Reflect

Hokie777

3 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

10 years from now will we look back at 2020 high school football in SWVA  and say we should have played like Northeast Tenn or will Northeast Tenn say we should have locked down like Va ?? Thoughts??

I think people will say we should have been like Northeast Tenn and went ahead and played. Cause Hokie777, I bet you got some SWVA football fans that are traveling over to Tn on Friday nights to watch some high school football. So TN has been playing football for what 2 weeks now and have there been any cases of the COVID19 from any of the players that are playing right now?

8 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

10 years from now will we look back at 2020 high school football in SWVA  and say we should have played like Northeast Tenn or will Northeast Tenn say we should have locked down like Va ?? Thoughts??

I dont think we will know that answer until after VA has played. If TN has some issues in the coming weeks and the season is canceled for everyone or a few schools and VA has a trouble free Spring then it looks like VA made the right decision. If TN goes through the season problem free and so does VA then its a wash. If VA has problems this Spring then there was absolutely no benefit. Were weeks into it but still early in the process overall. 

5 hours ago, Buffs_Baseball said:

I think people will say we should have been like Northeast Tenn and went ahead and played. Cause Hokie777, I bet you got some SWVA football fans that are traveling over to Tn on Friday nights to watch some high school football. So TN has been playing football for what 2 weeks now and have there been any cases of the COVID19 from any of the players that are playing right now?

Sullivan North shut down for a few weeks after an outbreak but that's the only hiccup I've heard about.

So far:

• Sullivan North has lost two games due to a positive case.  They are trying to reschedule Cosby later in the season since it is a region game and matters for playoff seedings.
  • Greeneville has lost two games.  One due to several positive cases on their own team and one because of a positive case to an opponent.  The opponent was a region game (Union County) so, they may try to reschedule that one.
  • All of Carter County (Cloudland, Unaka, Hampton, Happy Valley) lost week 1 games.  This may have been a precautionary measure however.
  • Sullivan South didn't play week 1 due to a positive case, but I think they found a replacement game and are still scheduled for 10 games.

23 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

So far:

• Sullivan North has lost two games due to a positive case.  They are trying to reschedule Cosby later in the season since it is a region game and matters for playoff seedings.
  • Greeneville has lost two games.  One due to several positive cases on their own team and one because of a positive case to an opponent.  The opponent was a region game (Union County) so, they may try to reschedule that one.
  • All of Carter County (Cloudland, Unaka, Hampton, Happy Valley) lost week 1 games.  This may have been a precautionary measure however.
  • Sullivan South didn't play week 1 due to a positive case, but I think they found a replacement game and are still scheduled for 10 games.

WV is in the same boat...

Bluefield and Princeton played last Friday night, but that will be their last game until Mercer Co.'s numbers drop...they have to come out of the WVDE's "orange" category... https://wvde.us/school-reentry-metrics-protocols/

15 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

Moving the season, if handled correctly, could be a blessing for teams like GC. Assuming the players have access to one, 6 extra months in the weight room could be a difference maker. 2020 should be the season of Hogs & square bodies; save the spread offenses for 2021. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:05 AM, swva_havok_fan said:

So far:

Add Tennessee High to the list. Game vs Halls High cancelled. 

11 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Add Tennessee High to the list. Game vs Halls High cancelled. 

It was Halls who had the positive cases though, not Tennessee High.  It seems to have affected schools more down that way.  Bearden didn't play the first two weeks, Clinton is currently in quarantine, Halls is now in quarantine.

I think there were 19 games in TN that fell to Covid-19 last week. So far here locally in Florida, we have 3 schools that have canceled/postponed their opening game this week. I bought online tickets for tonight to see Jensen Beach v Treasure Coast. 

10 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

It was Halls who had the positive cases though, not Tennessee High.  It seems to have affected schools more down that way.  Bearden didn't play the first two weeks, Clinton is currently in quarantine, Halls is now in quarantine.

I hadn’t seen the tweet. Someone at work said it was TN High. My apologies. 

On 9/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Grapeape said:

Moving the season, if handled correctly, could be a blessing for teams like GC. Assuming the players have access to one, 6 extra months in the weight room could be a difference maker. 2020 should be the season of Hogs & square bodies; save the spread offenses for 2021. 

6 extra months in the weight room is great for schools systems that are scared to death of this crap. For the school that are all virtual right now that means there hasnt been any weight room and there hasnt been any weight room since March 13th (besides the 3 weeks where VHSL gave a us a little hope only to say never mind). I worry that we might see a record high in injuries this year because of that. I hope I am wrong because I just want to play ball but we shall see

59 minutes ago, Grapeape said:

I use weight room as a euphemism for working out. We didn’t have that big fancy weight room when I went to GC; Rocky didn’t have weights in Russia. Find a way. 

Ive seen kids doing some creative things - flipping and carrying tires, body weight workouts,etc. Also seen some going old school in the hay field and chopping wood. There are ways to stay in shape and get strong, just have to want to but none of it completely replaces the weight room