VHSL denies Giles bid to move down a classification.

Real Sasquatch

It's the dilemma of having so many classes to be fair to the smaller schools without watering down the value of a state title.  To be fair, 10 classifications would be better and ensure the smaller schools, and the super large schools for that matter, are classified correctly which doesn't offer a disadvantage or advantage.  But, the thought is the more classifications you have, a state title may not mean as much or be valued as much.  I like 5 classes personally.  I think 4 is not enough and would make it really tough on the small single A schools an 6 is a bit much.  

3 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Glad they do cause that's what it should be IMO....4 classes

So, you think it's fair that John Battle and Council should be in the same classification in terms of seeking VHSL championships?  Likewise, you think it's fair that Charlottesville High School and Gate City should share the same VHSL classification?

That's what you're advocating.  And it makes literally zero logical sense.  

13 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

So, you think it's fair that John Battle and Council should be in the same classification in terms of seeking VHSL championships?  Likewise, you think it's fair that Charlottesville High School and Gate City should share the same VHSL classification?

You play in what class you are in as far as enrollment period...no more of this letting teams like carroll co play down because they can't compete in their classification

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

Explain. Wouldn't you have better competitive balance with six classes? It matches up schools closer in enrollment than four classes would. 

The smallest 1A or 2A schools having to play the biggest in their classes would be hundreds of students difference in enrollment.

Yes imo 6 would be better but I doubt they ever go that route

4 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

4 classifications is the plan for now. Until they realize they make more money with 6 and let everybody and their uncle make the playoffs.

Hell they do that already...the playoffs now are a total joke...when 2-8 & 0-10 teams makes playoffs it's a joke

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

4 classifications is the plan for now. Until they realize they make more money with 6 and let everybody and their uncle make the playoffs.

And I for one welcome that. These are HS kids, why not let as many teams in as possible? In HS, upsets aren't as common between the very best and the very worst bc the talent level is often wildly different so the top teams usually have nothing to worry about. Plus it's exciting if a, say, 6-4 under achieving team gets hot and goes on a run. 

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

And I for one welcome that. These are HS kids, why not let as many teams in as possible? In HS, upsets aren't as common between the very best and the very worst bc the talent level is often wildly different so the top teams usually have nothing to worry about. Plus it's exciting if a, say, 6-4 under achieving team gets hot and goes on a run. 

So 0-10 teams deserve a playoff spot? This is the old give everyone a trophy thing isn't it?

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Council and John Battle were in the same classification in 2001 when Council won it in hoops. Both were A schools. Just a note

8 hours ago, rvtne216 said:

Council and John Battle were in the same classification in 2001 when Council won it in hoops. Both were A schools. Just a note

It didn’t make a lick of sense then either.  On very rare occasions, a school can overcome a 5x enrollment disparity.  By matter of scale, it would be equivalent to putting T.C. Williams in the Southwest District.  Once in a generation, you may be able to beat a school that size at something.  But ethically, it’s a sham.

16 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

So 0-10 teams deserve a playoff spot? This is the old give everyone a trophy thing isn't it?

If a region has 16 teams and 12 make the playoffs, whats the issue there? These are teenagers who 99% will never see the field again, why not let them get one more game?

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

If a region has 16 teams and 12 make the playoffs, whats the issue there? These are teenagers who 99% will never see the field again, why not let them get one more game?

Even if a team is 0-10? Still reward them and let them play? Sheesh

So let 0-12 teams go to a bowl game too since most will never play again...isn't that same thing?

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Even if a team is 0-10? Still reward them and let them play? Sheesh

So let 0-12 teams go to a bowl game too since most will never play again...isn't that same thing?

If you have four winless teams in a 16-team region, something is wrong. But yeah I guess, if they were a top 12 team in their region.

who cares? Who does it really hurt? The playoffs aren't a reward as much as an extension of a season. And everyone should want the best teams to have a chance to make a title run. The fewer teams, the more left out, allowing for the possibility of a great team being left out. If you could show a solid reason against it, maybe I could see it, but if it's just the silly "harrumph harrump back in my day' crap, then well you have no real argument. 

the negatives would be you are asking teens to play an extra game, that's a legit argument. But I have a feeling every single player is okay with playing one more game. 

The top teams would have to win more games, but it's equal across the board. No team plays more or less games. 

It's also extra revenue coming in, not a bad thing.

so my argument is, who cares? Who does it hurt? 

at the college level, if a company wants to sponsor a bowl and invite two 4-8 teams, so what? Players can choose to sit out, they do it anyway. It's not watering down anything any more than it is now, if you aren't in the CFP or a New Years Day bowl, it's all the same. Is a 6-6 Pac-12 team any more deserving than a 4-8 SEC team?

26 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

If you have four winless teams in a 16-team region, something is wrong. But yeah I guess, if they were a top 12 team in their region.

who cares? Who does it really hurt? The playoffs aren't a reward as much as an extension of a season. And everyone should want the best teams to have a chance to make a title run. The fewer teams, the more left out, allowing for the possibility of a great team being left out. If you could show a solid reason against it, maybe I could see it, but if it's just the silly "harrumph harrump back in my day' crap, then well you have no real argument. 

the negatives would be you are asking teens to play an extra game, that's a legit argument. But I have a feeling every single player is okay with playing one more game. 

The top teams would have to win more games, but it's equal across the board. No team plays more or less games. 

It's also extra revenue coming in, not a bad thing.

so my argument is, who cares? Who does it hurt? 

at the college level, if a company wants to sponsor a bowl and invite two 4-8 teams, so what? Players can choose to sit out, they do it anyway. It's not watering down anything any more than it is now, if you aren't in the CFP or a New Years Day bowl, it's all the same. Is a 6-6 Pac-12 team any more deserving than a 4-8 SEC team?

I just think it's idiotic...but you are on the other side of the fence...agree to disagree...you will never change my mind on it

25 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I say keep the "plus one"  If VA goes to a 4A system.  That way everybody gets an extra game and maybe we can give them all a snack bag and trophy.

Never once did I say everyone deserved a trophy just for showing up. Winners get trophies. Why do all of you seem so perturbed by the idea of a mediocre team getting to play one extra game at the HS level? Again, who does it hurt? At the HS level, football should be more inclined to let a bad team in the playoffs than to keep a good team out. Pretty simple. 

This all seems to silly to me. Adults being upset over the idea of letting more teams into HS playoffs. This isn't the NFL, no one is expecting professional performance (or they should be ashamed if they are, there's a difference between getting the most out of kids and holding them to unreasonable expectations). You aren't a winner simply by making the playoffs, you're a winner when you win important, loser goes home games. 

Just now, BigWinners said:

Never once did I say everyone deserved a trophy just for showing up. Winners get trophies. Why do all of you seem so perturbed by the idea of a mediocre team getting to play one extra game at the HS level? Again, who does it hurt? At the HS level, football should be more inclined to let a bad team in the playoffs than to keep a good team out. Pretty simple. 

This all seems to silly to me. Adults being upset over the idea of letting more teams into HS playoffs. This isn't the NFL, no one is expecting professional performance (or they should be ashamed if they are, there's a difference between getting the most out of kids and holding them to unreasonable expectations). You aren't a winner simply by making the playoffs, you're a winner when you win important, loser goes home games. 

I say keep the plus 1.  That way everybody geta to play an extra week and quality teams make the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I say keep the plus 1.  That way everybody geta to play an extra week and quality teams make the playoffs.

I wouldn't hate that. I do believe it's better to see the occasional bad team make playoffs over a very good team getting left out but if you wanted to keep the playoffs at 8/16 and allow non qualifiers to schedule an extra game, that seems like a good compromise.

9 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I wouldn't hate that. I do believe it's better to see the occasional bad team make playoffs over a very good team getting left out but if you wanted to keep the playoffs at 8/16 and allow non qualifiers to schedule an extra game, that seems like a good compromise.

Do you really think many kids on an 0-10 team really wants to play another meaningless game that means zilch?

I bet most wouldn't...but hey let's let them play for no reason and risk an injury in a game that means nothing

May as well just let every team in the state make the playoffs reguardless of record...that way everyone is happy

13 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Do you really think many kids on an 0-10 team really wants to play another meaningless game that means zilch?

I bet most wouldn't...but hey let's let them play for no reason and risk an injury in a game that means nothing

May as well just let every team in the state make the playoffs reguardless of record...that way everyone is happy

Unless they play another 0-10 team and feel like they have a chance to win one.  Also, the plus one could be optional.  Not every team would be able to find an opponent anyway.  Maybe both teams could agree to split the revenue also.  

After reading opinions on here.  My personal opinion is a 5A system with A 12 team playoff (top seed in region gets a bye) and  teams not qualifying for the playoffs have an option of a plus one game against an opponent  of similar skill level.  Could be  a rematch or somebody not on schedule.

26 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Unless they play another 0-10 team and feel like they have a chance to win one.  Also, the plus one could be optional.  Not every team would be able to find an opponent anyway.  Maybe both teams could agree to split the revenue also.  

I disagree...think it's pointless...but just my opinion...you obviously disagree with my opinion and that's fine

17 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

like Sasquatch said, if you're in any way competitive and you think you can win a game and not end up winless, you damn sure want that extra game to try, esp if it's not a playoff game but a year end OOC game scheduled against a team you would likely never see in the regular season.

34 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

like Sasquatch said, if you're in any way competitive and you think you can win a game and not end up winless, you damn sure want that extra game to try, esp if it's not a playoff game but a year end OOC game scheduled against a team you would likely never see in the regular season.

Ok if you say so

We disagree let it go