B-ball Standings/Results

Burrall’s Pearls

Gate City/Graham definitely a fun one so far after the first half. Might have to buy a pizza for this 2nd half.

I think I saw Union is up 31-13 at half. 20-6 scoring in the 2nd quarter. 

Yeah it's looking really bad for Graham right now. Grahams biggest thing is speed and pressure. Gate City has handled that pretty well I think. They've chopped the game up really well. Making Graham defend for 20 seconds in the half court.

10 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Fouls against Graham are totally lopsided as well, getting a little ridiculous. Already shooting 1 and 1's in the 3rd quarter.

It’s 7-2 in the fouls so far.  You have to look at the situation.  Graham has to play more intense defense to get back in the game however they play too much 1 on 1 on offense.

2 minutes ago, Hokie101 said:

It’s 7-2 in the foils so far.  You have to look at the situation.  Graham has to play more intense defense to get back in the game however they play too much 1 on 1 on offense.

I agree.  Gate City has come with a good game plan for the 2nd half.  Graham can't seem to get out of their own way.  Well, on to football season for Graham, it looks like, unless a miracle happens.  Too many passes, leading to turnovers for Graham.  They are not good at the half-court offense, a lot of bad decisions.  Playing a weak schedule, as they did has hurt them against a good, disciplined team.  Gate City is the better team.

Just now, -oo- said:

I wish there was a way to know team stats. I'd love to know turnovers and rebounds for this game instead of just points.

I can tell you the stats.... Rebounds Gate City a lot, Graham a little.  Turnovers, Graham a lot, Gate City a little...

Graham has talent, but they need to play teams like Bluefield and Princeton in the regular season to prepare them for this.

1 minute ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I can tell you the stats.... Rebounds Gate City a lot, Graham a little.  Turnovers, Graham a lot, Gate City a little...

Graham has talent, but they need to play teams like Bluefield and Princeton in the regular season to prepare them for this.

I feel like Bluefield is there only talent in the regular season. Definitely missed out on playing hard fought games. I'd love to seem them get some other solid local teams. George Wythe would be a good one to add I think. Maybe even a Woodrow Wilson.

As for rebounds, I thought Graham would struggle against any big teams. They probably wouldn't have made it past by Union anyways because of that.

I think M7 is light years ahead of SWD at this point.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Large gap in the region. It’s Union and Graham — and then a big step back to GC — and then an entire mile back to the rest of the region.  

Tried to tell ya man, GC has gotten better as season progressed. They're good. I'd rather play Graham than GC right now.

I’m curious to hear about Ridgeview’s numbers.  A program like theirs to only have 7 or 8 players.  Was COVID a reason some didn’t come out this year?  You could tell they were gassed in the 4th quarter.  They’ll be one of the favorites next year I would think. 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I agree.  Gate City has come with a good game plan for the 2nd half.  Graham can't seem to get out of their own way.  Well, on to football season for Graham, it looks like, unless a miracle happens.  Too many passes, leading to turnovers for Graham.  They are not good at the half-court offense, a lot of bad decisions.  Playing a weak schedule, as they did has hurt them against a good, disciplined team.  Gate City is the better team.

I thought all along the weak SWD would hurt Graham in the playoffs. I hate for them but it is what it is. Congratulations, Gate City. 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I thought all along the weak SWD would hurt Graham in the playoffs. I hate for them but it is what it is. Congratulations, Gate City. 

As you saw people gave me All kinds of shit but the M7 is legit very good this year. RV isn't horrible and GC has gotten much better to pair with two very good teams at the top with Falcon and Bears.

Graham is only SWD team that would crack top five in M7. 

I watched GC a couple of times early this year but tonight was my first time watching Graham. GC looked much more crisp running their offense than earlier this year. Passing, motion everything looked better.  The other thing that caught my eye was they looked more athletic/quicker than Graham which stunned me.  It wasn’t a loss to lay on a bad shooting night for one team it didn’t look like to me. Maybe it was a situation if underestimating an opponent severely buy GC looked like they could get a good look at the basket each offensive possession with the way they were running their offense. 

6 minutes ago, Burrall’s Pearls said:

Odd game according to the story from the paper. Graham made more shots, shot better, attempted more shots and had just one more turnover. Not often you see a blowout for the other team with those numbers. Strange as someone who didn’t see the game. 

Graham most certainly did not attempt more shots.  GC had several possessions with 3-4 shots due to offensive rebounds.

4 hours ago, -oo- said:

Yeah it's looking really bad for Graham right now. Grahams biggest thing is speed and pressure. Gate City has handled that pretty well I think. They've chopped the game up really well. Making Graham defend for 20 seconds in the half court.

Tons of credit to Gate City on the upset.  The Devils adapted well to the pace and flow of the game, and Graham couldn’t match it.  The shooting was virtually even (GC: 18-42, Graham: 19-41), but fouls and free throws were the difference.  Graham didn’t appear to have a “Plan B” to throttle back the pressure to avoid the fouls, and when your opponent is shooting 1-and-1s in the 3rd quarter, FTs can make a game snowball in a hurry.

Graham did virtually this same thing to a team considered untouchable 3 years ago, and tonight it came full circle.  Basketball’s a screwy game.  🤣