The whacky WV football playoffs...

GMan

32 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

This sounds like an absolute mess, if VA even attempts to play, I'm not sure you can say they were wrong bc WV seems to be a complete clusterf*ck.

Agree.... VA tried to give them the best chance to play at the time IMO but everyone bashed the governor for doing it.... WV is indeed a clusterf*ck

Give WV credit.  They tried and didn't cancel the season.  If you were going to play football in the fall, you were going to have a clusterf.  With Covid 19, that was a given.  WV has done their best to meet the challenges of an ever changing virus that drops off, comes back, takes a rest, then returns hard, etc.  Many fans would choose clusterf over no football at all.  WV knew what it was doing.  They knew the virus would cause issues and ebbs and flows, and that they would literally, by the week, have to make adjustments.  I don't think they've done a bad job.  I give em credit for trying.  By the way, if you are a Bluefield Beaver, this season isn't a clusterf at all, lol.  It's an opportunity for another state title, and the Beavers might just pull it off.  

I will always choose effort over simply throwing in the towel and just bailing out.  Most would probably say that WV really messed this thing up and it wasn't pretty and they kind of failed.  OK, that's fine.  I still applaud the effort to give a go any day. 

1 hour ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Give WV credit.  They tried and didn't cancel the season.  If you were going to play football in the fall, you were going to have a clusterf.  With Covid 19, that was a given.  WV has done their best to meet the challenges of an ever changing virus that drops off, comes back, takes a rest, then returns hard, etc.  Many fans would choose clusterf over no football at all.  WV knew what it was doing.  They knew the virus would cause issues and ebbs and flows, and that they would literally, by the week, have to make adjustments.  I don't think they've done a bad job.  I give em credit for trying.  By the way, if you are a Bluefield Beaver, this season isn't a clusterf at all, lol.  It's an opportunity for another state title, and the Beavers might just pull it off.  

I will always choose effort over simply throwing in the towel and just bailing out.  Most would probably say that WV really messed this thing up and it wasn't pretty and they kind of failed.  OK, that's fine.  I still applaud the effort to give a go any day. 

But as of right now, VA is still gonna try for a season too. If things get under better control, then hopefully VA can have a season and hopefully a more consistent playoff process. At this point who knows.

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Well for the most part Tennessee has had a rousing success to go ahead with their season and are only two weeks from completing it.

I don't know if rousing success would be the right word, having playoff games called off minutes before kickoff is a pretty big snafu. 

If VA could have a season with no playoff games cancelled, it would be a rousing success. Tennessee has had pretty good luck but they've also had their fair share of issues. 

7 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I don't know if rousing success would be the right word, having playoff games called off minutes before kickoff is a pretty big snafu. 

If VA could have a season with no playoff games cancelled, it would be a rousing success. Tennessee has had pretty good luck but they've also had their fair share of issues. 

I will be very surprised VA wont have cancelled games in both the regular season and playoffs at this point.

Many made an assumption, that when VA cancelled the season in the fall and moved it to spring, then automatically, it will be good to go other than playing in the cold.  There were some out there who warned about this governor and clearly made the statement that.........assuming Virginia plays in the spring is a done deal is a dangerous assumption and there is no guarantee.  I think that still holds true.  I think it's 50/50 that Virginia has a season in the spring.  And if that happens, WV all of a sudden looks pretty good and the decision not to transfer out of Virginia in assuming the spring was automatic is going to be chalked up to a year of missed football.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

But those things are going to happen.  We knew they would with Covid.  I guess we just accept it.  The virus hits when it wants to hit.  TN and WV have made adjustments on the fly, even if 5 minutes before kickoff.  We knew there would be cancellations and things and this is more due to Covid 19, not the people running the state athletics organizations.  I applaud them, they have tried to drive on with a season and they have put there foot down to keep the public safe, even if 5 minutes before kickoff.  It's not an easy juggling act, but it's just that, it's a juggling act.

8 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

But those things are going to happen.  We knew they would with Covid.  I guess we just accept it.  The virus hits when it wants to hit.  TN and WV have made adjustments on the fly, even if 5 minutes before kickoff.  We knew there would be cancellations and things and this is more due to Covid 19, not the people running the state athletics organizations.  I applaud them, they have tried to drive on with a season and they have put there foot down to keep the public safe, even if 5 minutes before kickoff.  It's not an easy juggling act, but it's just that, it's a juggling act.

But my point was, decisions prob shouldn't be made that close to a kickoff. Information needs to be shared quicker and situations like what happened with DB should hopefully be avoided. I'm okay with a playoff cancellation if it has to happen, but I can't imagine the information wasn't relayed until five mins before kickoff or whatever it was. 

It seems like WV doesn't have uniform rules for everyone and it has led to a lot of confusion. I would hope VA has a more uniform proposal for everything so everyone is aware where they stand. 

But it's November now. Hopefully, by Feb, the state's will have quicker testing reliability and a better grasp on things. All I'm saying is VAs decision was widely panned by most But in reality , the extra time may prove to be a godsend if VA has fewer issues and can get enough games played.

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Union should be good to go by February seems like half the county cases are in Appalachia and big stone.

Unfortunately, most seem to be at Heritage Hall and other places where the elderly are gathered. I think a big reason is testing, it's more widespread than we realize but the elderly are getting tested at a much higher rate than the public. It's been bad at the retirement home, man they really need to get a handle on this, this area has so many vulnerable people and we get the shit end of the stick on medical care anyway.

7 hours ago, redtiger said:

@BigWinners

I think ultimately VA will see just as many issues as WV/TN even with the delay, its not gonna be cleared up. Hopefully we will learn from their mistakes and handle those issues better.

I'm  afraid you're right and VA will have just as many issues but hopefully VA can use whatever advances we have medically between now and start of season and like you said handle the issues that come up a little better 

On 11/23/2020 at 12:18 AM, BigWinners said:

D-B and McMinn both were willing to play the game, much to the disagreement the pieces of trash at McMinn would have you believe...

It was the Sullivan County Health Department that pulled the plug.

Back in WV...

Two AAA teams (Bridgeport & South Charleston) could advance to the State Title game without playing in the Semifinals this week, both Cabell Midlalnd and Musselman will rely upon the outcome of the Covid Map to see if they will be able to play on Sunday.

In AA, Oak Glen finds itself in the same position as Cabell Midland and Musselmant.

In A, there is only on Semifinal game this weekend as Ritchie Co. has advanced to the Title game by beating Greenbrier West last weekend in the quarterfinals.

1 hour ago, GMan said:

Back in WV...

Two AAA teams (Bridgeport & South Charleston) could advance to the State Title game without playing in the Semifinals this week, both Cabell Midlalnd and Musselman will rely upon the outcome of the Covid Map to see if they will be able to play on Sunday.

In AA, Oak Glen finds itself in the same position as Cabell Midland and Musselmant.

In A, there is only on Semifinal game this weekend as Ritchie Co. has advanced to the Title game by beating Greenbrier West last weekend in the quarterfinals.

Wow, that's a big deal for Oak Glen.  I've been researching them some the past few days and it looks like they are actually good enough to win a state title.  Not saying they would or will, but from what I've read, looking at their scores, talking to officials who have had them, they are very, very good and good enough to beat any of the 3 remaining teams including Bluefield and Fairmont.  If Oak Glen doesn't play in the semi's, the Bluefield and Fairmont winner may have got a gift.  CalPreps has Oak Glen by 11 over R.C. Byrd.   I know a few people down this way have penciled in Bluefield or Fairmont as the state champs, but I'm telling ya guys, Oak Glen is just as good or better this year than Bluefield or Fairmont.

Bluefield is not as explosive as the last few years and they throw the ball too much in my opinion. I bet Fairmont blitzes a ton and and scores early. If that happens Bluefield struggles playing from behind and they'll have a lot of trouble picking up the blitz.  I believe Fairmont wins 34-15. I hope I'm wrong

Call me selfish but I’d take messy playoffs, a few cancellations, etc. over no football at all. Good for WV & TN for getting in some HS football albeit not perfect scenarios. I juat hope VA teams get to play. I still have nothing good to say about Ralphie in general. 😂 actually most politicians in general.

I disagree but that's just me...just looks like way much trouble especially for coaches and AD's....but it is what it is....not a huge Ralphie fan but I think he did right thing at the time...well him and haun...to at least give a chance to play as normal...don't look like that's the case now but at the time it seemed right at least to me