winter sports concerns

Jags52

We already know that this season is going to be different than any other season we have ever seen but this year that is an added hurdle that football has never had to deal with it. 

Football is going to have to wait on athletes from winter sports to finished their season before they are allowed to even start football practice. We have a practice start date of Feb. 4th and regions for basketball start the 8th, wrestling has until the 13th to finish region and indoor track starts on the 6th. If the school you root for is not good at any of those sports then you are fine but wrestling state meet starts on the 18th that means any wresters that make that tournament wont have enough practices to compete in the first game (that is 5 for this season). If you have any stand out track stars that make it to the state meet that wont be held until March 3rd so you are looking 2 games missed for those kids. 

So which teams do you think are going to run into these issues? I have no idea who is doing what in basketball because I could care less about that sport but I know Graham is usually pretty good, Richlands best lineman are in the state tournament, Chilhowie is usually in the same boat as Richlands as far as wrestling is concerned, and Tazewell is well represented at track meets.

50 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I imagine most of the wrestlers that play football with attend a shortened football practice and then go to wrestling for a shortened practice. It isn't ideal but can be done. 

Most schools are not allowing athletes to do both because one positive test will shut down both teams

Graham will probably have several athletes this affects. If you suck at winter sports you get an advantage as far as having all your football players when practice starts. If your school has multi sport athletes and playoffs for winter, then sucks for the football program as far as having all boys to practice leading up to abbreviated season.  

This isn't a new concept....

Every year, football players are late to getting on the floor for basketball or if your basketball team makes a run, athletes are late to getting on the field for baseball, soccer, softball, etc.

Suck it up one year and lets move on.

44 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

This isn't a new concept....

Every year, football players are late to getting on the floor for basketball or if your basketball team makes a run, athletes are late to getting on the field for baseball, soccer, softball, etc.

Suck it up one year and lets move on.

I disagree

It is a brand new concept for football. All the sports you mentioned are use to dealing with that issue. Plus it is very hard to practice like you suppose to with less players. Basketball you only need 10 guys if you have less you can easily do 3 on 3 and rotate what you have and still have a productive practice. You can do the do the same with the other sports you do not need a full roster of athletes to practice and get what you need done. Sure you can do skelly stuff but in the trenches where the game is won if you a missing 3 or 4 lineman you are dead in the water. Even if you can put a full 5 out there on the o line who are they going to block? linebackers playing d line and DBs playing linebacker? 

Not making excuses but this year is different and coaches are going to have come up with some very creative ways to get the boys ready to play. 

9 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Graham will probably have several athletes this affects. If you suck at winter sports you get an advantage as far as having all your football players when practice starts. If your school has multi sport athletes and playoffs for winter, then sucks for the football program as far as having all boys to practice leading up to abbreviated season.  

I saw where Graham is undefeated I know that tackle yall have played basketball last year and I am sure most yalls stud athletes do as well. They should be in shape but being being ready to play from a mental aspect could be tough. Opening up with Richlands could be tough but they have a good wrestling program so I am sure they are going to be short some lineman and they have a bigger learning curve with a new staff round one of that game should be pretty interesting. 

40 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I saw where Graham is undefeated I know that tackle yall have played basketball last year and I am sure most yalls stud athletes do as well. They should be in shape but being being ready to play from a mental aspect could be tough. Opening up with Richlands could be tough but they have a good wrestling program so I am sure they are going to be short some lineman and they have a bigger learning curve with a new staff round one of that game should be pretty interesting. 

The tackle (Brody Meadows) isn't playing basketball. He's been pretty dedicated to the weight room the last two years from what I've seen/heard.

I believe Graham's basketball team only has three football players on their team. Two of which I believe are starters (Zay Bradshaw and Zach Dales). 

I'm also worried about injuries. Football players typically spend 3 or 4 months in the weight room putting on all that muscle so their bodies can handle that beating but there will be so many players on so many teams that haven't lifted in a couple months. But of course, they are kids, and they can eat a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts and go run 3 miles like it's nothing. 

On 1/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, -oo- said:

The tackle (Brody Meadows) isn't playing basketball. He's been pretty dedicated to the weight room the last two years from what I've seen/heard.

I believe Graham's basketball team only has three football players on their team. Two of which I believe are starters (Zay Bradshaw and Zach Dales). 

I'm also worried about injuries. Football players typically spend 3 or 4 months in the weight room putting on all that muscle so their bodies can handle that beating but there will be so many players on so many teams that haven't lifted in a couple months. But of course, they are kids, and they can eat a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts and go run 3 miles like it's nothing. 

I'm only quoting you because I noticed your avatar. HTTR

On 1/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, -oo- said:

Graham and Tazewell I know for sure have been lifting and conditioning as much as they have been allowed, a lot of the kids continue to work out at home or at the gym. Don't know about Richlands, but Im sure they have been doing the same.  I'm sure they are ready and chomping at the bit to play football.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, redtiger said:

I imagine most of the wrestlers that play football with attend a shortened football practice and then go to wrestling for a shortened practice. It isn't ideal but can be done. 

Yes.  That's the plan for most dual sport athletes.  Coaches are working together to let players practice for both.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, redtiger said:

I think there are some issues, or possibly some procedural things, with going to two practices. If one team were to have a positive test then 2 teams would have to shut down. Not sure how much that is followed but I think some schools/counties are trying to follow that idea.

2 hours ago, -oo- said:

I think there are some issues, or possibly some procedural things, with going to two practices. If one team were to have a positive test then 2 teams would have to shut down. Not sure how much that is followed but I think some schools/counties are trying to follow that idea.

That is what the "rule" is. It makes a ton of since honestly even though I hate the rule. Lets just say Graham or Union are about to make a run to the state semis and one kid goes to football practice and another kid that doesnt play basketball test positive for COVID then both teams are done for 2 weeks. For football that means less practice for the first game. For those basketball player that dont play football that means a chance a state just got ripped from them... again. Like I said I absolutely hate the rule but I completely understand it. 

57 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

That is what the "rule" is. It makes a ton of since honestly even though I hate the rule. Lets just say Graham or Union are about to make a run to the state semis and one kid goes to football practice and another kid that doesnt play basketball test positive for COVID then both teams are done for 2 weeks. For football that means less practice for the first game. For those basketball player that dont play football that means a chance a state just got ripped from them... again. Like I said I absolutely hate the rule but I completely understand it. 

go to faceshield.actuatedmedical.com/football-helmet-lower-shields-1-set-p224244238 copy and past into address bar. if these are worn then shouldn't have to quarantine since this is a mask.

7 hours ago, -oo- said:

I know Graham players are not practicing football if they’re currently playing basketball. Hopefully, they get to practice before that first game with Richlands. This whole thing is messed up. I stand firm, we should have had fall sports in the fall. I’m glad they’re playing though even if it is now and a shortened season. 

37 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I know Graham players are not practicing football if they’re currently playing basketball. Hopefully, they get to practice before that first game with Richlands. This whole thing is messed up. I stand firm, we should have had fall sports in the fall. I’m glad they’re playing though even if it is now and a shortened season. 

That's odd.  Tazewell's basketball players that are on the football team are practicing with the football team in the mornings.  6:00 a.m. practices.  Pretty sure the track kids and wrestlers are too.  In these times, coaches need to work together.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't think I am.  Other schools are doing this same thing.  I guess it varies school to school.  I think there are far fewer "required" practices this year.  I think it's only 7 (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

29 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That's odd.  Tazewell's basketball players that are on the football team are practicing with the football team in the mornings.  6:00 a.m. practices.  Pretty sure the track kids and wrestlers are too.  In these times, coaches need to work together.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't think I am.  Other schools are doing this same thing.  I guess it varies school to school.  I think there are far fewer "required" practices this year.  I think it's only 7 (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Richlands basketball/wrestling players are not practicing football until their seasons are done. 

27 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

That's odd.  Tazewell's basketball players that are on the football team are practicing with the football team in the mornings.  6:00 a.m. 

Brrrrrrrrr....6am is cold! If I were a basketball coach and my team was the top in the district, I’m not sure I’d want them practicing football with tournaments going on to be honest.  Hopefully, they get in 7 before game 1.  

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

Brrrrrrrrr....6am is cold! If I were a basketball coach and my team was the top in the district, I’m not sure I’d want them practicing football with tournaments going on to be honest.  Hopefully, they get in 7 before game 1.  

Richland and Tazewell basketball players will be done early next week, most likely. 

But Graham... they’re headed to the state tournament and that could be tough on those kids transiting to football the week before their first game. 

21 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

They should.

19 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Richland and Tazewell basketball players will be done early next week, most likely. 

But Graham... they’re headed to the state tournament and that could be tough on those kids transiting to football the week before their first game. 

It would be a tough transition for sure.  There are a few football players on the basketball team and 3 that I can think of that would get a lot of PT.  Graham has been conditioning and lifting hard.  I think those guys will be fine (if they get the required practices in).  It would be a big blow to not have Bradshaw in that first game. 

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

You only need 5 practices and that is so you can get your 3 helmets days then 2 shells before going full go.

If a team has a game scheduled for February 22 but several athletes are still involved in other sports, do they have to play that game as long as they have enough players available? Are teams able to postpone until a later date? How are those situations going to be handled?

No real room for rescheduling.  6 weeks, 6 games. Those teams playing on the 22nd give themselves some wiggle room through the season but their opponents schedules have to work too. I wish as a district the M7 would have all played on the same dates with a open week at the end(how Central schedule sets up). That gives everyone a makeup date. 

As far as kids playing other sports, they will have to decide what they want. Union has a few football players on the basketball team and they will make a run, Central has a few football players that made the state wrestling tournament