Wonder how many Tazewell fans are still angry about this game...

swva_havok_fan

https://heraldcourier.com/townnews/sport/prep-football-the-game-that-time-forgot-chilhowie-45-tazewell-43/article_274f3d0a-fe0c-11ea-8e89-57db255f0620.html

Very nice read... never really knew about this game, but sounds like Tazewell fans may have been trying to chase a ref or two down or maybe a Chilhowie clock operator perhaps after this one... 😄

I remember Tazewell fans on here being upset and a lot of buzz about it. That was during a time when from afar it seemed like the Hogoheegee was a high school version of the Big XII and everyone just worried about putting up points, some really high scores during that era. 

I'd still whoop who's ever ass was at fault. Guess you just had to be there. I will say this, IMO if that Tazewell team that year had any discipline they could have went on a deep playoff run!

Now that I think about it may have been the season after this one. It's when they started 5-0 maybe?

52 minutes ago, Bulldogs52 said:

I'd still whoop who's ever ass was at fault. Guess you just had to be there. I will say this, IMO if that Tazewell team that year had any discipline they could have went on a deep playoff run!

Now that I think about it may have been the season after this one. It's when they started 5-0 maybe?

It was the following year on that one.  That was the game where they started to get a little rhythm that they built on.

I had started walking towards the bottom of the stands so I could see from a very good angle that no part of him was out of bounds when he was tackled.  Granted the second team let the game almost be lost but still it was what it was at the end and we got majorly screwed on that one.  I have about three games in my mind that will always stick with me on the losing side and that is right there at the top.

2010 or 2011, can't remember which one, but the game against Poquoson was a fluke.  Richlands was a better team and just wouldn't let itself win with stupid holding calls that killed drives. It seemed like every drive for Richlands was starting out 1st and 20.  I think in the game with Poquoson, Richlands really did receive some of the worst calls I've ever seen for a state title game.  Literally every time Richlands started to move the ball, there was a hold, and when Richlands stopped them, there was a defensive hold.  It reminded me a little bit of Appomattox and Graham in which every time Graham made a big play or even scored, it was called back and a holding penalty would just destroy the drive, and the momentum just crushed.  Appo and Graham were about even, but Richlands in my opinion was much better than Poqouson, like 10-12 points better if the two played 10 times with normal officiating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

2010 or 2011, can't remember which one, but the game against Poquoson was a fluke.  Richlands was a better team and just wouldn't let itself win with stupid holding calls that killed drives. It seemed like every drive for Richlands was starting out 1st and 20.  I think in the game with Poquoson, Richlands really did receive some of the worst calls I've ever seen for a state title game.  Literally every time Richlands started to move the ball, there was a hold, and when Richlands stopped them, there was a defensive hold.  It reminded me a little bit of Appomattox and Graham in which every time Graham made a big play or even scored, it was called back and a holding penalty would just destroy the drive, and the momentum just crushed.  Appo and Graham were about even, but Richlands in my opinion was much better than Poqouson, like 10-12 points better if the two played 10 times with normal officiating.

I both agree and disagree.  I feel Richlands was a better team than Poquoson, actually, I feel they were better than every team they played in the state finals, with the exception of Monticello.  They were a phenomenal team that had a super high school coach (Brud Bicknell.)  In talking specifically about Poquoson, I think Richlands was beat before they got on the field.  IMO, they overlooked their opponent after taking Liberty to the woodshed in the semis (44-7.)  Poquoson set the tempo early and ran the ball through out the game.  All of their RB's ran like they were playing for a state title.  There were too many people (some coaches too I think) telling them how great they were after Liberty and that the semi-final was the de facto state title game.  The shame is that the 2010 rivaled the 2006 team in almost every aspect and were very comparable to that team.  I was at that game, there may have been some bad calls, but some of the calls, specifically in the fourth quarter, were good calls.

Interesting thought regarding Mance's legacy if he lost the 2006 game.  I didn't agree with him or his philosophy most of the time, but, I do wish him success at Loris.  I feel I need to clarify that first.  That being said, the 2006 team was at least 30 points better than Rockbridge County.  The decision to "contain" their QB, a kid named Mayo, almost bit Richlands in the ass.  Mayo was able to short scramble until receivers became open and hit them for big gains.  IMO, they played that game "not to loose" which is what I saw year after year.  The dramatic loss to Appomattox (3rd round in 2015) that spring boarded the Raiders program to multiple state championships was Mance's real last chance to win a title.  Appo was behind 21-7 with around 6 minutes left, they scored 14 points in regulation to beat Richlands 27-21 in OT.  I think that was Dennis Palmer's last year (I think.)  Most people in Richlands openly blasted the defense for that loss.  However, in my opinion, the defense was not responsible.  The offense had the ball on two occasions and could not garner any first downs.  They could not run the ball, giving Appo. time and field position.  Coach Smith gained the momentum and the rest is history.  To me, that loss, (App went on to win the next two games {state semi and state final} by the combined score of 99-12) along with the Poquoson loss in 2010, best represents the Richlands Football program during their impressive run as I feel that no Richlands team actually reached their full potential.  The one title Richlands earned, was won late, against an inferior opponent.  They did push a great Monticello team, which may have been one of their better state performances.  It seemed that Richlands struggled to win outside of our regional area, when they were the favorites.  They fared better as underdogs.  Just my thoughts.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:41 PM, vtdavis4321 said:

Penalties were a problem with Graham all year last year.  It hurt them badly in the state semis. As for that Richlands-Poquoson game,  Richlands couldnt get in rhythm because the ref kept standing over the ball until Poquoson got their defense set.  

1 hour ago, old_school_blue said:

I both agree and disagree.  I feel Richlands was a better team than Poquoson, actually, I feel they were better than every team they played in the state finals, with the exception of Monticello.  They were a phenomenal team that had a super high school coach (Brud Bicknell.)  In talking specifically about Poquoson, I think Richlands was beat before they got on the field.  IMO, they overlooked their opponent after taking Liberty to the woodshed in the semis (44-7.)  Poquoson set the tempo early and ran the ball through out the game.  All of their RB's ran like they were playing for a state title.  There were too many people (some coaches too I think) telling them how great they were after Liberty and that the semi-final was the de facto state title game.  The shame is that the 2010 rivaled the 2006 team in almost every aspect and were very comparable to that team.  I was at that game, there may have been some bad calls, but some of the calls, specifically in the fourth quarter, were good calls.

Brookville.  Not Liberty.

RHS beat Liberty in 2005 semifinals by three before losing the title game against Turner Ashby.  That's the only matchup between the Blues and the Minutemen to date.

39 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Brookville.  Not Liberty.

RHS beat Liberty in 2005 semifinals by three before losing the title game against Turner Ashby.  That's the only matchup between the Blues and the Minutemen to date.

My bad, you are right.  I had Liberty on my mind for some reason.