What would have been

BoBob

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

4 teams per region, then state semis and state finals. (unless all hell breaks loose)

Teams not making the playoffs have the option of a "plus one" game.  Meaning they can play a 7th game if they can get one scheduled once the playoffs begin.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

4 teams per region, then state semis and state finals. (unless all hell breaks loose)

Teams not making the playoffs have the option of a "plus one" game.  Meaning they can play a 7th game if they can get one scheduled once the playoffs begin.

So, just to confirm that is a possibility of 4 playoff games if you reach the championship game?

Am I reading that right?

What's everyone's thoughts on who makes it?

Out of the east I'm not too familiar with teams but I know Buckingham should be loaded and Draft should be good again,

Region D

I'm hearing Wise should be good but I know you can't count Graham out of the running (they should be talented)

Region C

Appomattox should be fine if they can fill some spots along the line.  Radford, and Glenvar I think should be right in it as well.

2 hours ago, BoBob said:

Out of the east I'm not too familiar with teams but I know Buckingham should be loaded and Draft should be good again,

Region D

I'm hearing Wise should be good but I know you can't count Graham out of the running (they should be talented)

Region C

Appomattox should be fine if they can fill some spots along the line.  Radford, and Glenvar I think should be right in it as well.

An M7 team that doesn’t deserve it will make it, and a SWD team that deserves it will be left home.  In any other year, the Top 4 in the Region D Playoffs would be some combination of Central, Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands.  Those 4 are a clear notch above than the rest of the region.  However, I anticipate the region will take their Top 2 and cross-bracket them. 

I think Central is a shoe-in out of M7.  For the 2nd slot, you could select either of Union and Ridgeview and make a case for them.  I think Ridgeview is better by a nose, but it’s debatable.  

In the SWD, you can make a case for any of the Tazewell County schools.  Graham has talented skill players, but lost a massive amount of seniors, especially on the lines.  Tazewell on paper is the deepest and most experienced, but can they overcome the lopsided histories with Graham and Richlands?  Richlands has very strong lines but have taken a hit at skill positions with graduation.  

3 hours ago, BoBob said:

Region D

Region C

Don't know much about the others, but I look for Graham to be better than expected in D.  I think it will come down to them, Tazewell and Wise Central.  I look for Xay Bradshaw to have a tremendous year.  He should be something to see this year.  Tazewell will have several talented athletes at their disposal, but they have been bitten hard by the injury bug the past couple of years.  If they stay healthy, they could pull it out in D as well.  Central is well - rounded, hard nosed and talented.  Should be an interesting year, can't wait to see how it plays out.  Appo in C should be good again, they lost a few key pieces, but return the QB and that one receiver who I would compare to Bradshaw at the receiver position.  For Graham, Bradshaw will need to get more touches out of hte backfield and get the ball in his hands as much as possible.  With a big offensive line in front of him this season, he will be hard to stop.  Graham added a solid O-lineman from Mt. View who transferred over last year after the season and volunteer coach Yubrenal Isabelle is an outstanding asset to the staff.

48 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Don't know much about the others, but I look for Graham to be better than expected in D.  I think it will come down to them, Tazewell and Wise Central.  I look for Xay Bradshaw to have a tremendous year.  He should be something to see this year.  Tazewell will have several talented athletes at their disposal, but they have been bitten hard by the injury bug the past couple of years.  If they stay healthy, they could pull it out in D as well.  Central is well - rounded, hard nosed and talented.  Should be an interesting year, can't wait to see how it plays out.  Appo in C should be good again, they lost a few key pieces, but return the QB and that one receiver who I would compare to Bradshaw at the receiver position.  For Graham, Bradshaw will need to get more touches out of hte backfield and get the ball in his hands as much as possible.  With a big offensive line in front of him this season, he will be hard to stop.  Graham added a solid O-lineman from Mt. View who transferred over last year after the season and volunteer coach Yubrenal Isabelle is an outstanding asset to the staff.

If Doug Smith is unable to coach at Appo, I think it's a monumental loss for them.  Appo's talent is incredible and I'm certain Smith's leadership has had the assistants more than prepared enough to take over (if Doug Smith is unable to coach), but it is still a huge loss in the area of x's and o's.  He sees stuff his fellow coaching peers don't see.  Tazewell is going to be really really good this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Dogs came out of the Region over Central, Graham, Richlands, Union, and Ridgeview.  In the East, Stuarts Draft will be a problem for anyone with what they supposedly return.  

6 hours ago, vtdavis4321 said:

If Doug Smith is unable to coach at Appo, I think it's a monumental loss for them.  Appo's talent is incredible and I'm certain Smith's leadership has had the assistants more than prepared enough to take over (if Doug Smith is unable to coach), but it is still a huge loss in the area of x's and o's.  He sees stuff his fellow coaching peers don't see.  Tazewell is going to be really really good this year, and it wouldn't surprise me if the Dogs came out of the Region over Central, Graham, Richlands, Union, and Ridgeview.  In the East, Stuarts Draft will be a problem for anyone with what they supposedly return.  

I have high hopes for the Dogs too, but they have Riverheads right out of the gate.  That game could make or break their season.  A close game will be a big confidence boost.  A big loss, will be detrimental in such a short season with Graham and Richlands looming on the schedule.  Tazewell is coming into the season with some confidence and finally a healthy team. It is a big risk to have the likes of Riverheads to open up the season.  But with a big risk, comes a big reward.

Graham plays Richlands twice.  One of those teams could get knocked out of the playoffs by the other.  Graham has added some excellent coaches the past 3 or 4 years with Dennis Palmer, now Ronnie Duncan and Yubrenal Isabelle.  Tony Palmer is a great head coach who the kids respect and gets the most from his players.  He has surrounded himself with a very good coaching staff.  With Bradshaw, Meadows, Blevins, etc... I think Graham out-talents and out-physicals Richlands again this season and makes the playoffs.  Tazewell will need to beat one or both of those 2 to get in.  It will be hard for a 4-2 team to make the playoffs, regardless of who it is.  It would be nice if 2 of the 3 of Graham, Tazewell and Richlands would make the playoffs, but there may be only one of those 3 make it.  Wouldn't surprise me if they all finish 4-2.

I know it's crazy to make a prediction but I think Tazewell Co. ends this way.

Graham 5-1

Tazewell 4-2

Richlands 4-2

Graham beats Richlands twice 

Tazewell beats Graham. (something to prove)

Riverheads beats Tazewell.

Richlands beats Tazewell (in their head)

Graham is County champs with a 2-1 record

Richlands and Tazewell finish 1-1.

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

An M7 team that doesn’t deserve it will make it, and a SWD team that deserves it will be left home.  In any other year, the Top 4 in the Region D Playoffs would be some combination of Central, Graham, Tazewell, and Richlands.  Those 4 are a clear notch above than the rest of the region.  However, I anticipate the region will take their Top 2 and cross-bracket them. 

I think Central is a shoe-in out of M7.  For the 2nd slot, you could select either of Union and Ridgeview and make a case for them.  I think Ridgeview is better by a nose, but it’s debatable.  

In the SWD, you can make a case for any of the Tazewell County schools.  Graham has talented skill players, but lost a massive amount of seniors, especially on the lines.  Tazewell on paper is the deepest and most experienced, but can they overcome the lopsided histories with Graham and Richlands?  Richlands has very strong lines but have taken a hit at skill positions with graduation.  

What M7 won't deserve it? Why would Union or RV be less.deserving than Tazwell or Richlands?

The GMen have to be tough to pick against, if you consider they have 2 major D1/FBS power 5 kids. At the 2A level with small enrollments and numbers, the odds are this team will be very tough to beat. 

Having just one D1/FBS kid makes a big difference (Ridgeview). Having 2 can make a monumental difference.

9 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I have high hopes for the Dogs too, but they have Riverheads right out of the gate.  That game could make or break their season.  A close game will be a big confidence boost.  A big loss, will be detrimental in such a short season with Graham and Richlands looming on the schedule.  Tazewell is coming into the season with some confidence and finally a healthy team. It is a big risk to have the likes of Riverheads to open up the season.  But with a big risk, comes a big reward.

Graham plays Richlands twice.  One of those teams could get knocked out of the playoffs by the other.  Graham has added some excellent coaches the past 3 or 4 years with Dennis Palmer, now Ronnie Duncan and Yubrenal Isabelle.  Tony Palmer is a great head coach who the kids respect and gets the most from his players.  He has surrounded himself with a very good coaching staff.  With Bradshaw, Meadows, Blevins, etc... I think Graham out-talents and out-physicals Richlands again this season and makes the playoffs.  Tazewell will need to beat one or both of those 2 to get in.  It will be hard for a 4-2 team to make the playoffs, regardless of who it is.  It would be nice if 2 of the 3 of Graham, Tazewell and Richlands would make the playoffs, but there may be only one of those 3 make it.  Wouldn't surprise me if they all finish 4-2.

I know it's crazy to make a prediction but I think Tazewell Co. ends this way.

Graham 5-1

Tazewell 4-2

Richlands 4-2

Graham beats Richlands twice 

Tazewell beats Graham. (something to prove)

Riverheads beats Tazewell.

Richlands beats Tazewell (in their head)

Graham is County champs with a 2-1 record

Richlands and Tazewell finish 1-1.

This is the nightmare situation in terms of selecting teams for the postseason.  

Technically, the first of the two Graham/Richlands matchups doesn’t count toward the SWD standings.  If the region selects the cross-bracket model, it’ll be district standings that determine who advances.  In that scenario, the Top 3 teams are 1-1 against each other.  How do you break the tie to determine the Top 2?  If you went by VHSL Ratings Points, that’s also dead even for the #2 slot (Losses to 6-0 and 4-2 = Losses to 5-1 and 5-1).  

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

This is the nightmare situation in terms of selecting teams for the postseason.  

Technically, the first of the two Graham/Richlands matchups doesn’t count toward the SWD standings.  If the region selects the cross-bracket model, it’ll be district standings that determine who advances.  In that scenario, the Top 3 teams are 1-1 against each other.  How do you break the tie to determine the Top 2?  If you went by VHSL Ratings Points, that’s also dead even for the #2 slot (Losses to 6-0 and 4-2 = Losses to 5-1 and 5-1).  

Potato sack races in an abandoned Magic Mart. 

19 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

It’s OK to be wrong sometimes.  Very rarely, I am.  I’m not here, though.

What has either team shown to say they're better? Tazwell is always hyped but never seems to liven up to it. RV will have best player on field between the three teams and I'll take that. We will see. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

What has either team shown to say they're better? Tazwell is always hyped but never seems to liven up to it. RV will have best player on field between the three teams and I'll take that. We will see. 

Ridgeview will have the 3rd best player between those 3 teams, maybe the 4th.  No, I'm not joking.  They haven't cornered the market on D -1 talent in this area.

5 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Ridgeview will have the 3rd best player between those 3 teams, maybe the 4th.  No, I'm not joking.  They haven't cornered the market on D -1 talent in this area.

No, they won't. That's simply not true. Tell me what two THS or RHS players better than Adkins. You can't because they don't exist.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

No, they won't. That's simply not true. Tell me what two THS or RHS players better than Adkins. You can't because they don't exist.

I think Josiah Jordan is more well rounded in terms of defense/offense.  I think Cassius Harris, Mike Jones, and Sage Webb are faster.  I think Chancellor Harris is a better pure running back in terms of power/agility.  Having seen the Ridgeview/Tazewell scrimmage last season...yes, Ridgeview has Adkins.  He’s certainly got the D1 measurables.  But there’s a reason that scrimmage was even...

14 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

There’s a reason the TC Warhawks were blowing the doors off everyone in the 7-on-7 circuit this year...

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

I think Josiah Jordan is more well rounded in terms of defense/offense.  I think Cassius Harris, Mike Jones, and Sage Webb are faster.  I think Chancellor Harris is a better pure running back in terms of power/agility.  Having seen the Ridgeview/Tazewell scrimmage last season...yes, Ridgeview has Adkins.  He’s certainly got the D1 measurables.  But there’s a reason that scrimmage was even...

Chancellor Harris is nowhere close to the level of Adkins as a RB.  From balance to vision to strength, and again, vision and natural instinct to find the hole, Adkins is on a completely different level.  If he were on the same level, Harris would have had P5 offers just like Adkins, yet he doesn't; therefore, the recruiters feel Adkins is far and away a better RB.  That's not to say Harris isn't a stud because he is, but he's not an Adkins.  There's a difference.  I agree on Jordan.  He imo is equally as valuable as a High School Player as Adkins because of his prowess on both sides of the football.