Playoff predictions

Impossible to say unless you consider how the regions will select their 4 playoff participants.  

Take 2A for example.  Do you do the simple thing and take the Top 2 from each District, or do you do the hard thing and go by rating points?  If you do the 1st, how would you reconcile the very real possibility of a 3-way identical tie atop the SWD (Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands going 6-1 and 1-1 against each other).  If you do the second, how do you reconcile the M7 having all common opponents while the SWD would have “district + 1”, which could in theory be gamed to garner higher rating points.  

50 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I predict Marion vs Lebanon for region D championship.  Due to postponements and cancellations.

I predict that Marion and Lebanon will consolidate football programs just to have enough players to field a team. 

1 hour ago, Plywood_King said:

I predict that Marion and Lebanon will consolidate football programs just to have enough players to field a team. 

This isn’t that far off.  Lebanon’s wrestling (winter) and baseball (late spring) programs are going to eat into numbers pretty deeply.  Marion...what’s happened there is sad.  The cupboard’s bare and there’s zero excitement.

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

This isn’t that far off.  Lebanon’s wrestling (winter) and baseball (late spring) programs are going to eat into numbers pretty deeply.  Marion...what’s happened there is sad.  The cupboard’s bare and there’s zero excitement.

I'm beginning to wonder if we are truly seeing the effects of population shifts. People leaving Southwestern VA, and some of the first effects being seen in smaller schools, or to be more specific, in towns with struggling economies that have little room for population decline, etc. Maybe this is not the case at all, but just a situation where Marion, Lebanon, and now Giles, are clearly down. Hard to say...

27 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if we are truly seeing the effects of population shifts. People leaving Southwestern VA, and some of the first effects being seen in smaller schools, or to be more specific, in towns with struggling economies that have little room for population decline, etc. Maybe this is not the case at all, but just a situation where Marion, Lebanon, and now Giles, are clearly down. Hard to say...

In Giles case it's just a down cycle...happens everywhere...when you are as good as we have been for many years you eventually hit a wall...we have hit it recently

2 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

In Giles case it's just a down cycle...happens everywhere...when you are as good as we have been for many years you eventually hit a wall...we have hit it recently

Graham went through a period of about 10 years of being at rock bottom. Tazewell is coming out of a long funk.  I really hope the kids get to play in the spring.  This year, I really think could be a break-through season for the Dogs.  It's hard to build a winning culture.

I just hope we play; personally think Virginia could have had abbreviated season this fall especially after reading CDC’s revised numbers and data concerning Covid. We shouldn’t have to be watching ESPN to see HS football.  Predictions? I’ll take Graham for district just because I’m loyal. Regionals, no clue. 

On 8/27/2020 at 12:48 PM, UVAObserver said:

Impossible to say unless you consider how the regions will select their 4 playoff participants.  

Take 2A for example.  Do you do the simple thing and take the Top 2 from each District, or do you do the hard thing and go by rating points?  If you do the 1st, how would you reconcile the very real possibility of a 3-way identical tie atop the SWD (Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands going 6-1 and 1-1 against each other).  If you do the second, how do you reconcile the M7 having all common opponents while the SWD would have “district + 1”, which could in theory be gamed to garner higher rating points.  

3 way tie you say?

It’s real bad here at Marion now and I’m seriously considering sending my son to Chilhowie schools when he gets old enough.. He loves baseball and they’ve got a good baseball program there and I believe he would have the best chance to succeed with sports and academically at Chilhowie. My wife is from Chilhowie so it’s not that big of a deal even though I’ve always hated them lol

7 minutes ago, Canes00 said:

It’s real bad here at Marion now and I’m seriously considering sending my son to Chilhowie schools when he gets old enough.. He loves baseball and they’ve got a good baseball program there and I believe he would have the best chance to succeed with sports and academically at Chilhowie. My wife is from Chilhowie so it’s not that big of a deal even though I’ve always hated them lol

As it stands, my stepson will be a Holston Cavalier and my son will be a Bearcat lol. But we’ve got a long time until that point for the little one. Maybe I can find a way to get back to Richlands haha. 

16 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I just hope we play; personally think Virginia could have had abbreviated season this fall especially after reading CDC’s revised numbers and data concerning Covid. We shouldn’t have to be watching ESPN to see HS football.  Predictions? I’ll take Graham for district just because I’m loyal. Regionals, no clue. 

Graham is the top dog until somebody knocks them off, for sure.  Graham will return enough weapons to win the district again.  Tazewell will be right there with them this season, I think.  Confidence will be the key for the Dogs this season.  Containing Bradshaw will be the key for any team that looks to beat Graham.  I look for Xayvion (if they get to play) to take it to another level this year.  If Graham has just one other player that can take a little heat off of Bradshaw, he will have a season that ranks right up there with what his father could do in a season offensively at Graham(consensed season of course).  HIs father was more physical and dominated on both sides of the ball, but I believe Xayvion is just as quick and just as fast and has better hands, at this point.  He is coming along physically as well, I hear.  Can't wait to see that young man play.  I know Meadows will be back and that Blevins will be back at QB, other than that, I don't know much about Graham.  Tazewell returns most of their key players.  Chance Harris is recovered from injury, his younger brother is impressive as a sophomore.  Nunley is impressive at QB, the backup QB, Jared Mullens is impressive also and will be a good athlete to have on the field. Mike Jones was banged up for most of the season and is a good, elusive running-back / receiver.  Josiah Jordan will be back and is an all around great athlete on offense and defense.  Tazewell has developed a good kicking game.  The line will be big and experienced.  Tazewell has all the tools to do very well this year.  If they play smart, the offense should put up big numbers.  The defense lost a couple of good linebackers,  but return the skill positions and most of the D-Line.   What Tazewell needs more than anything is to avoid the injury bug.  They have been devastated with injury the past 2 seasons. 

16 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham is the top dog until somebody knocks them off, for sure.  Graham will return enough weapons to win the district again.  Tazewell will be right there with them this season, I think.  Confidence will be the key for the Dogs this season.  Containing Bradshaw will be the key for any team that looks to beat Graham.  I look for Xayvion (if they get to play) to take it to another level this year.  If Graham has just one other player that can take a little heat off of Bradshaw, he will have a season that ranks right up there with what his father could do in a season offensively at Graham(consensed season of course).  HIs father was more physical and dominated on both sides of the ball, but I believe Xayvion is just as quick and just as fast and has better hands, at this point.  He is coming along physically as well, I hear.  Can't wait to see that young man play.  I know Meadows will be back and that Blevins will be back at QB, other than that, I don't know much about Graham.  Tazewell returns most of their key players.  Chance Harris is recovered from injury, his younger brother is impressive as a sophomore.  Nunley is impressive at QB, the backup QB, Jared Mullens is impressive also and will be a good athlete to have on the field. Mike Jones was banged up for most of the season and is a good, elusive running-back / receiver.  Josiah Jordan will be back and is an all around great athlete on offense and defense.  Tazewell has developed a good kicking game.  The line will be big and experienced.  Tazewell has all the tools to do very well this year.  If they play smart, the offense should put up big numbers.  The defense lost a couple of good linebackers,  but return the skill positions and most of the D-Line.   What Tazewell needs more than anything is to avoid the injury bug.  They have been devastated with injury the past 2 seasons. 

One positive thing is not playing Princeton...

4 hours ago, footballfanatic said:

any word on galax or george wythe?

Galax should be solid in terms of returning talent even though they lost a 2,000 yard RB, a 1,500 yard WR, and four 4-year starters from the line.  They have a lot of returning talent and a group of kids coming from JV who haven't experienced a loss since sandlot. 

The big question will be the loss of Dixon and everything that entails.  Dixon failed to reach the state semifinals twice in his career.  Those are some lofty expectations and huge shoes to fill!

Given the title of the thread is "Playoff Predictions,"  I will make the bold (maybe) prediction that Pulaski will make a deep run!  Dixon won't take long getting the most out of the talent level Pulaski can generate from year to year.  I plan on being there when/if they play Salem.  

42 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Given the title of the thread is "Playoff Predictions,"  I will make the bold (maybe) prediction that Pulaski will make a deep run!  Dixon won't take long getting the most out of the talent level Pulaski can generate from year to year.  I plan on being there when/if they play Salem.  

Pulaski County is a sleeping giant.  Dixon can wake them up quickly if the community buys in.  Going to be some interesting times in the New River Valley.

I think Dixon will have PC doing very well, but a couple of things.  A sleeping giant talent wise at the 1A level may actually be Galax when compared to other 1A schools in Southwestern VA. I think it was Galax (kind of like we think of Pulaski now) who was one coach away from being a late playoff contender seemingly every year under Dixon.  I am not so sure Pulaski has the talent of the 80's and 90's.  Much of their issues the past 15 years have been coaching, but some of it, at least some of it....has been a talent fall off compared to where they once where.  They've taken a hit in their numbers compared to years past.  For Dixon, he certainly can and will adjust, but he will face an adjustment needed defensively.  He will see far, far more wide open offensive sets and first down passing attempts than he did at the 1A level.  I think he does well and takes Pulaski back to being very, very solid, but I'm not sure Pulaski is state title potential in talent like it once was.

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

I think Dixon will have PC doing very well, but a couple of things.  A sleeping giant talent wise at the 1A level may actually be Galax when compared to other 1A schools in Southwestern VA. I think it was Galax (kind of like we think of Pulaski now) who was one coach away from being a late playoff contender seemingly every year under Dixon.  I am not so sure Pulaski has the talent of the 80's and 90's.  Much of their issues the past 15 years have been coaching, but some of it, at least some of it....has been a talent fall off compared to where they once where.  They've taken a hit in their numbers compared to years past.  For Dixon, he certainly can and will adjust, but he will face an adjustment needed defensively.  He will see far, far more wide open offensive sets and first down passing attempts than he did at the 1A level.  I think he does well and takes Pulaski back to being very, very solid, but I'm not sure Pulaski is state title potential in talent like it once was.

It will be interesting to see how he transitions.  I think it's fair to point out, Galax has played Northside far tougher than anyone expected over the past five seasons.  And that was with a roster of fewer than 30 kids.  He won't be playing the "numbers game" like he had to at Galax.  I will say this, Dixon is as excited about what he has at Pulaski as i have ever seen him.  And the man isn't prone to hyperbole.  Take it for what it's worth!