Who is starting at QB? Who and where?

fishfan

On 7/6/2020 at 4:40 PM, goose111874 said:

Everyone wants football but in reality it would take a miracle.  If 1 kid gets covid the whole team will get it.  Maybe we can all buy the schools some deep sea diving equipment because that's what it's gonna take

kids getting it means what? asymptomatic better chance of getting hit by lightening. no evidence kids pass it to adults so what are we doing here. its less deadly than the flu to kids.

28 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

kids getting it means what? asymptomatic better chance of getting hit by lightening. no evidence kids pass it to adults so what are we doing here. its less deadly than the flu to kids.

Kids aren’t really the issue. It’s putting 10k inside Mitchell stadium in August that is the issue. 

I'll never take scientific advice from someone who misspelled lightning.

This is a very good article about the challenges and potential ways to reopen schools across the globe:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

And as Ryan said, it's not just about how it affects kids, it's about all the other people working at a school plus the risks of bringing the virus home to compromised people.

At primary school age it seems the kids rarely transmit the virus but at the high school age, it's much more common.

5 hours ago, BigWinners said:

And as Ryan said, it's not just about how it affects kids, it's about all the other people working at a school plus the risks of bringing the virus home to compromised people.

At primary school age it seems the kids rarely transmit the virus but at the high school age, it's much more common.

I’m just glad King Ralphie & DOE are leaving it up to local school boards how to reopen. It wouldn’t  make sense for Tazewell County to reopen the way Fairfax might need to, most of rural VA has faired much better than urban areas.  I read Grayson County is going 4 days. I’m not sure which other counties have released reopening plans. I know Tazewell is supposed to maybe next week. 

27 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m just glad King Ralphie & DOE are leaving it up to local school boards how to reopen. It wouldn’t  make sense for Tazewell County to reopen the way Fairfax might need to, most of rural VA has faired much better than urban areas.  I read Grayson County is going 4 days. I’m not sure which other counties have released reopening plans. I know Tazewell is supposed to maybe next week. 

I agree, it should be region-based, but that's not good news for a sports season. 

Leaving it up to the counties is the smartest thing to do IF, and it's a big IF, if the counties are actually gonna take it seriously and not be afraid to require masks or other requirements because it's a conservative area and the area feels like the masks are political or whatever dumb stuff people say. Wearing a mask and trying (in a reasonable manner) to keep people safe shouldn't be a political statement either way, just wear the damn thing FFS. Who does it hurt? 

I dont expect kids under 10 to have the ability to keep a mask on all day, but every teacher and every high school student should wear them. 

What will be interesting is if football is moved to the spring -- what changes we would see for the 2020 season and the 2021 season. You cant ask 14-18 year old kids to play 30 games in a calendar year.

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

What will be interesting is if football is moved to the spring -- what changes we would see for the 2020 season and the 2021 season. You cant ask 14-18 year old kids to play 30 games in a calendar year.

Why not? Most likely they wouldn't play 30 as a season this year will probably top out at 12 if they go to the spring and most only 8, but if it wraps up in March, you dont think kids could play again by August?   That shouldn't be an issue.

6 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Why not? Most likely they wouldn't play 30 as a season this year will probably top out at 12 if they go to the spring and most only 8, but if it wraps up in March, you dont think kids could play again by August?   That shouldn't be an issue.

I agree.  It shouldn't be an issue.

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

A lot of these kids already do 2 sports at a time. Either play football on Friday and then travel to a baseball or basketball tournament on Saturday and Sunday. I would much rather my kids be busy practicing and competing in sports than sitting around the house or worse. 

It’s just not a smart move, IMO, to have two full seasons in a 10 months span. 

You’re talking a month of practice in Feb. then a season that runs March to end of June or early July. Then turning right around and staring practice again for a season that would start in August and run into December. 

That’s a lot of wear and tear on a kid. Basketball and baseball aren’t high contact like football. We’ve seen how beat and banged up these kids are after a season. I can’t imagine them being healthily and ready to go for a second season a few months later. 

I think it would end up being two 7 game seasons or something like that to give a bigger buffer over the summer for them to get healthy and take a break. 

17 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

You’re talking a month of practice in Feb. then a season that runs March to end of June or early July. Then turning right around and staring practice again for a season that would start in August and run into December. 

That’s a lot of wear and tear on a kid. Basketball and baseball aren’t high contact like football. We’ve seen how beat and banged up these kids are after a season. I can’t imagine them being healthily and ready to go for a second season a few months later. 

I think it would end up being two 7 game seasons or something like that to give a bigger buffer over the summer for them to get healthy and take a break. 

Hadn't thought of it that way, but makes a lot of sense.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:41 AM, footballfanatic said:

I'm not gonna argue with you i watch other channels besides foxnews.  I'm gonna listen to the experts over Trump telling people to drink clorox.

Just sharing articles,  I tend to read most to find information not just listen to news. 

American Academy of Pediatrics  article on school reopening. 

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/children-less-likely-get-transmit-coronavirus-georgia-doctor-says

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

I’m not arguing with anyone but I think schools can be open in most of SWVA for in person learning with measures in place to curtail the spread of COVID. Some counties have had very few cases. School is doable if people in charge are smart in their reopening guidelines. 

15 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

If football is moved to the spring you wont have a traditional season anyway was part of my point. It wont run to June. It will be finished in late March most likely.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:10 AM, Ryan4VT said:

Kids aren’t really the issue. It’s putting 10k inside Mitchell stadium in August that is the issue. 

If they do decide to play football this fall it's probably gonna be parents only if I were guessing.  I've only missed 2 Union games since consolidation so I'm gonna try to adopt one of the players lol.  Not sure if it's possible but maybe they can put games on the NFHS website and we can watch online.  

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Just sharing articles,  I tend to read most to find information not just listen to news. 

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/children-less-likely-get-transmit-coronavirus-georgia-doctor-says

I’m not arguing with anyone but I think schools can be open in most of SWVA for in person learning with measures in place to curtail the spread of COVID. Some counties have had very few cases. School is doable if people in charge are smart in their reopening guidelines. 

Hey you stole my link! lol, I thought the sciencemag article was really informative too

23 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Thanks for sharing, @Gridiron60. But please be careful with the secret. Many on the left believe conservatives only watch Fox News, and they're certainly convinced that we'd never actually read to gain knowledge.  

19 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Thanks for sharing, @Gridiron60. But please be careful with the secret. Many on the left believe conservatives only watch Fox News, and they're certainly convinced that we'd never actually read to gain knowledge.  

I would say that the vast majority of people that consume massive amounts of cable news from any outlet are steeped in confirmation bias.

On 7/10/2020 at 2:16 PM, goose111874 said:

If they do decide to play football this fall it's probably gonna be parents only if I were guessing.  I've only missed 2 Union games since consolidation so I'm gonna try to adopt one of the players lol.  Not sure if it's possible but maybe they can put games on the NFHS website and we can watch online.  

IF they play.  It would be nice to stream the games.  and charge a fee, so the schools can at least recover some of the gate money.  We could still be in the boat if they postpone until spring.  

On 7/8/2020 at 12:01 AM, Gatorhater said:

Well regardless of the QB position if you think Gibson will be on the bench, YOU a fool! He is an athlete that is capable of many positions. 

Leave Gibson in the backfield at RB