VHSL denies Giles bid to move down a classification.

Real Sasquatch

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

like Sasquatch said, if you're in any way competitive and you think you can win a game and not end up winless, you damn sure want that extra game to try, esp if it's not a playoff game but a year end OOC game scheduled against a team you would likely never see in the regular season.

I hope they keep the Plus-One option, even if things get back to normal.  It could be just that "optional".  Sort of like a Bowl-Game for teams.  Lord knows, the athletic departments are going to be in a pinch for cash after this year.  On a side note:  It would be nice if teams were to stream their games online this season.  I know, I would be willing to pay to watch, if I had to.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I hope they keep the Plus-One option, even if things get back to normal.  It could be just that "optional".  Sort of like a Bowl-Game for teams.  Lord knows, the athletic departments are going to be in a pinch for cash after this year.  On a side note:  It would be nice if teams were to stream their games online this season.  I know, I would be willing to pay to watch, if I had to.

Absolutely on both accounts. But the VHSL has never been a shining beacon of common sense, so who knows how they'll decide streaming rules. In a year where teams have been CRUSHED financially and most local businesses are in no position to help out fundraising wise, letting teams run their own streaming operations seems to make so much sense. I don't know what agreements the VHSL has with streaming outlets like NFHS, but I don't believe they cover every game, esp in our area. If their prior obligations aren't gonna cover a game, let each school stream it and have them decide to paywall it or sell ads on a FB live or something. 

Or, leave it up to each respective district. Allow the SWD or M7 to determine how they'll handle streaming knowing it's super unlikely the state will allow full bleachers. If the M7 wants to give home teams first dibs or allow each school to run their own streams (which is pretty simple in 2020, you don't even really need announcers) and the SWD wants to do the opposite, let It happen in for this year only. But every school should be exploring streaming games regardless, it's too easy to do now to leave that potential revenue just out there.

I think its solved then.  I've read this thread for arguments of 4 and 6.  It seems like this discussion everywhere seems to have strong pro's and con's with 4 and 6.  Like I wrote earlier, split the difference and go to 5 classes.  5 is easy.  No change needed, you don't need a nickle and 1 penny (6 classes) and you don't need 4 pennies (4 classes), you just need a straight up ole nickle, lol.  With 5, I still think it's good enough to where the playoffs and state titles are not devalued, and I think if you have 5, a team that was likely going to win a state title with 6 classes will still win it with 5 classes.  

Now, if you want some real cool stuff that will never happen again unfortunately because of money.  Return the state championships back to the local schools.  We used to rotate every 2 years when it was like this with the East getting 2 years of field and the West getting 2 years of home field, etc.  Lets have those state title games back on the homefield's of Giles, Graham, Union, Richlands, or Rustburg, William Campbell, Riverheads, etc.  Wishful thinking here.

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Yes I can say it and I did

Then you don't really want to let it go. If you wanna agree to disagree, cool. But if you keep responding to my posts to someone else and continually interjecting your POV, it's obv you wanna argue about it. 

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I think its solved then.  I've read this thread for arguments of 4 and 6.  It seems like this discussion everywhere seems to have strong pro's and con's with 4 and 6.  Like I wrote earlier, split the difference and go to 5 classes.  5 is easy.  No change needed, you don't need a nickle and 1 penny (6 classes) and you don't need 4 pennies (4 classes), you just need a straight up ole nickle, lol.  With 5, I still think it's good enough to where the playoffs and state titles are not devalued, and I think if you have 5, a team that was likely going to win a state title with 6 classes will still win it with 5 classes.  

Now, if you want some real cool stuff that will never happen again unfortunately because of money.  Return the state championships back to the local schools.  We used to rotate every 2 years when it was like this with the East getting 2 years of field and the West getting 2 years of home field, etc.  Lets have those state title games back on the homefield's of Giles, Graham, Union, Richlands, or Rustburg, William Campbell, Riverheads, etc.  Wishful thinking here.

It would be neat if each region got to host the title game on a rotating basis, but that truthfully is a logistical nightmare and the VHSL has had a pretty good showing with having the neutral site games with multiple played on same day. 

I think we would need to see the actual class numbers but five could work. I just don't see why the VHSL is so intent on reducing classes. There's more revenue in more classes and I believe it gives a fair champion. The difference between having a pool of 100 athletic kids and 500 athletic kids to fill out a team is a gigantic gap. There's no way Norton or Hurley should be expected to compete with Goochland or RE Lee for a state title. If you shrink divisions, it would be possible to see Burton (220 kids per 2018 ADM, may be smaller now) be expected to play a team like Richlands (680) in the playoffs. Right now, the gap in 2A is around 255 kids and 1A is around 300 kids, depending on if you wanna count real outliers at the bottom like Highland, which registered 57 kids. Council was listed at 108 while the highest was Northampton at 453 (Riverheads right behind at 447). That's a big gap and fewer means even bigger gaps. I guess you could go 0-499, 500-999, 1000-1499, 1500-1999, and 2000-all. But that's still asking Twin Springs to compete against Graham (who I believe will be under or right around 500 kids at next numbers) and Tazwell (who is right near that 500 line) competing against places like Abingdon and Northside.

in that scenario, if a school like Tazwell or Giles wins a 2A title, they've damn sure earned it lol

If the larger schools want reduced classifications then let them have it;

Set a HARD enrollment number at 350 for 1A (31 total teams) and reduce the number of playoff teams to 8 statewide and keep the +1  since the pool of potential teams is smaller, it also almost guarantees that a 2-8 team doesn't have to travel to the #1 team in the region and get slaughtered in the first round, instead they get a competitive game.

Divide the rest of the state into equal fifths and then combine the largest two fifths (5/6) into the largest classification - 5A, and keep their playoff eligible teams at 8 per region since there are so many schools in that classification.

2A, 3A, 4A - keep 4 teams per region in the playoffs and the +1 if the group so chooses(I think its a great idea).

Thats not equal in any way but if fair to the needs of the schools based on size. Just a thought.