VHSL denies Giles bid to move down a classification.

Real Sasquatch

21 minutes ago, Bluefield researcher said:

He didn't go to a school in the Tidewater area. He was at Patrick Henry in Roanoke in 1989. They played a game vs Homer Ferguson at Todd Stadium in Newport News. At Halftime he yelled at his team because they were losing. He was reported to have said, "Are you gonna let a bunch of N beat you?". He was fired. But Richlands hired him a year later.

Not exactly the version I heard.  In admonishing a player (or players) of African descent to avoid behaving at the level of members of the opposing team, supposedly he said something along the lines of, "Let them act like N, but we're not going to do that."

Still wrong to say, but context is everything.  A long-serving and respected local government administrator in the Roanoke area used the term "N in a wood pile" after Vaught's incident at PH and served on into retirement. 

Also, Richlands didn't hire him a year later.  He was brought in by the Superintendent in 1990 with the notion that he would take over the next head coaching job that happened to be available in Tazewell County.  Coincidentally that was Richlands. 

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Perhaps it's different circles.  If you ask a lifelong Salem fan who's in the 44-48 age range, you'll get an earful.  I've tested this enough to publish this in a peer-reviewed journal.

Well there’s those fans. 

I can certainly understand it if they were on the 92 team. Once Richlands was found out, they probably felt cheated out of something they worked hard for. If they were students during that time and not on the team then they may feel that their classmates got cheated. 

Not saying the Richlands players cheated. From what I gather, it wasn’t the fault of the players. That cleatgate was on Richlands’ coach.

It probably didn’t make a difference. But the Richlands players on that team now have the asterisk on the trophy they won.

Most Salem fans I see everyday do not whine about it. Why should they whine? From 1996 through today, they’ve been the cream of the crop in the Roanoke Valley. 9 state championships in 21 years. 

4 hours ago, Dookthecook said:

Pine Ears not bit sceert green water.

Wouldnt expect them to be.  On a serious note,  a couple years ago when both programs were having strong tennis seasons the coach at Narrows was explaining to the kids how far of a bus ride it could possibly be to Ewing.  They ended up having a round trip to John Battle and got smoked by a loaded team there that season.  But the point that hit home to the kids was that TWHS was actually further west than Detroit, MI on a map and it would be a long, full day and trip.  

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

One of those “perspective” things that doesn’t seem right.  Closer to 8 other state capitals than their own.

One thing that hurts it is the lack of attention that Richmond gives them. Hell, I live 3 hours from Richmond and just under 3 hours from Charleston. 

Craig County borders on SWVA and the Virginia Highlands. Richmond would dump the part of the state from Bath County to Lee if they could.

15 hours ago, rsntu88 said:

One thing that hurts it is the lack of attention that Richmond gives them. Hell, I live 3 hours from Richmond and just under 3 hours from Charleston. 

Craig County borders on SWVA and the Virginia Highlands. Richmond would dump the part of the state from Bath County to Lee if they could.

Luv us'n taxes

On 8/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, UVAObserver said:

One of those “perspective” things that doesn’t seem right.  Closer to 8 other state capitals than their own.

And we get more from those capitals than our own. The last time Richmond cared about this end of the state, the Native Americas were still the majority land owner. 

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

Giles is now a member of the Mountain Empire in the next cycle after winning their appeal.

I suspected Giles would win on appeal.  They are in a very similar position as Fort Chiswell and Grayson County were in recent years.

VHSL reverses decision on allowing Giles to drop to Class 1. The Spartans will now move down beginning in the 2021-22 season #Timesland

Giles wins appeal to drop to Class 1, join MED

Or play up a division like Graham did for nearly 40 years.  They still managed 2 titles in 2A with 1A numbers.  Graham is getting dangerously close to 1A numbers again.  If they go to a 4 classification system with the cutoff around 500., Graham and Tazewell may be dropping.

57 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Or play up a division like Graham did for nearly 40 years.  They still managed 2 titles in 2A with 1A numbers.  Graham is getting dangerously close to 1A numbers again.  If they go to a 4 classification system with the cutoff around 500., Graham and Tazewell may be dropping.

"3A" Division 3 for Graham, not 2A. Graham won 2 titles at the Division 3 level while playing with 1A numbers. 

Back then, there were 6 levels of classification like there is today, but they were called Divisions. Div 1 through 6. Graham was Div 3. You also had single A, AA, and AAA and in Single A, you had Div 1 and 2. In AA, you had Div 3 and 4, and in AAA, you had Div 5 and 6. Most people used the lingo of Big and Small instead of Divisions when describing a team. For example, Richlands in 1992 was "Double A big," or Division 4. Graham was "AA small," meaning Division 3, biut not to be mistaken as the 2nd out of 6 levels of play. 

In 1962, Graham had 2A numbers at best (borderline 1A numbers) when they won the Triple A state title, and VA only had 3 classes or levels of play then. From 1970 to 1985, vA still only had 3 classes and Graham was AA and should have been 1A the whole time.  Graham had several state semis and one state title loss while in Div 3 in addition to the 2 titles won while in Div 3.  In all truth, Graham played not just up for 50 years, but played 2 levels/2 classifications up for about 45-50 years. That's the remarkable part to me in that they truly were borderline playing up 2 classifications from where they should have been.

Last of all, how about Tazewell's 86 and Richland's 92 titles. Both would be equal to 4A today as both schools then were 2A "big," Division 4 and VA having 6 classes of play, both schools won titles playing at the 4yh highest out of 6 classifications. That's impressive.

5 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

"3A" Division 3 for Graham, not 2A. Graham won 2 titles at the Division 3 level while playing with 1A numbers. 

Back then, there were 6 levels of classification like there is today, but they were called Divisions. Div 1 through 6. Graham was Div 3. You also had single A, AA, and AAA and in Single A, you had Div 1 and 2. In AA, you had Div 3 and 4, and in AAA, you had Div 5 and 6. Most people used the lingo of Big and Small instead of Divisions when describing a team. For example, Richlands in 1992 was "Double A big," or Division 4. Graham was "AA small," meaning Division 3, biut not to be mistaken as the 2nd out of 6 levels of play. 

In 1962, Graham had 2A numbers at best (borderline 1A numbers) when they won the Triple A state title, and VA only had 3 classes or levels of play then. From 1970 to 1985, vA still only had 3 classes and Graham was AA and should have been 1A the whole time.  Graham had several state semis and one state title loss while in Div 3 in addition to the 2 titles won while in Div 3.  In all truth, Graham played not just up for 50 years, but played 2 levels/2 classifications up for about 45-50 years. That's the remarkable part to me in that they truly were borderline playing up 2 classifications from where they should have been.

Last of all, how about Tazewell's 86 and Richland's 92 titles. Both would be equal to 4A today as both schools then were 2A "big," Division 4 and VA having 6 classes of play, both schools won titles playing at the 4yh highest out of 6 classifications. That's impressive.

Im old.  It used to be A, AA and AAA before all that Division 1, 2 and 3 crap. And it was A Division 1 and 2.  AA division 3 and 4 amd AAA division 5 and 6.  I go way back before that 6 division stuff. Grahams enrollment has been as low as about 475 in the recent past, but not "Division 1" numbers.  They have been at the lower end of"Division 2 for a while now.  In the 80a it hovered around 600-700.

17 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

It was Class AA, Division 3...

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

They have been at the lower end of"Division 2 for a while now.  In the 80a it hovered around 600-700.

In 1985, there were 510 students at Graham.  My class had 120.  I don't think Graham has ever had over 600 students...been close but never over...

45 minutes ago, GMan said:

In 1985, there were 510 students at Graham.  My class had 120.  I don't think Graham has ever had over 600 students...been close but never over...

Population in Tazewell County peaked right around 1980.  At that time Richlands had an enrollment of about 1,300 and there was a lot of chatter about us being bumped up to Class AAA and playing in the old Roanoke Valley District.  (Guessing that we may have even been the beneficiary of a classification appeal ourselves at that time.)  But those numbers started to drop pretty consistently shortly thereafter.  By the time I graduated in 1989 RHS was down to about 1,100.

Pointing all of that out on our end of the county because I'm curious if things were the same in Bluefield.  Narrative I always heard growing up was that Graham "played up" consistently from the point of the 1970 realignment.  And that does indeed make the athletic accomplishments of those teams more impressive, IMO.