B-ball Standings/Results

Burrall’s Pearls

On 12/26/2020 at 9:49 PM, BigWinners said:

Ah okay gotcha. Union is very talented this year. They don't have a traditional big but they are long and athletic and if it's an up tempo game, they're in their element.

Tough to press as well, most of the time all five guys can handle the ball. If the outside shots are falling, they're gonna be tough to beat by the teams around here.

Graham is very athletic this year.  They have several kids that can come in off of the bench.  No "big" guy, but have a few that go 6-2 or 6-3.  Nobody in the SouthWest District will beat Graham. They should be a difficult matchup for just about anybody.  Watched Radford out of the TRD, they look good again.  They have size, but are not as quick as they were last year.  A team like Graham could cause them problems.   But, I would have to say that with TJ out of the picture this year, Radford has to be the favorite, but they are by no means unbeatable.  Cormany from Radford will be the best player on the floor, no matter who they play.  You gotta catch him on a bad night and that doesn't ever happen.  

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham is very athletic this year.  They have several kids that can come in off of the bench.  No "big" guy, but have a few that go 6-2 or 6-3.  Nobody in the SouthWest District will beat Graham. They should be a difficult matchup for just about anybody.  Watched Radford out of the TRD, they look good again.  They have size, but are not as quick as they were last year.  A team like Graham could cause them problems.   But, I would have to say that with TJ out of the picture this year, Radford has to be the favorite, but they are by no means unbeatable.  Cormany from Radford will be the best player on the floor, no matter who they play.  You gotta catch him on a bad night and that doesn't ever happen.  

I'd be shocked if any team besides Radford and maybe East Rock win the title. Cormandy is legit, same with the big kid at ER.

but I think Union and Graham both could hang somewhat with Radford if they're at full strength. Radford prob wins but I doubt it's a rout.

16 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I'd be shocked if any team besides Radford and maybe East Rock win the title. Cormandy is legit, same with the big kid at ER.

but I think Union and Graham both could hang somewhat with Radford if they're at full strength. Radford prob wins but I doubt it's a rout.

Union and Graham can both play with Radford this year.  Especially Union.  Radford is very good, but a slight notch down from where they have been.  Not saying they can't win a state title, but Union and Graham (Union especially), can play with Radford and maybe wins.  It will not be a route.  Union and Graham have a golden opportunity with John Marshall and Brunswick not playing.  John Marshall is basically a glorified AAU team and would walk through the Virginia AA state title if playing  Brunswick, a traditional basketball power returned 4 of 5 starters and would have been a problem.  East Rock I know little about.  The biggest threat for the Region D teams from Region C will likely be Dan River more than Radford.  Dan River is loaded again as always and may be the team to cut the nets down over the rest.  

Also, Scotty V from Gate City may have had a good point last year with his remarks about John Marshall.  They have apparently opted out of competition, BUT, they have basically formed a travel team and are playing out of state schools and STILL playing.  They are functioning literally like an AAU team of which Scotty V kind of accused them of being.  They have 3 more games lined up in the over the next 2 weeks with NC schools.  Although Scotty V received a lot of slack at the time and his statement seemed like sour grapes after the GC loss to John Marshall, he was actually right.  The VHSL needs to do something about this.  

16 minutes ago, vtdavis4321 said:

Union and Graham can both play with Radford this year.  Especially Union.  Radford is very good, but a slight notch down from where they have been.  Not saying they can't win a state title, but Union and Graham (Union especially), can play with Radford and maybe wins.  It will not be a route.  Union and Graham have a golden opportunity with John Marshall and Brunswick not playing.  John Marshall is basically a glorified AAU team and would walk through the Virginia AA state title if playing  Brunswick, a traditional basketball power returned 4 of 5 starters and would have been a problem.  East Rock I know little about.  The biggest threat for the Region D teams from Region C will likely be Dan River more than Radford.  Dan River is loaded again as always and may be the team to cut the nets down over the rest.  

Also, Scotty V from Gate City may have had a good point last year with his remarks about John Marshall.  They have apparently opted out of competition, BUT, they have basically formed a travel team and are playing out of state schools and STILL playing.  They are functioning literally like an AAU team of which Scotty V kind of accused them of being.  They have 3 more games lined up in the over the next 2 weeks with NC schools.  Although Scotty V received a lot of slack at the time and his statement seemed like sour grapes after the GC loss to John Marshall, he was actually right.  The VHSL needs to do something about this.  

Scotty 100% was right but it came off as sour grapes considering when the comments were made. I've always said the blame falls on the VHSL for their inaction, can't blame JM if they're following VHSL guidelines.

Listened to game last night between G-Men and Blues, and I thought the Blues held their on with the G-men.  

After 1st Q the score was 10-7 G-Men

At the half the score was 27-23 G-Men

In the 3rd Q with 2:05 left it was 39-35 G-Men; at end of 3 Q score was 44-36 G-Men

In the 4th Q with 2:26 left in game score was 62-56 G-Men; final score, of course G-Men with a 74-61 win

I have Graves scoring 14 pts in 4th for G-Men.  He was the difference.  

RC knocked off Eastside last night.  It was the first win in one of the big 3 boys sports since Eastside was formed for the Cove over the Spartans.  It was good to see the boys find a way to win.  Had a big lead, and Eastside cut it to 1 in the 4th only to see RC hit free throws down the stretch and do a better job of taking care of the ball.

Hopefully everyone stays healthy and out of quarantine and JIB, RC, TS and Eastside have a fun run to the end of the regular season as they each have matchup issues for the other.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

20 is a lot, esp in a HS game. Union is very good, but beating one of the top two Region D teams by 20 is a huge ask. 

Obviously I wouldn’t gamble with that line...and I’m not even knocking Graham...they are the third best team Ive seen after Union and Abingdon. I just think those two teams are head and shoulders above Graham because of their size and multiple scorers.