B-ball Standings/Results

Burrall’s Pearls

Hopefully Covid doesn't rear its ugly head in the Cumberland.  Great district race on the boys side.  Burton at the top with 1 loss currently.  RC, TS and Eastside all tied up with 2 losses so far. Not much difference in all 4 as each has matchup problems for the other.  RC avenged an early season loss to Burton Friday.  I thought RC blew the game at Norton and Burton kind of returned the favor at RC Friday.  Burton gained the lead in the 4th after a 14-2 run only to see RC come back in the last minute and a half to win by 5.  RC has Castlewood and TW this week.  Big games with Eastside traveling to Burton on Tuesday, and Burton traveling to Twin Springs on Friday.

21 minutes ago, GMan said:

So, wait...the unbeatable team, the team that would beat everyone by 20+ points this season, the best team in SWVA, lost last night by double digits???  Had to be some bad officiating that caused that to happen...

Lol Graham fans are almost as sensitive as Gate City fans (who might make a sudden reappearance now that the Devils have righted the ship) 

Union also only lost by 9-which would be important to some of you gamblers out there.

After watching last night I’m even more confident in my thought that Union/Abingdon are head and shoulders above anything else in SWVA.  

1 hour ago, GMan said:

So, wait...the unbeatable team, the team that would beat everyone by 20+ points this season, the best team in SWVA, lost last night by double digits???  Had to be some bad officiating that caused that to happen...

I quite enjoy this time of year.  The same 6-8 people pumping up the M7 to be better than the 1970s ACC, and like clockwork, every January/February, the golden child of the M7 suddenly getting run off the court.  It’s almost as if the unreliability of 15-18 year old kids might show up a time or two over the course of a season!  

Graham will have to show up big time to beat Union, I believe.  The defense was very lax against Richlands.  If Graham plays like that against Union, they may lose by 20.  If they play with intensity (the way they played against Pulaski), with their quickness and ability to get to the hoop in transition, it will be very interesting.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I quite enjoy this time of year.  The same 6-8 people pumping up the M7 to be better than the 1970s ACC, and like clockwork, every January/February, the golden child of the M7 suddenly getting run off the court.  It’s almost as if the unreliability of 15-18 year old kids might show up a time or two over the course of a season!  

One person, not from Union, said one thing. If losing by that margin against Abingdon is getting run off the court, a nip and tuck game, then I'd hate to see what an actual blowout is called. 

Losing by nine at Abingdon is getting run off the court. That's hilarious.

6 hours ago, GMan said:

Can you be more overdramatic? Jesus Christ.

Union shot 1-2 from the free throw line and less than 30% from 3pt. I wouldn't count on both of those going forward. 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:36 PM, UVAObserver said:

Tazewell - 74

Richlands - 67

FINAL

Is Richlands that bad or is Tazewell better this year? That's 2-0 over Richlands right? Wonder when the last time that happened was.

17 hours ago, -oo- said:

Is Richlands that bad or is Tazewell better this year? That's 2-0 over Richlands right? Wonder when the last time that happened was.

I would guess 2011 or 2012.  Tazewell is definitely better, this year.  They had 2 starters go down to injury this past weekend.  One of which may not return this season (knee).  Richlands is not too shabby, but have lost a couple due to injury also. Hopefully all of the injured players for both teams will be ready come football season.

20 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would guess 2011 or 2012.  Tazewell is definitely better, this year.  They had 2 starters go down to injury this past weekend.  One of which may not return this season (knee).  Richlands is not too shabby, but have lost a couple due to injury also. Hopefully all of the injured players for both teams will be ready come football season.

Tazewell at Lebanon tonight

I can’t figure Lebanon out-they win at Tazewell and at Richlands but lose to winless Marion and winless Va High.  Got killed by Graham once but played them tough second time.  Needed a fluke to beat Honaker.  

I guess everyone is just bad this year-other than Union of course haha

2 hours ago, Tigerman10 said:

Tazewell at Lebanon tonight

I can’t figure Lebanon out-they win at Tazewell and at Richlands but lose to winless Marion and winless Va High.  Got killed by Graham once but played them tough second time.  Needed a fluke to beat Honaker.  

I guess everyone is just bad this year-other than Union of course haha

That’s usually the sign of (1) a talented team with zero discipline and coaching or (2) a team devoid of talent with good coaching that plays hard.  Given that much of Lebanon’s talent is on a wrestling mat, I’d go with #2 (based on what I’ve seen).

15 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Haven't heard.  I do know that Graham will host the SouthWest and Region D tournament, so I guess that would be good news for them.

What about fans? I know SWD is only allowing a handful of parents. I bet away teams will be upset if they aren't allowed tickets, which has been the norm for SWD this entire season. Gonna be some upset parents that won't be able to attend postseason play I'm sure.

1 hour ago, -oo- said:

What about fans? I know SWD is only allowing a handful of parents. I bet away teams will be upset if they aren't allowed tickets, which has been the norm for SWD this entire season. Gonna be some upset parents that won't be able to attend postseason play I'm sure.

Blame the Governor for that one 

23 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Haven't heard.  I do know that Graham will host the SouthWest and Region D tournament, so I guess that would be good news for them.

I think all district and region games will be single games at the higher seed.

On 1/27/2021 at 6:41 PM, Weatherman said:

I think all district and region games will be single games at the higher seed.

Oh, I see.  I must have mis-interpreted what I heard.  I was told that Graham would be home in the district and regionals.  I must have assumed they would be hosting both.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

So are they doing an actual bracket?

Union v. SWD 4

SWD 2 v. RV

On one side and

Graham v. Lee

GC v. SWD 3

On the other?

Is Tazwell 2, Richlands 3, VHS 4 in SWD? 

Final standings were Graham, Tazewell, Lebanon, Richlands, Virginia & Marion. 

Quarters were last night. Richlands beat Virginia. Marion upset Lebanon. 

So Graham, Tazewell, Richlands and Marion will represent the SWD in some order. 

Graham is the 1 seed regardless. 

if Graham beats Richlands Friday, whoever wins the Tazewell Marion game will be the 2 seed. The loser would then play Richlands for the 3 seed. 

If Richlands were to pull a monumental upset, the winner of the SWD tournament will be the 2 seed. 

If the expected seeds hold, Region 2D will be:

Lee @ Graham

Ridgeview @ Tazewell

Richlands @ Gate City

Marion @ Union

The only real issue is that Tazewell lost Witt last week to a knee injury. Not sure how that will impact them going forward. It’s a shame, cause he has been a spark for a team that kinda came out of nowhere in the SWD.