Historical atrocities related/attributed to Richlands

RichlandsAlum

2 hours ago, local_insight said:

#25 Richlands throwing the game against Abingdon to avoid Union in the playoffs in 2015. 

I know this is meant in jest, but it brings to mind Magna Vista throwing the season finale against Bassett in 1996 to help them sneak into the playoffs over Graham.  

Magna Vista had already locked up the #2 seed, and mathematically could not jump Gate City (10-0) for #1.  Graham (7-3) was the #4 seed in R4D3 with a Bassett loss, but Bassett (7-3) could vault to #4 in R4D3 with a win over Magna Vista, who was 9-0 and had not played a game closer than 9 points all season long.  So, Magna Vista and Bassett, being in the same district, could not play each other in Round 1.

So, Magna Vista colludes with Bassett and blows that game 28-12 (fewest points scored all season, most points allowed all season).  Bassett proceeds to get obliterated at Gate City in Round 1, the same place where Graham played them much tougher and much closer earlier that season.

That one season kept Graham from having a 20 season playoff streak from 1989-2008, in an era where it was significantly tougher to pull off than it is now (not to mention defending the state championship).  Graham lost 3 games by a combined 35 points to teams that had a combined record of 35-4, whereas Bassett got a gazillion points from one fraudulent game to offset a much weaker schedule.  At least Graham never lost to Bassett or Magna Vista again, and in fact pretty well crushed them in a few subsequent playoff meetings.  

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I know this is meant in jest, but it brings to mind Magna Vista throwing the season finale against Bassett in 1996 to help them sneak into the playoffs over Graham.  

Magna Vista had already locked up the #2 seed, and mathematically could not jump Gate City (10-0) for #1.  Graham (7-3) was the #4 seed in R4D3 with a Bassett loss, but Bassett (7-3) could vault to #4 in R4D3 with a win over Magna Vista, who was 9-0 and had not played a game closer than 9 points all season long.  So, Magna Vista and Bassett, being in the same district, could not play each other in Round 1.

So, Magna Vista colludes with Bassett and blows that game 28-12 (fewest points scored all season, most points allowed all season).  Bassett proceeds to get obliterated at Gate City in Round 1, the same place where Graham played them much tougher and much closer earlier that season.

That one season kept Graham from having a 20 season playoff streak from 1989-2008, in an era where it was significantly tougher to pull off than it is now.  Graham lost 3 games by a combined 35 points to teams that had a combined record of 35-4, whereas Bassett got a gazillion points from one fraudulent game to offset a much weaker schedule.  At least Graham never lost to Bassett or Magna Vista again, and in fact pretty well crushed them in a few subsequent playoff meetings.  

I watched Graham beat Patrick County to become 7-3. I was returning from out of town and made a side trip to watch that game on the way back.   They had a lot of momentum.  The Bassett-Magna Vista final was stated over the loud speaker to disbelief.  

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I watched Graham beat Patrick County to become 7-3. I was returning from out of town and made a side trip to watch that game on the way back.   They had a lot of momentum.  The Bassett-Magna Vista final was stated over the loud speaker to disbelief.  

Yep, felt like someone had punched me in the gut when they announced that score...that was the most disappointed I was over Graham football since 1991 when Radford bitch-slapped my G-Men in the playoffs after Graham had whipped them two weeks earlier in the final game of the regular season.  2001 was the next time I had that feeling after Graham took a dump in the State Championship game.  Didn't feel like that again until 2010 when the G-Men went 1-9 in Doug Marrs final season as the head coach.  The last time I felt like that was Mike Williams last season in 2014 when Graham let everyone score 50+ plus on them, being capped off by a 70-0 loss to Gate City.  That season was just plain old disgusting...worse than the 1-9 season.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, RichlandsAlum said:

20.  A member of the RHS golf team once carried 15 clubs in his bag in a match played against Giles at Castle Rock golf course.  Oddly enough, this example of cheating apparently escaped the attention of the usually vigilant Spartan fan base.

Feel free to add to this list and/or edit as you may see fit.  Personally, I know I feel a whole lot better after posting this.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:53 PM, GMan said:

4b.  And a Cleveland Golf wedge.

4c.  A Ping Eye2 demo 5-iron.

4d.  Not to mention, looting members lockers, including taking adult beverages and personal belongings.

The school was notified, I'm sure they took care of it...not...

I bet they forgot to take out the clubs they stole from Fincastle...

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:26 AM, UVAObserver said:

That one season kept Graham from having a 20 season playoff streak from 1989-2008, in an era where it was significantly tougher to pull off than it is now (not to mention defending the state championship).  Graham lost 3 games by a combined 35 points to teams that had a combined record of 35-4, whereas Bassett got a gazillion points from one fraudulent game to offset a much weaker schedule.  At least Graham never lost to Bassett or Magna Vista again, and in fact pretty well crushed them in a few subsequent playoff meetings.  

Magna Vista came to GC expecting to win and got smacked in the mouth also. First and only time in my life I've had a knife pulled on me trying to walk out of our own stadium. Bassett had no business being on the field that night. They were horrible. There was no way (without collusion) that Bassett could ever beat Magna Vista.

19 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Okay, you gotta tell this story

Absolutely gotta hear this ! 

Had a rough trip over to Big Creek one year back in the 70's

I had a custom Van back in 77 through 79 and it had a beautiful paint job,  but after a trip to watch the blues play Big Creek it wasn't as pretty.  Someone had keyed the whole driver side and broke both side mirrors off !  Glad we never played them again 

18 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Okay, you gotta tell this story

We were walking out and some of their folks were standing along the fence and one said "if we had played the entire game like the 4th quarter we would've killed them". For those that remember OleTob, he had no filter or the strength to remain silent. So he said "yeah it's possible if we had played our 2nd and 3rd string all 4 quarters except for the 4th". One of them pulled it out of his coat as we were walking away but apparently he noticed the Scott County deputies at the end of the fence. Probably didn't help when my brother asked them "who do y'all play next week?". Good times.