VHSL adopts model 3

Keepitreal

47 minutes ago, Counts said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tempature+in+dickenson+county+in+febuary&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS899US899&oq=tempature+in+dickenson+county+in+febuary&aqs=chrome..69i57j33l2.22469j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

In Dickenson county at least Avg Feb Temp is between 44 and 27 I know up on the ridge it will be colder I assume Central will be even colder

I like the Idea of moving all games to Saturday Day games I hope it is something that those in charge actually plan on doing

I'd think it would be a given that the games would move to Saturday afternoons. I'm not sure the VH$L would mandate it, but probably leave that up to the schools anyway. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:10 AM, JDHoss said:

I'd think it would be a given that the games would move to Saturday afternoons. I'm not sure the VH$L would mandate it, but probably leave that up to the schools anyway. 

Probably this.  Average high in March hovers near 50 anyway, and it’s likely not to be as bone-jarring cold as some of those November night games can be.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:40 PM, goose111874 said:

Just don't play central in Feb or March i freeze in Wise and Norton in september

Try Craig County during the winter. 

New Castle can be tricky in cold and snow  

Especially Simmonsville, Paint Bank, John’s Creek. Try that in a snowstorm. 

32 minutes ago, rsntu88 said:

I'll put going to Burke's Garden, Tip Top, Stoney Ridge, Tannersville and Bishop against those places anytime.  Try going over the back of the dragon in clear weather.

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'll put going to Burke's Garden, Tip Top, Stoney Ridge, Tannersville and Bishop against those places anytime.  Try going over the back of the dragon in clear weather.

The drive between Marion and Tazewell/Richlands is the reason why the SWD can't have nice things. 

17 minutes ago, Plywood_King said:

The drive between Marion and Tazewell/Richlands is the reason why the SWD can't have nice things. 

I love the Back of the Dragon lol.  Not sure why all the fuss. 

7 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I love the Back of the Dragon lol.  Not sure why all the fuss. 

Because the state prohibits school buses on it which turns an hour drive into a near two hour drive. Not to mention the fact that Walker Mountain is literally the only reason why Northwood High School still exists. 

8 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Because the state prohibits school buses on it which turns an hour drive into a near two hour drive. Not to mention the fact that Walker Mountain is literally the only reason why Northwood High School still exists. 

It would suck on a bus. But it sure is fun in a Mustang 😂

20 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Not to mention the fact that Walker Mountain is literally the only reason why Northwood High School still exists. 

Explain....

On 7/31/2020 at 8:10 PM, rsntu88 said:

meh...   Throw in Huffman and the number of kids who travel the other way down 42 and hit a regularly plowed 460 to Pearisburg makes this pretty much a mute point anyway.

3 hours ago, GMan said:

Explain....

If it were possible to get kids from the upper end of Rich Valley to Marion without taking 16 (which buses are prohibited on) Northwood would be consolidated with Chilhowie. It's been on the agenda for the school board since the late 70s, back when it would have consolidated CHS, RBWHS, and RVHS. The school board even bought a large piece of land on 107 just outside of Chilhowie to build it on, but they viewed it as too long of a drive for students around Ceres and Nebo, and there was no way to get those students to Marion. If they had consolidated though, it would have created two Smyth County high schools, that at this point, would have almost identical enrollment.

46 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Drive "The Snake".  It's 20 times worse.

Pretty rough. Not as long, but I made a wrong turn and wound up on it leaving Mountain City. Immediately regretted my decision. 

On 7/29/2020 at 8:18 AM, Counts said:

I like the Idea of moving all games to Saturday Day games I hope it is something that those in charge actually plan on doing

Excellent idea

20 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

If it were possible to get kids from the upper end of Rich Valley to Marion without taking 16 (which buses are prohibited on) Northwood would be consolidated with Chilhowie. It's been on the agenda for the school board since the late 70s, back when it would have consolidated CHS, RBWHS, and RVHS. The school board even bought a large piece of land on 107 just outside of Chilhowie to build it on, but they viewed it as too long of a drive for students around Ceres and Nebo, and there was no way to get those students to Marion. If they had consolidated though, it would have created two Smyth County high schools, that at this point, would have almost identical enrollment.

You telling me kids from Ceres go to Northwood, even though Ceres is in Bland Co.?  Nebo is kind of in its own little world.  Can't believe that they'd hold up "progress" for so few. 

1 hour ago, GMan said:

You telling me kids from Ceres go to Northwood, even though Ceres is in Bland Co.?  Nebo is kind of in its own little world.  Can't believe that they'd hold up "progress" for so few. 

Not Ceres-proper, more Olympia. A small portion of northeastern Smyth County has a Ceres mailing address. I know that when I went to high school at Marion, several students travelled to Marion for high school from the "upper end" of Rich Valley and Nebo without complaint from the school board, so long as they had transportation. There were two classmates of mine, unrelated to each other, who transferred from Northwood to Marion their Junior year when they got driver's licenses, because their RVHS alum parent didnt want them going to "that damn Saltville school."

• 3 weeks later...

COVID-19 and Children
The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[5] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year. From 2004-2005 to 2018-2019, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. During the H1N1pandemic (April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010), 358 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC. So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons, with only 64.† Additionally, some children with certain underlying medical conditions, however, are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.*

Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low. Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members.[6],[7],[8] This is consistent with data from both virus and antibody testing, suggesting that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community.[9],[10],[11] No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students, particularly in the context of appropriate mitigation measures similar to those implemented at essential workplaces

as u see 358 pediatric deaths H1N1, 2009-10, do you remember schools closing or any sports stoppage?

3 hours ago, Single A west said:

COVID-19 and Children
The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[5] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year. From 2004-2005 to 2018-2019, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. During the H1N1pandemic (April 15, 2009 to October 2, 2010), 358 pediatric deaths were reported to CDC. So far in this pandemic, deaths of children are less than in each of the last five flu seasons, with only 64.† Additionally, some children with certain underlying medical conditions, however, are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.*

Scientific studies suggest that COVID-19 transmission among children in schools may be low. International studies that have assessed how readily COVID-19 spreads in schools also reveal low rates of transmission when community transmission is low. Based on current data, the rate of infection among younger school children, and from students to teachers, has been low, especially if proper precautions are followed. There have also been few reports of children being the primary source of COVID-19 transmission among family members.[6],[7],[8] This is consistent with data from both virus and antibody testing, suggesting that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community.[9],[10],[11] No studies are conclusive, but the available evidence provides reason to believe that in-person schooling is in the best interest of students, particularly in the context of appropriate mitigation measures similar to those implemented at essential workplaces

as u see 358 pediatric deaths H1N1, 2009-10, do you remember schools closing or any sports stoppage?

As mentioned several times, This is completely a political stunt controlled by the media and the democratic party. They are driving a double standard that will get erased come December no matter who win the election. Virginia is sadly caught in the political cross fire with king ralph.

I am not down playing the people who have died from this, but the timing on when this finally becomes just another illness is long overdue and once the election is over it will "magically" become another illness. Those with pre-existing conditions and the elderly are most at risk for.......... any viral or bacterial disease. Speaking of illness whatever happened to Zika?

3 hours ago, Single A west said:

COVID-19 and Children

For the 742nd time...

Approximately 1 in 6 (16%) people in the US had H1N1, and it killed under 13,000 people.  That’s roughly in line with any standard flu.  Approximately 1 in 50 people (2%, and I’m rounding up) has had COVID-19, and it has killed 172,000 people (I’m rounding down).  

Let’s recap.  COVID-19 has affected 1/8 the people of H1N1 and has killed 13 times the number of people of H1N1.  You’d have to be willfully stupid to consider this a government conspiracy.  Is it politicized?  Of course.  Are people worrying needlessly?  Of course!  But my goodness, intelligence seems to have left the building in 2020.