Rumor

Tru Blue 72

17 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

(1) Fuente has the personality of a tire iron and can be abrasive in certain settings.

(2) Fuente’s not made himself and his staff particularly available to the 757, and he’s openly flaunted this #TX2VT crap that’s falling like an anvil.  

(3) Kids aren’t happy and are transferring out by the dozens, and that reputation moves fast.

It started well before that when Shame Beamer lit the fire, then Daddy got too old, and now JuFu can't fix it...

3 hours ago, Blue Cannonball said:

ODU is out recruiting VT in the 757, big time. 

It could be a flawed assumption as I’ve never really looked hard at it, but I always attributed much of Tech’s success in the 90’s to the 757 talent pool...before it was really discovered by powerhouse programs. 

It was the 757 QB’s. Most of the other big time players were from FL. 

17 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

It was the 757 QB’s. Most of the other big time players were from FL. 

Disagree. 

Sure, all teams have some Florida talent, but some of the biggest names (outside of QBs) were 757 bred...D Hall, Tapp, Adibis, Kam, just a few off the top of my head. 

On 6/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, BigWinners said:

What happened there? I'm not aware of that situation.

A lot of false statements on this thread about VT. Times have changed. NOVA & Richmond are where a majority of the top recruits are at not the 757. If you talk to people who actually know Justin Fuente they will tell you he is very personable but he's not a used car salesman. He's not going to lie to a recruit just to get them to sign with the Hokies. It's still early in the recruiting period and Tech's class will continue to improve as the summer progresses. A majority of the transfers (which happened a couple of years ago) were Beamer recruits that didn't make the transition to Fuente and that happens at any program when there is a change at the top. Check the preseason predictions and you will see VT and UNC getting the most votes to win the ACC Coastal this year which is far from the doomsday predictions on this thread. 

44 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

A lot of false statements on this thread about VT. Times have changed. NOVA & Richmond are where a majority of the top recruits are at not the 757. If you talk to people who actually know Justin Fuente they will tell you he is very personable but he's not a used car salesman. He's not going to lie to a recruit just to get them to sign with the Hokies. It's still early in the recruiting period and Tech's class will continue to improve as the summer progresses. A majority of the transfers (which happened a couple of years ago) were Beamer recruits that didn't make the transition to Fuente and that happens at any program when there is a change at the top. Check the preseason predictions and you will see VT and UNC getting the most votes to win the ACC Coastal this year which is far from the doomsday predictions on this thread. 

What do you have against used car salesmen 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

If preseason polls determined the actual winners, Duke would have 25 national titles in basketball.

2 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Good thing (for VT) that ODU isn’t in the ACC Coastal! 

2 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

This. All of this. 

1 hour ago, Blue Cannonball said:

Good thing (for VT) that ODU isn’t in the ACC Coastal! 

Tech would love to have ODU in the Coastal. It would be an easy win on the schedule and a chance to rest their starters. VT beat them 31-17 last year without Hooker starting at QB. 

2 hours ago, EH31 said:

What do you have against used car salesmen 

They tend to lie to sell their product. See James Franklin or Butch Jones. 

10 minutes ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Tech would love to have ODU in the Coastal. It would be an easy win on the schedule and a chance to rest their starters. VT beat them 31-17 last year without Hooker starting at QB. 

A 14 point win at home against ODU isn't impressive...didn't they finish 1-11?

And what's worse is losing to them like last time VT went to nolfolk...totally embarrassing

I’m not an ODU fan, nor am I a Tech hater. I was mostly kidding about them in the ACC.
But, Tech has missed some VA/757 opportunities and Ricky Rahne is building some excitement in tidewater — Lamareon James, who VT wanted, was a big score by ODU and they just pulled Ricky Slade from PSU on a transfer. 

1 hour ago, Widespread_Panic said:

As to point 1, you apparently forgot your loss in Norfolk in 2018.  The Commonwealth’s premier football program sure can’t say that about ODU...

As to point 2, WHOOSH!

3 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Tech would love to have ODU in the Coastal. It would be an easy win on the schedule and a chance to rest their starters. 

About that.....

They lost to them in 2018 by 2 touchdowns. They were a 4-8 team. 

They didn’t exactly beat the crap out of them last season when they went 1-11. 

But what does a UT fan like me know?

Are people seriously arguing that ODU is a better football program or in better shape going forward than VT? Let's be real here, ODU beating VT was an outlier. They've played three times, all since 2017, and VT is 2-1 and won those games by an average of 26 points per game. Against P5 schools, ODU is 1-12. VT had a horrible year recruiting in 2020, finishing at 75th nationally, but they still finished ahead of ODU at 96th. And if you went by average rating, Tech would be much higher as they only signed 15 kids. 

In 2019, Tech signed the 26th best class, ODU 117th. So far for 2021, VT 50TH and ODU 122nd.

I am in no way, shape or form a Tech fan, but playing ODU 10 times, they're winning at least eight. It would be a consistent win for them if they played every year.

As an ODU graduate, I can give my perspective on life in the 757.  I also spent 8 years with a Norfolk based company before relocating back to this part of the state. 

Most people living east of Williamsburg between the James and York Rivers would rather be anywhere else.  Corruption and gambling within the youth football organizations have led to a drop in talent production.  When kids and parents are being shaken down and brutalized so gangs can fix outcomes, participation dwindles.  Those that still participate become corrupted by the environment before having a chance to reach the college level.  The quick cash proves to be too tempting.  

Another key contributor is baseball.  The Norfolk, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach area is producing more high level baseball players than football ever produced.  Which is drawing focus away from football at every level.

Good perspective, but a little dated IMO. The issues you raise still exist, but have gotten better in the last few years and youth football (at least in VB) is thriving. As an example, the Virginia Beach Mustangs Pop Warner program is a National power, with multiple National Championships in the past 10-15 years. 

15 hours ago, rsntu88 said:

About that.....

They lost to them in 2018 by 2 touchdowns. They were a 4-8 team. 

They didn’t exactly beat the crap out of them last season when they went 1-11. 

But what does a UT fan like me know?

If I were a UT fan I'd probably worry more about my team losing to Georgia State last year than anything that Va Tech does. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Cannonball said:

Good perspective, but a little dated IMO. The issues you raise still exist, but have gotten better in the last few years and youth football (at least in VB) is thriving. As an example, the Virginia Beach Mustangs Pop Warner program is a National power, with multiple National Championships in the past 10-15 years. 

Virginia Beach is a world apart from Norfolk, Hampton and Newport News.  The programs on the peninsula between the York and James Rivers are shrinking and producing less and less talent.  The point is simple, the talent coming from the 757 is coming from a much smaller geographic area than it did two decades ago.  Smaller geographic area equals smaller pools of talent!

I would also challenge you to research the rosters of some of those Pop Warner teams to see how many of those kids are still playing today!

https://www.virginiabeachmustangs.com/success.html

https://www.virginiabeachmustangs.com/aascholars.html

Thanks for the links...I’m a Mustangs coach so I’m good... I know who’s still playing, Maury just won a State Championship with some of our kids with 6 or 7 going D1.

Also appreciate the lesson on the differences in cities, my kids play AAU ball in Norfolk, I understand the area. Point is simple, your perspective is dated. 

4 hours ago, Blue Cannonball said:

Thanks for the links...I’m a Mustangs coach so I’m good... I know who’s still playing, Maury just won a State Championship with some of our kids with 6 or 7 going D1.

Also appreciate the lesson on the differences in cities, my kids play AAU ball in Norfolk, I understand the area. Point is simple, your perspective is dated. 

No, his perspective’s pretty darned timely and accurate.

Let’s use Maury as an example, since you brought them up.  Maury did produce the #3 player in VA, KeAndre Lambert, who is a legitimate stud WR (and a Penn State commit).  Maury also produced the #18 player in VA, Darian Varner, who projects as a DT (but is plenty undersized for that position at 6’1”, 250).  He chose Temple, where he may crack the starting rotation if he can put some muscle on.  The others of that “6 or 7 going D1” group are 2* guys going the FCS route (only 1 of them has committed, and that’s to Coastal Carolina).  Aside from Lambert, that’s not really bolstering your argument much.

Here are the area codes of the top players in Virginia:

(1) 703

(2) 804

(3) 757 [Maury]

(4) 804

(5) 804

(6) 703

(7) 757 [Portsmouth]

(8) 757 [Virginia Beach]

(9) 804

(10) 703

(11) 804

(12) 757 [Virginia Beach]

(13) 703

(14) 703 

(15) 703

(16) 703

(17) 703

(18) 757 [Maury]

(19) 757 [Virginia Beach]

(20) 804

(21) 703

(22) 757 [Portsmouth]

(23) 804

(24) 757 [Virginia Beach]

(25) 804

(26) 757

(27) 804

(28) 540

(29) 757 [Chesapeake]

(30) 757 [Virginia Beach]

So, let’s recap.  10 players from the “757” in the Virginia Top 30 for 2020.  Half of them are from Virginia Beach.  NOVA is killing the “757”, the Beach included.  Take out strictly Beach kids, and the “804” is killing them too. And that doesn’t include some really wonky assessments (Darian Varner at #18 is just bizarre).  

TL;DR: The old gray mare known as the 757 ain’t what she used to be.

Great research — Another UVA grad really maxing out that ‘Southern Ivy’ education. Ha! 

You missed WR Peele, Navy commit and though CJ is going to Coastal, he had ACC offers that he left on the table. Either way, my only real ‘argument’ is that the original assessment on the status of 757 youth sports (offered by sixcat) is a little dated...not entirely inaccurate. 

As we’ve discussed relative to SWVA, talent is cyclical and yes, the 2020 757 class wasn’t loaded, but there are still lots of big time players in tidewater. We have seen a couple guys get pulled to IMG or other football factories, but for the sake of VA football, I hope that’s a quick trend...

It’s funny to me that guys sitting behind keyboards in SWVA doing research on 24/7 and VB Mustangs website can offer such informed opinions. 

42 minutes ago, Blue Cannonball said:

It’s funny to me that guys sitting behind keyboards in SWVA doing research on 24/7 and VB Mustangs website can offer such informed opinions. 

Al Gore's interwebs work in SWVA too.  Just because you're sitting behind a keyboard in Virginia Beach doesn't validate your opinions.  And ours aren't invalidated because we are in SWVA.

The point is, you're perfectly entitled to be wrong even though you're in Tidewater!