempting to track those who test positive but are not hospitalized to see about recovery.  

On 6/19/2020 at 7:46 PM, breckt said:

Will the VHSL executive committee be making a decision on fall sports at their meeting Thursday?

Statement from the VHSL...

For Immediate Release
June 22, 2020

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The VHSL Executive Committee will meet in special session Thursday, June 25 to discuss the reopening of schools under the Governor’s “Return to School” plan and those options relating to fall sports and academic activities. The meeting will also include budget issues.

The executive committee cannot create and release a working fall schedule and calendar for sports and activities until further guidelines are released.

“It’s important to note that if nothing changes between today and Thursday, definitive answers on Fall sports will be determined later. The Governor’s “Return to School Plan” outlines an action plan for Phase I, II, and III but has no specific guidelines for athletics and extracurricular activities,” said VHSL Executive Director Dr. John W. “Billy” Haun.

“The executive committee will discuss at length the challenges, including health, safety, and financial considerations, that would have to be resolved before implementing any schedule options for a fall sports season.

“At this point we have no idea when we will enter Phase III,” continued Haun. “It would not be reasonable to prepare a fall schedule for each sport and activity without knowing the parameters and possible restrictions.”

3 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Northam and his staff have both said they are not attempting to track those who test positive but are not hospitalized to see about recovery.  

I think that onus has been placed at the local level...Dr, health department, etc... I believe the Appy fire department and the Wise county EMS was doing the follow up on the residents in the Towers.

For the purpose of reporting, the website I follow considers a case active for 21 days after being first reported. In VA at least. The criteria and specificity seem to vary greatly from state to state.

4 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Lifting and conditioning has been suspended in Mercer Co. due to recent outbreaks.  They will re-evaluate on July 8th.  It seems more and more likely to me that we will not see fall sports in WV or VA this year.

I'm afraid you are right.  The virus is still out there.

VHSL met today with no decisions made on Fall Sports.  However, there seems to be some traction for having fall sports in early spring, if at all.

https://www.wsls.com/sports/2020/06/25/vhsl-puts-fall-sports-seasons-on-hold/?outputType=amp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=scores&__twitter_impression=true

18 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

VHSL met today with no decisions made on Fall Sports.  However, there seems to be some traction for having fall sports in early spring, if at all.

https://www.wsls.com/sports/2020/06/25/vhsl-puts-fall-sports-seasons-on-hold/?outputType=amp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=scores&__twitter_impression=true

The lede has been buried in all these stories.  It pretty much states that there will be no football so long as we’re in Phase III (so long as Northam doesn’t grant some exemption).  

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The lede has been buried in all these stories.  It pretty much states that there will be no football so long as we’re in Phase III (so long as Northam doesn’t grant some exemption).  

Here's my question.  The state has come out now and said that it will be the local school division's decision on how and when to re-open their schools, with guidance from the state.  I wonder if the same applies to sports.  In other words, can a school play sports with other school divisions, regardless of what the VHSL recommends?  Probably not a good idea to go against recommendations, would open up a can of worms if something were to happen, but I'm curious.  Bottom line is to keep the kids safe, I totally understand that.  That should be a school systems first priority, the safety of the kids.

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Here's my question.  The state has come out now and said that it will be the local school division's decision on how and when to re-open their schools, with guidance from the state.  I wonder if the same applies to sports.  In other words, can a school play sports with other school divisions, regardless of what the VHSL recommends?  Probably not a good idea to go against recommendations, would open up a can of worms if something were to happen, but I'm curious.  Bottom line is to keep the kids safe, I totally understand that.  That should be a school systems first priority, the safety of the kids.

The issue as I see it is that the VHSL is the sanctioning body for Virginia high school athletics.  Theoretically, school districts could band together and enact guidelines that run contrary to the VHSL’s stated policy.  However, if they do, the games would not only not count for any official tally, but could also lead to some sort of penalties from the VHSL for violating their policies/procedures.  I could see the VHSL forcing a program to suspend operations for year(s) should they choose to buck the VHSL.

That’s apart from the liability issue, which would be financially devastating if a school district went against the VHSL and had an athlete become ill.

VA players won’t be headed to Tennessee. They announced that their HS sports season will not start on time in late August. That includes football. Other states will eventually do the same. 

We are getting closer and closer to no sports for 2020 at the high school level. 

41 minutes ago, 50kw said:

It's looking more likely for fall baseball and spring football in Tennessee. I see something similar in VA.    

The one thing you can take from today's meeting - regardless of which plan is voted in - TSSAA wants to ensure that football is played this fall (health concerns permitting). They're going to do everything they can to make sure the season is played as scheduled for each sport.
—Stephen Hargis, Sports Editor for Times Free Press.

So Washington County Va school board voted Monday for a Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday school schedule with student only going on either Monday Thursday or Tuesday and Friday. How does this affect football in fall with kids not being at school each day. I don’t see any way possible for them to have practices 

1 hour ago, GusDaGuesser said:

The one thing you can take from today's meeting - regardless of which plan is voted in - TSSAA wants to ensure that football is played this fall (health concerns permitting). They're going to do everything they can to make sure the season is played as scheduled for each sport.
—Stephen Hargis, Sports Editor for Times Free Press.

You are correct sir.

https://www.wjhl.com/sports/tssaa-presents-board-of-directors-with-3-options-for-high-school-football-season/

On 7/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, bristol8434 said:

So Washington County Va school board voted Monday for a Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday school schedule with student only going on either Monday Thursday or Tuesday and Friday. How does this affect football in fall with kids not being at school each day. I don’t see any way possible for them to have practices 

Washington County SB approved half of the students going to school on Monday and Tuesday, and the other half going on Thursday and Friday. Wednesday will be used as a deep cleaning day in between the two groups. Students will be able to participate in athletics each day due to the other days being provided instruction virtually. With that said, fall sports aren't looking so promising right now.