Admin appearently not liking how the coach runs things in Grayson Co.

SW_VA_boy

https://roanoke.com/sports/local/grayson-county-opts-not-to-retain-mcpherson-as-football-coach-for-2021-fall-season-but/article_c4189c70-43c2-11eb-8cb0-abb548955f7c.html#tracking-source=home-trending

Sounds like he has some higher ups that don't like him or how he's done things or didn't give their kid enough playing time or something like that.  Whole thing reads out like it's shady as hell.  

If it is playing out as portrayed in the article, I know there is another side to this story that isn't going to make it out in public, that's a rough way to treat the best coach Grayson's had maybe ever.  

Grayson County as a whole is a "house divided" right now.  They have the long-time residents who can trace their families back for generations.  Then they have the "implants" coming from outside the area buying up all the struggling farm land.  Those two segments of local society are at odds with one-another and have dramatically different opinions of how things should operate.  The previous iteration of elected county officials (Board of Supervisors and School Board) consisted of a majority of folks from outside the area.  The current iteration is entirely local.  That battle has been waging for at least 15 years.  It appears locals are trying to take back control of the county.  Anyone without lengthy local ties are being shunned so to speak.  It's not just McPherson, they have lost an inordinate amount of teachers throughout the county over the past few years.  Whats funny though, McPherson and the superintendent of Grayson County schools are both from Craig County.  If I were him, I would be updated my resume!

There is also the fact that McPherson and Grayson County has been a victim of the success of Galax athletics.  McPherson is well liked in the coaching community and is good friends with both Mark Dixon and Shane Allen.  McPherson would be a great addition to either staff.  I suspect he will end up on one or the other. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Grayson County as a whole is a "house divided" right now.  They have the long-time residents who can trace their families back for generations.  Then they have the "implants" coming from outside the area buying up all the struggling farm land.  Those two segments of local society are at odds with one-another and have dramatically different opinions of how things should operate.  The previous iteration of elected county officials (Board of Supervisors and School Board) consisted of a majority of folks from outside the area.  The current iteration is entirely local.  That battle has been waging for at least 15 years.  It appears locals are trying to take back control of the county.  Anyone without lengthy local ties are being shunned so to speak.  It's not just McPherson, they have lost an inordinate amount of teachers throughout the county over the past few years.  Whats funny though, McPherson and the superintendent of Grayson County schools are both from Craig County.  If I were him, I would be updated my resume!

There is also the fact that McPherson and Grayson County has been a victim of the success of Galax athletics.  McPherson is well liked in the coaching community and is good friends with both Mark Dixon and Shane Allen.  McPherson would be a great addition to either staff.  I suspect he will end up on one or the other. 

Sounds like something similar to what Monroe Co. WV went through a ways back.  Ironically, Wilmore was a teacher and coach at James Monroe in those days so this sort of environment shouldn't be all that unfamiliar in some ways.  

Just another example of athletics, and the young people that enjoy and made better people thru them, are rarely positively effected by politics of bitching elders that can't get their act together or refuse to put aside their biases and motivations.

20 minutes ago, GMan said:

I have lengthy ties to both Grayson and Carroll Co....maybe I should go run things...

You should.  It's an embarrassment right now.

10 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Sounds like something similar to what Monroe Co. WV went through a ways back.  Ironically, Wilmore was a teacher and coach at James Monroe in those days so this sort of environment shouldn't be all that unfamiliar in some ways.  

Just another example of athletics, and the young people that enjoy and made better people thru them, are rarely positively effected by politics of bitching elders that can't get their act together or refuse to put aside their biases and motivations.

I'm not a fan of Wilmore after having sat across from him in a board room setting on a few occasions.  I find him to be conceited, arrogant and dense!  McPherson is not completely without blame though.  He fought to get Bermuda grass on the football field, even after local professionals and various folks from the Turf Management Program at VT insisted it would be difficult at best in Grayson County and impossible given the football field location being shaded by a mountain 80% of the day.  McPherson did it anyway.  That whole episode has been an abject failure and the county is going to have to eat the cost of replacing the Bermuda.  But all in all, he has been a good role model for the kids of Grayson County.  I like him and his extended family.  His sister-in-law is one of the top three teachers in the Galax school system.  

To expound a bit on the situation in Grayson County.  Over the past decade, the sheriff's department has seen about an 80% turnover rate.  The county government has seen more than 50% turnover over in that same time period.  Grayson County has had three county administrators over the past decade.  The school system sees, on average, about 40% of it's staff leave after every school year and Wilmore is the 4th superintendent since I moved back to the area in 2007.  Over the course of a decade, that's an enormous "brain drain" for a county that is already experiencing near-record population loss. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Route 21 runs right through Independence and Sparta, NC.  Sparta always seems to have a Caleb Spurlin or two.

Speaking of,  the latest one from Galax got a mention on a tackle in their bowl game yesterday.  Didn't know he had went to App State.  Heard the name, thought it sounded familiar and looked up their roster.   Good to see the young man get some run and a team like App State.  

11 minutes ago, SW_VA_boy said:

Speaking of,  the latest one from Galax got a mention on a tackle in their bowl game yesterday.  Didn't know he had went to App State.  Heard the name, thought it sounded familiar and looked up their roster.   Good to see the young man get some run and a team like App State.  

He's been a solid producer for them for the past four seasons.  He scored a touchdown a few weeks ago against Troy.

On 12/22/2020 at 12:04 PM, sixcat said:

Whats funny though, McPherson and the superintendent of Grayson County schools are both from Craig County. 

I’m pretty sure Wilmore is originally from Wythe County not that it really matters, lol. 

On 12/22/2020 at 1:56 PM, sixcat said:

You should.  It's an embarrassment right now.

I'm not a fan of Wilmore after having sat across from him in a board room setting on a few occasions.  I find him to be conceited, arrogant and dense!  McPherson is not completely without blame though.  He fought to get Bermuda grass on the football field, even after local professionals and various folks from the Turf Management Program at VT insisted it would be difficult at best in Grayson County and impossible given the football field location being shaded by a mountain 80% of the day.  McPherson did it anyway.  That whole episode has been an abject failure and the county is going to have to eat the cost of replacing the Bermuda.  But all in all, he has been a good role model for the kids of Grayson County.  I like him and his extended family.  His sister-in-law is one of the top three teachers in the Galax school system.  

To expound a bit on the situation in Grayson County.  Over the past decade, the sheriff's department has seen about an 80% turnover rate.  The county government has seen more than 50% turnover over in that same time period.  Grayson County has had three county administrators over the past decade.  The school system sees, on average, about 40% of it's staff leave after every school year and Wilmore is the 4th superintendent since I moved back to the area in 2007.  Over the course of a decade, that's an enormous "brain drain" for a county that is already experiencing near-record population loss. 

I drive by that field at least 2 x week it looks good. its dormant at the moment. no need to replace it

On 12/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, Plywood_King said:

My great, great uncle by marriage was from Rugby. I'll be your line coach.

Since my grandmother's family lived on Fries Road and most are buried in a small cemetery off of Windmill Road just across the county line in Grayson Co., I'd say I have ties to that area.  And, my grandparents got married in Independence, so yeh, I'd say I have ties to that area.  I've drank more iron water in my lifetime than most..."iron water", yes, that's how the well water from that area tastes...yeh, I'd say I have ties to that area.

10 hours ago, GMan said:

I've drank more iron water in my lifetime than most..."iron water", yes, that's how the well water from that area tastes...yeh, I'd say I have ties to that area.

Grew up a quarter mile down stream from the muck dam. Can relate.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:22 PM, footballfanatic said:

I drive by that field at least 2 x week it looks good. its dormant at the moment. no need to replace it

It’s being overtaken by other grasses and isn’t very healthy. As a result, it costs much more than it should to maintain.

Just look at graduation pictures over the years...from mid-June!

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

It’s being overtaken by other grasses and isn’t very healthy. As a result, it costs much more than it should to maintain.

Just look at graduation pictures over the years...from mid-June!

Reminds me of Va High and them just painting the lines and hash marks in black to contrast with the dead grass.  Unique look if nothing else.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, Single A west said:

Haven’t really been around but say if Torrence did come. 3 years later who are you going to get? If you have a good coach now a days, you better keep him.

That's a good question.  I don't see Torrence staying long-term if he does get the job.  More likely, a short-term stepping stone opportunity to rebuild his image.  With that said, Grayson County Schools have had more than its fair share of embezzlement issues dating back to my high school days in the early 90's.  I can think of no less than a half-dozen off the top of my head.  Two involving central office personnel, including a former superintendent who billed the county for family vacations all over the globe for the better part of two decades.  I'm not sure Torrence will be well received by many of the county residents.  People tend to have long memories around here. 

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...