VHSL adopts model 3

Keepitreal

It's happening all across the nation, these top tier guys aren't going to risk it! I don't blame them. This is really going to affect the multiple sport athletes.

I'm glad some are putting their futures first but it's a shame alot are having their Senior year football season's ripped from them. Those are some of the best time and memories that last a life time. I can see those D1 guys and kids that are on the verge of getting that D2 or D1 offer moving to where they can play their Senior season an get game tape for coaches to see. Another option I'd use if I was in the situation relclass to 2022 and get a extra year of prep football which help increase your chances of getting offers 

7 hours ago, Keepitreal said:

Looks like Feb for football to start.  I dont see kids like Adkins and those others with Power 5 offers playing until May then go to college and start practicing a month or two later.  I see some graduating in Dec and starting college early.  

I wouldn't think an 8 week 2A high school football season would be administer a physical beating on a Power 5 player.  JMO

Are there plans for determining champions? Whether it be through some form of abbreviated playoffs, or just a title game where the teams are selected by vote, or some other method?

19 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Worthy of note:  This only happens if Virginia is out of phase 3 or if the language of phase 3 changes to allow high contact sports.  The VHSL is at the mercy of the state government.

see this is the problem. vhsl is just pawns on their own and have the freedom to do what they want they are just chicken sh..... to make big boy decisions. state has no authority over schools. Northam even said as much.

6 hours ago, rebel3 said:

Are there plans for determining champions? Whether it be through some form of abbreviated playoffs, or just a title game where the teams are selected by vote, or some other method?

The playoff situations will be decided by Sept. 1. 

9 hours ago, rebel3 said:

It just could end up like NCAA schools used to claim those "mythical" national titles, as long as a school was number 1 in any one of the three polls, you were a national champion! It also worked for Dobyns Bennett they claim a bunch of those state titles.

2 hours ago, bristol8434 said:

Hearing VA may drop back down to phase II this week, what kind of effect will this have

No Idea the 1st season is 5 Months away 5 Month ago we were in a pre-quarantine America Not sure anyone could make a reasonable guess at this point in time

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

It just could end up like NCAA schools used to claim those "mythical" national titles, as long as a school was number 1 in any one of the three polls, you were a national champion! It also worked for Dobyns Bennett they claim a bunch of those state titles.

Winningest high school program in America!  😄

18 hours ago, Counts said:

I am wondering how well those 25 degree practices will go (I think we are looking at a ton of pulled muscles and some poor conditioned teams in the early part of the season )

I'd say it's unlikely there will be practices in 25 degree temperatures. The average February highs in Southwest, VA  are in the mid to upper 40s. I would also assume that games will be played on Saturday during the day. 

7 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Winningest high school program in America!  😄

Used to be....😄 I used to love riding some of the hardcore DB fans at work over that. Most of them took it well, but there were a few who didn't. Our grandson plays for them now. 

I would think a playoffs with the top 2 teams from each region would be very possible. Top 4 would be better but would take another week.  Hopefully we will get through our abbreviated season and be able to consider such things

1 hour ago, JDHoss said:

Used to be....😄 I used to love riding some of the hardcore DB fans at work over that. Most of them took it well, but there were a few who didn't. Our grandson plays for them now. 

Lol.  I think they still have that posted on their baseball scoreboard at JFJ.  I could be wrong though.  I have been following D-B the past couple of years since my ex-girlfriend's son was a student athlete for them.  I go to all their basketball games and will probably go to all their football games this season if there is one.

6 hours ago, JDHoss said:

I'd say it's unlikely there will be practices in 25 degree temperatures. The average February highs in Southwest, VA  are in the mid to upper 40s. I would also assume that games will be played on Saturday during the day. 

Highs  in the 40's around 1 What will the temperature be around 6 to 630 

3 hours ago, Counts said:

Highs  in the 40's around 1 What will the temperature be around 6 to 630 

Depending on cloud cover, probably lower 40's to upper 30's. Practice will be over by then anyway. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=tempature+in+dickenson+county+in+febuary&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS899US899&oq=tempature+in+dickenson+county+in+febuary&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l2.22469j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In Dickenson county at least Avg Feb Temp is between 44 and 27 I know up on the ridge it will be colder I assume Central will be even colder

I like the Idea of moving all games to Saturday Day games I hope it is something that those in charge actually plan on doing