Rumor-fall football

THS6805

I heard this from a couple of people.  But the meeting this Thursday has been scheduled for a while.  I believe it is to finalize the spring schedule.  I've heard the rumors that they may try to have football starting in October, but I don't think that will happen.

Seems to be strong sentiment within the VHSL Executive Committee to make sure that spring sports get to play this school year (otherwise they lose two consecutive cycles).  If there is any move to allow fall play, it's far more likely that they will shift spring sports to that time frame (and simultaneously eliminate the need to play into the end of June).

But I honestly don't think we'll see any changes at all in the schedule as proposed for 2020-2021.

From what I understand we are one of 14 states that are not allowing our kids to participate in fall sports at the current time, obviously that leaves 36 states who are playing RIGHT NOW. 

I just hope they don't rob the kids the chance for their senior season. Let the kids play!!

My youngest son will be a senior for Appomattox this year and i want to be able to watch him play his last year. 

7 hours ago, vols4life said:

Smyth co will start in class school on a rotation. 1 week in person next virtual.

And fall sports could start in oct. That's from a teacher🤷‍♂️

Read the VHSL statement above. Seems like they are planning on playing in the spring.  

I talked to Shawn Knight one of the assistants to director of athletics for VHSL. Talking about a waiste of time, giving him numbers of how the flu affected and infected our nations youth compared to COVID and the five times the deaths for H1N1 compared to COVID also. Then he would come back with well our schools aren’t full time. When I talked about WV and TN playing. No answer. Well anyway, they may play in spring but I wouldn’t bet that they will. The 34-1 by the way, the only vote to play was by state senator David Suetterlein. I have been bugging some executive committee members. You ought to do the same and ask questions.

16 hours ago, BoBob said:

From what I understand we are one of 14 states that are not allowing our kids to participate in fall sports at the current time, obviously that leaves 36 states who are playing RIGHT NOW. 

I just hope they don't rob the kids the chance for their senior season. Let the kids play!!

My youngest son will be a senior for Appomattox this year and i want to be able to watch him play his last year. 

It's more like 7 or 8 states, isn't it?  Some states have flipped.

1 hour ago, Single A west said:

I talked to Shawn Knight one of the assistants to director of athletics for VHSL. Talking about a waiste of time, giving him numbers of how the flu affected and infected our nations youth compared to COVID and the five times the deaths for H1N1 compared to COVID also. Then he would come back with well our schools aren’t full time. When I talked about WV and TN playing. No answer. Well anyway, they may play in spring but I wouldn’t bet that they will. The 34-1 by the way, the only vote to play was by state senator David Suetterlein. I have been bugging some executive committee members. You ought to do the same and ask questions.

i have also talked to the vhsl. they have no interest in following the science or data. this is a political game to them and they throw out blanket statements. they all need to go. not sure if they are appointed or voted into those positions.

50 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

i have also talked to the vhsl. they have no interest in following the science or data. this is a political game to them and they throw out blanket statements. they all need to go. not sure if they are appointed or voted into those positions.

Aren't the decision makers the principals on the executive committee, and not the staff members of the VHSL office?

Let's say all VHSL members were in 100% agreement for playing this fall, and let's say that all of them were very aggressive and nearly campaigning to play in public.  You do realize the Governor, with one quick stroke can say, "no play" and that's all it takes.  Therefore, FORGET about VHSL rumors, meetings, or what each of them personally feel or want to do, etc.  The governor loves politics and he will do his best to insert ANY possible negative light that he could shine on the opposing party. 

I pose an interesting question here...Would it be better to have football this fall and limit the stands to only parents or have in spring and allow (possibly limited) other fans in the stands???

All speculation and hypothetical situations there but still an interesting question I think

27 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

I pose an interesting question here...Would it be better to have football this fall and limit the stands to only parents or have in spring and allow (possibly limited) other fans in the stands???

All speculation and hypothetical situations there but still an interesting question I think

I think there's a better chance of having fans in the stands in spring.  

I also think that several athletic departments are going to have budget issues when their fields are destroyed by essentially playing back to back seasons.

3 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I think there's a better chance of having fans in the stands in spring.  

I also think that several athletic departments are going to have budget issues when their fields are destroyed by essentially playing back to back seasons.

But there won't be as many games as normal on it in the spring.  Still be terror on it but when the season is finished spring should help it recover pretty well hopefully.

7 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

But there won't be as many games as normal on it in the spring.  Still be terror on it but when the season is finished spring should help it recover pretty well hopefully.

For schools that play soccer that season is scheduled to run right up until the end of June.  My reference to back to back seasons implied more than just football (although I didn't say so -- mea culpa).  Assuming a quick turnaround to normal for 2021-2022, there isn't much time for recovery.

2 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

For schools that play soccer that season is scheduled to run right up until the end of June.  My reference to back to back seasons implied more than just football (although I didn't say so -- mea culpa).  Assuming a quick turnaround to normal for 2021-2022, there isn't much time for recovery.

Didn't think about that but you would be right about that

23 minutes ago, BoBob said:

I know our field with no spring sports is as nice as I have seen it.  

If we playing in Feb and then move right into soccer that field is going to get pounded. 

Our soccer and football coaches have actually collaborated about the possibility of using this situation to get artificial turf.  We think that's actually an attainable long term goal -- but it's unlikely that we could have it in place by February.