VHSL denies Giles bid to move down a classification.

Real Sasquatch

56 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We are no threat to them at all right now lol

Dont feel bad. No one else in 1A is either. Nor is 99% of 2A. I may not care for them but they've got quite a program. Some of their fans are okay though.

1 minute ago, mmqp said:

Dont feel bad. No one else in 1A is either. Nor is 99% of 2A. I may not care for them but they've got quite a program. Some of their fans are okay though.

Oh I'd say 2A could handle them...Giles destroyed them in 2013...glenvar did in 2014...then they decided to drop to 1A with their enrollment hmmmmmm

I'm sure Appomattox would beat their brains in the last few years too

29 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Oh I'd say 2A could handle them...Giles destroyed them in 2013...glenvar did in 2014...then they decided to drop to 1A with their enrollment hmmmmmm

Was it Glenvar that got them in 2014? I was thinking it was King William. Regardless, I believe Altavista or Essex could have taken Glenvar or Wilson that year. No clue how Giles lost to that Glenvar team. I also believe Riverheads would have won 2A last season or would have given Appomattox a run for their money in the title game

And yea, those of us in 1A had been predicting they'd drop years before they actually did. I had a conversation with Billy Haun a few years back and while we usually think of being on a 2 year cycle, enrollment numbers apparently go on a 4 year cycle. So that is why Riverheads didnt drop sooner, and I assure you they would have if they could have lol.

6 minutes ago, mmqp said:

Was it Glenvar that got them in 2014? I was thinking it was King William. Regardless, I believe Altavista or Essex could have taken Glenvar or Wilson that year. No clue how Giles lost to that Glenvar team. I also believe Riverheads would have won 2A last season or would have given Appomattox a run for their money in the title game

And yea, those of us in 1A had been predicting they'd drop years before they actually did. I had a conversation with Billy Haun a few years back and while we usually think of being on a 2 year cycle, enrollment numbers apparently go on a 4 year cycle. So that is why Riverheads didnt drop sooner, and I assure you they would have if they could have lol.

Yea glenvar beat them in 2014...and glenvar beat Giles because of numerous things...a few fluke plays I've never seen in a football game before and they got every break...and also I think some of our players thought the game was over before it started because we kicked their tails bad about 3 weeks before...they found out different

But glenvar was very very good that year though

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Appomattox would have won the 1A-4A titles in 2016, and I’m not unconvinced they wouldn’t have given a good account of themselves in 5A.  In any regard, any Appomattox team would have beaten any Riverheads team of similar vintage of the past 6 years.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

No way they beat Graham in 2018 either.

Not a chance.  That Graham team was as scorching hot to end the year as any from SWVA I’ve seen in a long, long time.  

They wouldn’t have beaten Graham last year either.  I still think if Appomattox played Graham 10 times last year, Graham would have won 7-8 of them.  But alas.

25 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Not a chance.  That Graham team was as scorching hot to end the year as any from SWVA I’ve seen in a long, long time.  

They wouldn’t have beaten Graham last year either.  I still think if Appomattox played Graham 10 times last year, Graham would have won 7-8 of them.  But alas.

I think he's agreeing with u

8 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Fort Chiswell's bid to move down was approved.

Bland County was denied their bid to move to the Hogoheegee.

Bland vs Thomas Walker in the opening round of a Region D tournament would be a heckuva trip.

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Fort Chiswell's bid to move down was approved.

Bland County was denied their bid to move to the Hogoheegee.

Does VHSL give reasoning behind these decisions as to why some are granted and others are not? It’s not like Bland is a big threat to anyone in MED or Hogaheegee. I’m not sure why they wanted to switch though, maybe less travel??? 

56 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

How does Lebanon qualify to drop to division 1?

He didn't say they were dropping classification, just moving to a new district.  Take Abingdon for example.  A 3A school playing in an otherwise 2A district.

Edit:  Sorry, didn't see the post in the other thread.  Guess they are moving down.  Not sure how.

Edit 2:  An excerpt from the Kingsport Times article:

The mid-cycle realignments allow schools with a 5% or greater decline in enrollment in the first two years of the four-year cycle to drop down in classification and to move schools with a 5% or greater enrollment increase to move up.

10 hours ago, mmqp said:

I agree about their fans.  Talked to some of them at Galax a few years ago and at Mac N Bob's a few years ago as well.  All of them were very polite and friendly.

30 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I agree about their fans.  Talked to some of them at Galax a few years ago and at Mac N Bob's a few years ago as well.  All of them were very polite and friendly.

Riverheads fans, I haven’t really seen a huge issue with. 

Appomattox fans? Entitled. Whiny. Insufferable. 

11 hours ago, mmqp said:

Not necessarily true.  If Galax had committed to the run game earlier in the championship game in December, Galax very likely would have won the game.  Even Riverheads coaches and fans admitted as much in post game interviews.  But as they say, if if's and buts were candy and nuts...........

As for the fans, the ones I have encountered have been completely realistic and very polite.  The community support they have rivals anything I have ever seen in far SWVA.