Reclassification

Ryan4VT

Looks like we could see 3 Class 2 schools drop. Ft. Chiswell is below 475. Giles is at 477 and enrollment going down. They’ll appeal to drop and play in the MED. And Lebanon is also eligible to drop to Class 1. 

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

From what I can gather the last few seasons, Riverheads would have smashed Giles. Over time Giles may be able to get an advantage but the past 5-6 seasons, I'd think Riverheads wins and often handily.

From 2015 on you are right...2013 we kicked their ass and would have in 2014 if we played them...glenvar did them in that year then they dropped down hmmmmm

27 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

From 2015 on you are right...2013 we kicked their ass and would have in 2014 if we played them...glenvar did them in that year then they dropped down hmmmmm

At the state championship game in December, I would argue strongly that the number of football players and band member on the field for Riverheads would come pretty close to the high school enrollment of Galax. 

Just saying, it was noticeable!

This reminded me of a passing rumor that I heard several weeks ago.  A good friend who is on the football staff of the local high school said that there is discussion of another massive realignment that would reduce the current number of classifications to 4 or 5.  Whether that's true or not, this coming school year would probably be a good opportunity for the VHSL to thoroughly examine this issue and come up with something more logical than the current arrangement.

2 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

This reminded me of a passing rumor that I heard several weeks ago.  A good friend who is on the football staff of the local high school said that there is discussion of another massive realignment that would reduce the current number of classifications to 4 or 5.  Whether that's true or not, this coming school year would probably be a good opportunity for the VHSL to thoroughly examine this issue and come up with something more logical than the current arrangement.

Honestly, there’s no reason a split like this can’t happen:

1A: 0-400

2A: 401-800

3A: 801-1200

4A: 1201-1600

5A: 1601-2000

6A: 2000+

The numbers won’t be even, but it makes more competitive sense than what we see now.  It will also screw a few of the “line straddlers” in Central VA that get early info from the VHSL.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

The numbers won’t be even, but it makes more competitive sense than what we see now.  It will also screw a few of the “line straddlers” in Central VA that get early info from the VHSL.

Never understood the need to keep every classification equal in number.  Especially for the lowest classification.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Never understood the need to keep every classification equal in number.  Especially for the lowest classification.

It defeats the idea of an equal playing field, especially in the smallest classification. The difference between 1,500 and 2,500 is relatively small, but the difference between 250 and 450 is huge. Not that you all dont know that

12 hours ago, RichlandsAlum said:

More than a rumor it seems...

https://www.timesnews.net/Sports/2020/06/23/VHSL-committee-recommends-going-to-4-classes-from-6.html?ci=stream&lp=8&p=1

I think reducing the classifications will only hurt the small schools. If you do it in four classes, it's much harder to protect the schools under 300 kids unless the cutoff for the lowest division is around that number. But then it'll hurt the medium schools having to play against 2500+ kid behemoths. I dunno, I don't think reducing classes on is the answer, the answer is actually make these schools report accurate numbers and not allow them to game the system and play in a lower division just to win. There's no reason Riverheads for example should not be playing in the same class as schools like most M7 and SWD schools. Riverheads is so much closer in enrollment to Union than it is to Burton. 

15 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Dang, Graham as a legit Class A school...Graham, Giles, Radford and GW would make a nice start for creating a new district...toss in Fort Chiswell, Galax, Grayson Co. that would be as tough of a Class A district as you could find in VA.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Dang, Graham as a legit Class A school...Graham, Giles, Radford and GW would make a nice start for creating a new district...toss in Fort Chiswell, Galax, Grayson Co. that would be as tough of a Class A district as you could find in VA.

Graham would easily be 2A with 510 students.  However, it would bump schools like Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, George Wythe, Grundy, and Eastside to 2A.  And thank goodness, Riverheads.

Note the cutoff for 3A being 1199.  Note that Charlottesville, Monticello, and Western Albemarle are juuuuuuust below that cutoff.  Hmmm...

1 hour ago, GMan said:

47 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham would easily be 2A with 510 students.  However, it would bump schools like Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, George Wythe, Grundy, and Eastside to 2A.  And thank goodness, Riverheads.

Note the cutoff for 3A being 1199.  Note that Charlottesville, Monticello, and Western Albemarle are juuuuuuust below that cutoff.  Hmmm...

Would be interesting to say the least. 

Note the ADM criteria in the article. Only grades 9-11 would be counted. Assuming equal grades, that would put Graham's count at 382...juuuuust a bit outside, BUT probably close enough to get them into 1A by 2023.

That would put schools with a current ADM (9-12) of 1001 in 2A. The M7 and SW districts would suddenly find themselves competing with most schools that are currently in 3A.

33 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Would be interesting to say the least. 

Note the ADM criteria in the article. Only grades 9-11 would be counted. Assuming equal grades, that would put Graham's count at 382...juuuuust a bit outside, BUT probably close enough to get them into 1A by 2023.

That would put schools with a current ADM (9-12) of 1001 in 2A. The M7 and SW districts would suddenly find themselves competing with most schools that are currently in 3A.

Ahhh.  Seems kinda pointless to just consider grades 9-11 when you could easily count grades 9-12 and just add 1/3 back.  My mistake, and apologies.

Just when the VHSL starts making a little sense, they go and do something brainless like this.  Honestly, the system we have now really isn’t that broken.  Just stop the VHSL moles from leaking info to central VA school districts, and it works out well.  

This would carve up a bunch of districts and pretty heavily screw some of our mid-sized 2A schools (Ridgeview, Battle, Marion, etc).  With those numbers, Graham and Lebanon probably fall to 1A, and Tazewell will be AWFULLY close to the cut line.  Richlands is 2A easily, but playing against some schools nearly twice their size.  The solution would be having mixed districts or combining schools into a hodgepodge (like the early 2010s MED).

Could have a SWD-lite with Graham, Tazewell, Lebanon, Grundy, Patrick Henry, George Wythe.

23 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Quote from the article...

Two current Southwest District and Class 2 schools, Lebanon and Graham, would fall into Class 1 under the proposal.

Graham's enrollment hasn't seen any sharp increases or decreases...been anywhere from about 480 to 530 pretty consistently for the past 10 years or so.  Tazewell has dropped significantly, I think it was around 510 this past year and Richlands is around 600, but has consistently dropped the past 10 years or so.

If I understand this correctly, VHLS is considering a 4 class system with the lowest class being at or below 375?  But that's only counting grades 9-11?

If approved, VHSL will be handing John Marshall the Class 1 state basketball championship in perpetuity!  Not a chance another Class 1 school can compete with a "feeder program" like that!

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

If I understand this correctly, VHLS is considering a 4 class system with the lowest class being at or below 375?  But that's only counting grades 9-11?

If approved, VHSL will be handing John Marshall the Class 1 state basketball championship in perpetuity!  Not a chance another Class 1 school can compete with a "feeder program" like that!

Yep. Most of SWVA will get the shaft. Also, most of the magnet schools like Maggie Walker will be in 2A.

I have heard from different coaches that Spotswood, Cave Spring, Northside among others will be in Class 2.  Anyone have a projected look at what Class 2 looks like. I have seen Class 1 with Graham, Lebanon, Radford all down.  
I have been wanting to see Class 2 projections. 

If it were to go to four classes, 

Gate City.  652

TSHS.       187

RCHS.      206

Totals:       1014. 

9-11        Class projections 720-750??

I would think that if Scott County loses anymore students they would not be far from a consolidation somewhere and they would still be Group 2. They wouldn’t be with today’s enrollment but maybe later on in a few years. 
Even with two schools they would for sure still be in Group 2.  
Only thing is which two schools do you combine?  
if it’s TS and RC definitely still Group 1!   Any of the others with GC and they are still group 2. 

14 hours ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

I have heard from different coaches that Spotswood, Cave Spring, Northside among others will be in Class 2.  Anyone have a projected look at what Class 2 looks like. I have seen Class 1 with Graham, Lebanon, Radford all down.  
I have been wanting to see Class 2 projections. 

If it were to go to four classes, 

Gate City.  652

TSHS.       187

RCHS.      206

Totals:       1014. 

9-11        Class projections 720-750??

I would think that if Scott County loses anymore students they would not be far from a consolidation somewhere and they would still be Group 2. They wouldn’t be with today’s enrollment but maybe later on in a few years. 
Even with two schools they would for sure still be in Group 2.  
Only thing is which two schools do you combine?  
if it’s TS and RC definitely still Group 1!   Any of the others with GC and they are still group 2. 

Gate City's numbers will depend on what the school board does with the Tennessee kids, if they boot them out GC will be borderline 1A, if the numbers go crazy because of the Sullivan County consolidations they could wind up 3A...when it comes to consolidation in Scott County it's all about geography 539 square miles of backroads and hills and hollers good luck with that!