Give me your opinion on rowdiness.

BoBob

So, I'm staving for some football talk and being we are still on the back burner for a couple months I thought I try to strike up some reading.  Looking for some input from some of you south western folks.

Question:

If your been over to Appomattox to play the Raiders (Giles, Glenvar, Richlands, Union, Graham, or anyone else) how does the fans and the game atmosphere we have compared to y'alls? 

I know when we went to Union to play at the Park in 2017 it was an electric atmosphere.  Now in saying that I know there was a lot of SWVA schools there to see the Raiders fall, so I'm guess it was amped up over normal.  I thought for the 4.5 hour drive that our school brought a good and loud crowd to that game that didn't exactly give the Bears "total" home field advantage.

Anyway, rate what the trips to Appo have been like or share one of your favorite places to play.

Looking for some reading.  LOL!

P.S.  Keep praying our boys get to play this year!

I thought Appomattox was awful...oh that's probably cause y'all spanked our ass everytime we came there lol...I preferred the matchup we had in pearisburg in 2013 a lot better lol

But the atmosphere to me was outstanding...about the same as the atmosphere at Giles home games when we were good...especially the playoff games...rowdy fans and great football

Nothing to me compares to Graham-Bluefield.  However, the atmosphere at Appomattox last year was a great experience.  Going to Union and Giles is always a nerve-racking experience for the opponents.  The tradition that Appomattox has started over there is a little intimidating.  Very fun to be a part of.  Graham-Bluefield took a hit when the powers that be ruined the tail-gating experience.  Would literally have a couple thousand folks in the parking lot pre-game tail-gating, playing corn hole, etc.  .  Even so, nothing like 10,000 to 12,000 bitter enemies who go back to being friends after the game is over.

Never seen Union play at the Park, but I saw P. Valley play GC there and I saw Appy once at Riggs.  Both of those places were rowdy and just an incredible experience and surely intimidating for the visiting team.  Same goes with GC when they were good, Legion had a very rowdy and loud fan base and it was tricky because the GC fans sets throughout the stadium/both sides back then.  Don't know if they still do.

I remember one time in the mid 80s when Giles ran an upside down pineapple up our arses (Graham) over there in the playoffs.  Giles was always an incredible experience and very intimidating for the visiting team.  Tazewell in the 80s when they had those great teams was right up there with all of them also.  Last of all is the Bluefield Beavers.  So many times, it just feels like the visiting teams from central or northern WV when they would play in the playoffs knows its in trouble when the Beavers come on the field.  It just feels like an atmosphere of fear for the opponents.

Union is the rowdiest home fan base I’ve ever witnessed. That dang train horn 😂😂😂😂. The atmosphere for Graham/Beaver game is unsurpassed! Thousands at a HS football game in SWVA/Southern WV is amazing! Ain’t nobody getting rowdy if King Ralph doesn’t lift his 25 person mandate! That’s not even enough for every player on home team to have one parent. He’s ruined sports for our kids! 

10 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Union is the rowdiest home fan base I’ve ever witnessed. That dang train horn 😂😂😂😂. The atmosphere for Graham/Beaver game is unsurpassed! Thousands at a HS football game in SWVA/Southern WV is amazing! Ain’t nobody getting rowdy if King Ralph doesn’t lift his 25 person mandate! That’s not even enough for every player on home team to have one parent. He’s ruined sports for our kids! 

I think it should be based on the capacity of the venue.  It is ridiculous to throw out a number like that.  Also, since Graham plays their home football games in West Virginia, will the same rules apply?

59 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

if King Ralph doesn’t lift his 25 person mandate! That’s not even enough for every player on home team to have one parent. He’s ruined sports for our kids! 

He absolutely has ruined it for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If we are not allowed in I help paint the field for the games and I believe I can get on the chain crew if needed.

48 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I think it should be based on the capacity of the venue.  It is ridiculous to throw out a number like that.  Also, since Graham plays their home football games in West Virginia, will the same rules apply?

Exactly.  Never been to Grahams stadium but in seeing pictures there is no reason the "25" is the same as put 25 in Appomattox's stadium.  

I'm sure the VHSL will try to make it so they can keep Ralphy happy and say "since it's a VHSL event....."

The year that UNION went to  APPO, it was cold as blue blazes, we had our butts kicked, thats all I remember, your crowd was loud , but they had alot on thier mind ,as that morning they had lost a student athlete....later that SAT/SUNDAY night our cheerleaders mother was murdered. The APPO community honored her the next week with a FLAG at half staff, very classy.I will say this ,your coach,community and team have much to be proud of and our prayers for coach SMITH will continue until he recovers.ROWDY maybe not , but CLASSY -YES

Rowdiest places I was playing were Union, Giles and Gate City. A game I wish I could have been at to witness would have been Grundy and Hurley when they both met as undefeateds at the Cliff in 2016. I bet that was rowdy

Great VA atmospheres in no particular order past and present...

* Bullitt Park (PV & Union)

* Riggs Stadium (Appy)

* 5 Star (Lee)

* Legion (GC)

* Lawson-Fitchco (JIB)

* Ralph Cummins (Clintwood)

* Richlands

* Graham

* Lebanon

* Appomattox

* Giles

* Radford

* Parry McClure

* Hurley 

* Honaker

* Carroll Dale (JJK)

Out of state....

* Anderson Co (TN) Probably the best pregame entrance I've seen.

* Greeneville

* Dobyns-Bennett

* Knox Fulton (TN) Players enter through the aisles in the stands.

* Alcoa (TN)

* Elizabethton (TN)

* Maryville (TN)

* Kingston (TN)

* Gatlinburg-Pittman (TN)

* Belfry (KY)

* Bell Co (KY)

* Dorman (SC)

* Byrnes (SC)

* Valdosta (GA)

* Camden Co (GA)

* Vero Beach (FL) Best atmosphere we've found in Florida so far.

* Cocoa (FL)

16 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

The year that UNION went to  APPO, it was cold as blue blazes, we had our butts kicked, thats all I remember, your crowd was loud , but they had alot on thier mind ,as that morning they had lost a student athlete....later that SAT/SUNDAY night our cheerleaders mother was murdered. The APPO community honored her the next week with a FLAG at half staff, very classy.I will say this ,your coach,community and team have much to be proud of and our prayers for coach SMITH will continue until he recovers.ROWDY maybe not , but CLASSY -YES

Yea, that student was a in my classroom during his fourth grade year. It was rough for a lot of those boys and I distinctly remember us having a moment of silence  for your communities loss. 

Coach appreciates the prayers!!!!

BoBob, I sure do hope your coach (Doug Smith) is ok.  Lots of prayers been coming this way for that dude.  He's a special coach, but more important, a special person.  You guys, like any community would be, are very fortunate to have him.  Literally, the man is a game changer and a world changer for so many kids both on and off the field.

21 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

BoBob, I sure do hope your coach (Doug Smith) is ok.  Lots of prayers been coming this way for that dude.  He's a special coach, but more important, a special person.  You guys, like any community would be, are very fortunate to have him.  Literally, the man is a game changer and a world changer for so many kids both on and off the field.

You are EXACTLY right.  He is the difference for a lot of kids and is the only positive contact in their lives. 

Appreciate the kind words.  

If any of you guys are on Facebook there is a page for Coach.

Prayers for Coach Doug Smith   (in fact there is a "favorite memory of coach post  that you could post in---he loves to hear from other schools to)  We are all in this life together. 

He gets to read all of these or has them read to him and loves to hear from folks.  He's commented many times that he and his family can feel the prayers.  Maybe just jot a comment down on their about the game we played.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PO1   

Something about Bullitt Park that is just different when you walk through those gates around playoff time. It really is one of the best atmospheres I have been in. Watching a game there honestly feel like you are watching the most important game in the state. Coaching there feels like you are down 2 scores from the get go. I love it and hate is all at the same time. 

Gate City has best turn out I have ever seen for a small school. When you are walking out on the field for pregame and you look behind your own sideline and see nothing but blue.. that really makes you feel like you are in for a dog fight.

Mitchell Stadium fells like you are playing at a college game but its so big I have a hard time believing it would be packed unless they are playing Richlands or Graham

Honorable Mention for goes to Chilhowie. When they are good that is a very hostile environment 

We watched Treasure Coast vs Orlando Olympia last night in the 2nd round of the Class 8A playoffs. They had to move the game from Treasure Coast's stadium to here in The Fort due to a water main break. There were maybe 400 people there. Undefeated TC had a running clock in the 2nd half on the way to a 49-8 win. Not much of an atmosphere, but there's a lot to be said about watching late November playoff football in a t-shirt, shorts and sandals in 74 degree weather. 

Salem is rowdy. Whether you move or hate them, they have a great source of support. Pulaski County has a rowdy bunch. 

Patrick Henry (Roanoke) has a rambunctious student section. PH in Roanoke has a classy crowd too. 

Giles has a great and rowdy crowd. 

Gate City’s crowd is usually loyal and vocal. 

On 11/20/2020 at 2:42 PM, Jags52 said:

Honorable Mention for goes to Chilhowie. When they are good that is a very hostile environment 

Always check out the goal post in the west end zone.  Seems like every game I worked there they were swaying like crazy.  Almost like they were anchored into an active fault line.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

First when were you at TS?  Second, I cant ever think of cows being near their field in all my trips there.

Gah it was like 2000? I'm not sure if I was even in HS yet. We went up there and played either 7th & 8th or JV, and that field was open at the end and there were cows down in a pasture.  Can't I use dramatic license for an amusing anecdote Stripes? You're killin me. It was not a real threat, they were a ways away, but it was still a (very, very unlikely) possibility. Way to ruin the story. 

On 11/24/2020 at 1:20 AM, BigWinners said:

Gah it was like 2000? I'm not sure if I was even in HS yet. We went up there and played either 7th & 8th or JV, and that field was open at the end and there were cows down in a pasture.  Can't I use dramatic license for an amusing anecdote Stripes? You're killin me. It was not a real threat, they were a ways away, but it was still a (very, very unlikely) possibility. Way to ruin the story. 

In all the times I have been to TS, and its been a lot, I cant think of ever seeing cows in sight of the field was why I said it.  At the Cove, now one year we had to practice around scooped up cow patties that wasnt from a bingo, but due to a fence issue with the neighbors.  Even had some break into practice a time or two.