Presidential trainwre... I mean debate

redtiger

Was anything valuable learned last night?

All I saw was Trump is petty and overly aggressive in those situations(knew that already, thats his chosen approach), and Biden looked old and almost frail at times. Both looked ridiculous imo.

I would very much like to see Jo Jorgensen get a broader platform but idk that Id want to see her drug into that mess 

I really want to vote for Jo Jorgensen, but I can't get past the fact that her running mate is a blithering idiot who can't be taken seriously.  Actually thought about contacting her and the national chair of the Libertarian Party (assuming there is such a position) and saying so.

I've always said that we ultimately get the government we deserve in America.  But it never occurred to me that our system could produce a choice as bad as the one before us.

This so called debate idea will never give us answers to our questions. It is nothing what I learned about debate in speech class. It is just an insult contest. We need to have someone neutral sit down with each candidate SEPARATELY. Ask the pertinent questions. Let them answer but also MAKE THEM ANSWER. Tape the interviews. Play them back to the public. Tape them so one candidate doesn't know how the other answered. 

It's as if Trump and Biden were competing to see who could do the absolute worst in a debate setting.  Trump's strategy should have been to let Biden ramble on and allow his obvious fatigue and ever-increasing mental incompetency to show.  Biden's strategy should have been to remain cool and collected; say as little as possible; and bait Trump with the softballs Matthews was giving him.  What happened instead was a disgraceful, disgusting display by two men who are unfit for the Presidency.

22 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

I really want to vote for Jo Jorgensen, but I can't get past the fact that her running mate is a blithering idiot who can't be taken seriously. 

Shes getting my vote, but I REALLY dislike Cohen. 

2 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It's as if Trump and Biden were competing to see who could do the absolute worst in a debate setting.  Trump's strategy should have been to let Biden ramble on and allow his obvious fatigue and ever-increasing mental incompetency to show.  Biden's strategy should have been to remain cool and collected; say as little as possible; and bait Trump with the softballs Matthews was giving him.  What happened instead was a disgraceful, disgusting display by two men who are unfit for the Presidency.

The strategy since '16 should have been "shut up and let the other fool mess up" but Clinton, Trump, nor Biden has figured that out apparently. 

24 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Hard to disagree...unfortunately we have to choose between the two. 

11 minutes ago, blueinbama said:

Hard to disagree...unfortunately we have to choose between the two. 

you don't have to, you choose to. My candidate isn't going to win, I've accepted that. For me personally I cant sign off on a candidate that I don't believe will do a good job and represent this country well

1 minute ago, redtiger said:

you don't have to, you choose to. My candidate isn't going to win, I've accepted that. For me personally I cant sign off on a candidate that I don't believe will do a good job and represent this country well

True, but I refuse to just throw away my vote on someone who has no chance to win. 

Is it better to back a winner or vote for someone you believe in? Voting for bad candidates is what has gotten us to this point.

For me, im voting for what I believe in, not who I think can win. Maybe im throwing it away, idk but I felt like I wasted my vote in '12 when I voted for someone I didn't believe in, voted for Johnson in '16 and didn't feel that way. 

Until a 3rd party gets a significant number of votes (double digit percentage) I dont think either party will adjust their current courses - running whoever they want and adopting platforms that are not representative of the majority of US voters.  

On 9/30/2020 at 10:21 AM, UVAObserver said:

For the first time in my life, I am eligible for that office.  I will most likely vote for myself.

16 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

That was my process in 2016.

Just curious about something, 1inStripes.  Did you win in 2016?