Fall sports

footballfanatic

Not to mention those players like Trenton Adkins from Ridgeview will be playing non stop from high school to right in the college game with no break in between if they do the Spring option.  Kinda hard to do.  Will some kids simply not play there Sr year like him to avoid the fatigue or risk injury

3 hours ago, Keepitreal said:

Not to mention those players like Trenton Adkins from Ridgeview will be playing non stop from high school to right in the college game with no break in between if they do the Spring option.  Kinda hard to do.  Will some kids simply not play there Sr year like him to avoid the fatigue or risk injury

Honestly, I think they should have tried to have fall sports &. if need be once it was underway if circumstances warranted then look to cancel or move. There’s no perfect solution I know and you can’t please everyone but kids need to be in school for more than just educational reasons just as some kids need extracurricular activities.  We’re putting them in classrooms and on busses together, but we can’t put them on a football field. Kids are the lowest risk group and now we’re learning numbers aren’t accurate but I digress. I hate it for all of them but especially Seniors. 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, Union_Fan said:

Of the 56,238 cases in Virginia, 47,159 are considered active. There have been 1,586 deaths out of the 9,079 closed for a total death rate of 17%.

This probably reflects the most vulnerable dying quickly, and as the other cases are closed that rate will fall. Even if the other 47,000 cases completely recover, the 1,586 deaths would represent an approximate death rate of 3%. That doesn't sound huge, but if that average held up for the entire country and every citizen contracted coronavirus the 3% death rate would translate to 9 million dead.

There have been 5,100 cases for the under 20 age group with 0 deaths thus far. However, that is not the issue. What happens when those teenagers contract the virus and spread it to a parent with asthma or an 80 year old grandparent? That's where the problem lies.

Even if these kids are perfectly safe, other people that they come into contact with may not be. And if the VHSL or individual school districts ignore official CDC guidelines and a grandparent dies as a direct result of a player contracting the virus from a rival team during the course of a game you better believe that lawsuits will start flying. At this point, every organization's; including schools, churches, businesses and athletic leagues, primary goal is to avoid a lawsuit. Whether that involves signed waivers or just staying closed to avoid any liability, they are going to do what they must to survive financially.

I don't believe any brainwashing is involved. It is simply a case of unknowns. One 40 year old person can get it and have zero symptoms  whereas another is dead in 2 weeks. It's a matter of not wanting to find out which 40 year old we are. As more data is compiled from the people who have contracted coronavirus, we will have a better understanding of exactly who is likely to be fine or likely to die. Then, we can make an informed decision as to whether we, as individuals, can attend a ballgame or if we should just keep our butt on the couch.

My wife has already been warned by her physician that she's part of the higher risk group due to lung issues, so we know that we need to be more careful than most when we go to get groceries.

I feel very confident that I'll be just fine to attend a sporting event, but what if I contract covid and then give it to my wife? Statistics are just numbers until one of them is your spouse, parent or grandparent. 

Testing samples from sewers in the US and Europe indicate that this virus may have possibly been around since September, and further prove the death rates will be very low. I hope that turns out to be true.

it has been proven that the youth have a very low viral load that they do not pass it on to adult more over adults pass it to the children.  so children are a very  very low risk to give any adult the virus at all. this comes from The CDC.

45 minutes ago, ghs73 said:

it has been proven that the youth have a very low viral load that they do not pass it on to adult more over adults pass it to the children.  so children are a very  very low risk to give any adult the virus at all. this comes from The CDC.

In the exact same press conference, the CDC also said they don't have enough data to definitively prove that, because the bulk of testing is on adults.

The only thing that seems to be true is that confirmed cases in children have been mild or asymptomatic. That's good news!

Another thing to consider is comparisons of US children to other countries. Several studies from European countries would indicate exactly what you said. However, children in the US have higher rates of asthma, diabetes and obesity than their European counterparts. These are all huge risk factors in adults, regardless of country.

Everything about this virus is changing constantly. What they say to worry about one month, they say not to the next, and vice versa. They are even noticing a marked difference in blood type with O blood being less susceptible vs A blood. 

Just hoping the good news from the Moderna vaccine trials continue to be good.

14 hours ago, ghs73 said:

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Exactly...someone said if one life was lost it would be worth it with all the money football brings in...I bet they would change their tune if that one life was a family member of theirs.

Hope your son is getting better Ryan

Yes, I said that.  And yes, I stand by it.  You can quote me on it, and I would appreciate you doing so from now on instead of being passive-aggressive about it.  Humans make decisions based upon the principle of social capital every day in hundreds of different ways.

is raising the speed limit to modern highway speeds worth 38,000 traffic fatalities per year (100+ per day) across the U.S.?  I bet you say it is, just like I do, regardless of whether or not I lost a grandfather in an automobile accident.

Let’s put it this way: is having swimming pools worth the 390 fatalities caused by drowning (1+ per day) across the U.S.?  I’m a betting man, so I imagine you’ve probably went to a swimming pool at some point in your life.  Is “1 extra death” worth your enjoyment?  Hmmm, where have I seen that before...

It seems cold until you actually think in depth about it.  Society could not function without these informal analyses.

COVID 19 , IS REAL, but all the deaths reported are somewhat .....inflated, even if they tested positive for the virus.Lets take a 70 yr old male who dies , he has heart problems ,breathing problems,diabetes and happens to be obese, any of these could have killed him but they say due to covid 19,or he had a accident due to his diabetes making him pass out ,did the crash kill him or the diabetes????look at John Glens wife, 100 + years old wheelchair bound for what 18+ years and they said she died due to covid 19???NO SHE DIED BECAUSE SHE IS 100 AND HAD MANY HEALTH ISSUES.

PLAY IN THE FALL ,DO AWAY WITH 2 OR 3 GAMES THAT DONT MATTER,and reduce the number of playoff games by at least 1 or maybe 2 with some byes mixed in for the top 2  or 4 teams

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Yes, I said that.  And yes, I stand by it.  You can quote me on it, and I would appreciate you doing so from now on instead of being passive-aggressive about it.  Humans make decisions based upon the principle of social capital every day in hundreds of different ways.

is raising the speed limit to modern highway speeds worth 38,000 traffic fatalities per year (100+ per day) across the U.S.?  I bet you say it is, just like I do, regardless of whether or not I lost a grandfather in an automobile accident.

Let’s put it this way: is having swimming pools worth the 390 fatalities caused by drowning (1+ per day) across the U.S.?  I’m a betting man, so I imagine you’ve probably went to a swimming pool at some point in your life.  Is “1 extra death” worth your enjoyment?  Hmmm, where have I seen that before...

It seems cold until you actually think in depth about it.  Society could not function without these informal analyses.

Sorry pal forgot who said it and didn't feel like going back to find who it was...and if you want to sacrifice a family member possibly for a football game good for you...not me

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I'm not sure about this. He's from Giles so him ever being in a pool is not a given.

13 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

1300 deaths a day from heart disease come on

5 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

I’ve heard some schools are postponing workouts until school starts back up. 

could there be any possible way of having a 7v7 league this fall. They could get four schools to come to field on a Friday and play. Anything is better than nothing at all. 

It would have to be "club" or "travel" play, and probably couldn't use high school facilities.