winter sports concerns

Jags52

On 2/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, Ryan4VT said:

Richland and Tazewell basketball players will be done early next week, most likely. 

But Graham... they’re headed to the state tournament and that could be tough on those kids transiting to football the week before their first game. 

You think Graham beats Union in Region D?  It is my understanding that only the region winner is advancing this season directly to the semis in basketball.  It's win or go home from here on out.

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You think Graham beats Union in Region D?  It is my understanding that only the region winner is advancing this season directly to the semis in basketball.  It's win or go home from here on out.

Union isn’t the ‘96 Bulls that the M7 homers are building them up to be.  Union should probably beat Graham, but if Graham plays an A game to Union’s B game...Union’s not advancing.  

If this format were in place 3 years ago, Gate City doesn’t win a title with McClung and Graham puts another trophy beside the one from 1955.  Food for thought.

1 minute ago, UVAObserver said:

Union isn’t the ‘96 Bulls that the M7 homers are building them up to be.  Union should probably beat Graham, but if Graham plays an A game to Union’s B game...Union’s not advancing.  

If this format were in place 3 years ago, Gate City doesn’t win a title with McClung and Graham puts another trophy beside the one from 1955.  Food for thought.

I haven't saw either play obviously, but I have seen Science Hill play who Union lost to by 1 twice this season.  Union is probably pretty stout to have only lost to a top 5 AAA team in Tennessee by one twice.  I do like the win or go home format though.  Union and Graham game will be pretty intense.  Just wished we as fans could watch it.

3 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I think it will be a helluva game when they meet — but Graham is really, really good. No one played them even remotely close all season. Graves is a star. Bradshaw is a good point. And they have shooters galore. Not saying Union can’t win. Just saying I think Graham wins, personally. 

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I haven't saw either play obviously, but I have seen Science Hill play who Union lost to by 1 twice this season.  Union is probably pretty stout to have only lost to a top 5 AAA team in Tennessee by one twice.  I do like the win or go home format though.  Union and Graham game will be pretty intense.  Just wished we as fans could watch it.

Graham is good, but the level of competition has been sub-par.  Having watched Union and Radford (facebook live and NFHS).  I think Graham wins 3 out of 10 against Union, so I think Union is better overall, Union has a distinct size advantage.  Radford is flat out nasty and I think they beat either Graham or Union.  But this is high school and anything can happen. 

4 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Graham is good, but the level of competition has been sub-par.  Having watched Union and Radford (facebook live and NFHS).  I think Graham wins 3 out of 10 against Union, so I think Union is better overall, Union has a distinct size advantage.  Radford is flat out nasty and I think they beat either Graham or Union.  But this is high school and anything can happen. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Radford takes it all. Graham’s lack of quality competition will catch up to them I’m afraid. I hope I’m wrong obviously.

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Radford takes it all. Graham’s lack of quality competition will catch up to them I’m afraid. I hope I’m wrong obviously.

With TJ not playing this season, Radford is the clear favorite.  Hope somebody from D can pull it out.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:28 AM, redtiger said:

No real room for rescheduling.  6 weeks, 6 games. Those teams playing on the 22nd give themselves some wiggle room through the season but their opponents schedules have to work too. I wish as a district the M7 would have all played on the same dates with a open week at the end(how Central schedule sets up). That gives everyone a makeup date. 

As far as kids playing other sports, they will have to decide what they want. Union has a few football players on the basketball team and they will make a run, Central has a few football players that made the state wrestling tournament 

The smart move would have been for everyone to have that bye week at the end for just a little bit of wiggle room. As far as kids playing right now, I dont think I want a kid on my football team that bailed on another team sport just to get to mine. That just does not speak very highly of their competitive nature. That first week of games could see some upsets that we werent expecting because of that but that is just the world we are living in right now. 

I also heard a rumor that Wise Central is already dealing with a 2 week quarantine I would hate to see a kid lose a shot at a state championship in wrestling because he was at the practice field. It sucks for football because those are usually the best football players but you have to finish up your season before moving to the next one.

On 2/7/2021 at 4:33 PM, UVAObserver said:

You're such a whiny little girl. When has anyone who supports a M7 school came out like that for Union?

You're simply trying to build a narrative that does not exist. No one thinks that, one person who doesn't root for any M7 team said one thing and months later you're still whining about it when no one else has said anything like that. At this point if Union and Graham meet and Union does win, people are gonna let you hear it bc how you've been trying to twist all this into a tale of scrappy underdog Graham against juggernaut Union when in reality that's not true at all. Graham has been more successful in basketball, they've advanced further, if anything Union is the team with something to prove not Graham. If you think people can't see thru your ridiculousness and see what you're trying to do you're sorely mistaken. 

21 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

You're such a whiny little girl. When has anyone who supports a M7 school came out like that for Union?

You're simply trying to build a narrative that does not exist. No one thinks that, one person who doesn't root for any M7 team said one thing and months later you're still whining about it when no one else has said anything like that. At this point if Union and Graham meet and Union does win, people are gonna let you hear it bc how you've been trying to twist all this into a tale of scrappy underdog Graham against juggernaut Union when in reality that's not true at all. Graham has been more successful in basketball, they've advanced further, if anything Union is the team with something to prove not Graham. If you think people can't see thru your ridiculousness and see what you're trying to do you're sorely mistaken. 

Admittedly there’s not been as much this year since Gate City’s once-in-a-generation run of talent is exhausted, but you’ve got at least one here that was running his mouth until Abingdon slapped Union earlier this season.

It’s not at all that I whine or that I am a female (one of the Top 5 strangest, completely unprovoked, ad homs I’ve ever received, BTW), but the fact that at least a portion of you all do this...every...year and have Graham put you in your place...every...year.  Eventually you M7 folks would learn...right?

It gets really darned old.

2018: Gate City will demolish Graham.  WRONG!

2019: M7 will sweep SWD in the playoffs.  WRONG!

2020: Gate City stands a good chance in the finals against John Marshall.  WRONG!

2021: Union will beat Graham by 20.  Can’t wait for that one to be wrong too.

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Admittedly there’s not been as much this year since Gate City’s once-in-a-generation run of talent is exhausted, but you’ve got at least one here that was running his mouth until Abingdon slapped Union earlier this season.

It’s not at all that I whine or that I am a female (one of the Top 5 strangest, completely unprovoked, ad homs I’ve ever received, BTW), but the fact that at least a portion of you all do this...every...year and have Graham put you in your place...every...year.  Eventually you M7 folks would learn...right?

It gets really darned old.

2018: Gate City will demolish Graham.  WRONG!

2019: M7 will sweep SWD in the playoffs.  WRONG!

2020: Gate City stands a good chance in the finals against John Marshall.  WRONG!

2021: Union will beat Graham by 20.  Can’t wait for that one to be wrong too.

Tigerman is not a M7 fan IIRC. Blows your theory out of the water.

Why do you care what anyone said about GC/JM? Doesn't concern you.

Graham put Union in their place?!? LOLOLOLOL. What's Grahams record against Union in football? Want me to look it up?

It's 2-4. Union never lost in Bluefield.

And to pretend you aren't pouting and whining is hilarious. You're trying to create a narrative without factual basis. MSNBCObserver.

It's not an ad hominem attack,it's the truth. You get your panties in a bunch over a nonexistent slight. You're trying to portray all the M7 guys as the same when no one from the M7 said anything of the sort

I think if we see a Union/Graham match up it will come down to size. Graham has none and Union has a lot. Graham has had no competition this season. I've said it before, Grahams season doesn't start until region play.

I think Union wins and wins pretty easily. Graham had a similar schedule last year. They coasted through the regular season with no competition, just to get handled in region play. M7 is light years ahead of SWD in my opinion.

However, I saw a tweet where they have won 56 straight district wins. That's very impressive to say the least.

13 minutes ago, -oo- said:

I think if we see a Union/Graham match up it will come down to size. Graham has none and Union has a lot. Graham has had no competition this season. I've said it before, Grahams season doesn't start until region play.

I think Union wins and wins pretty easily. Graham had a similar schedule last year. They coasted through the regular season with no competition, just to get handled in region play. M7 is light years ahead of SWD in my opinion.

However, I saw a tweet where they have won 56 straight district wins. That's very impressive to say the least.

You're either trolling or not a M7 fan. Union is not that great.

7 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Just my take big guy.

Graham's biggest competition each year is Bluefield. Other than those two games they are winning by 20. They didn't get to see that competition this year. They haven't had to grind out a victory in any game. Instead they have gotten to rest their starters. I'm not sure their best players have played over 20 minutes yet. That'll hurt them I think.

I still think they get past Lee pretty easily. I think they'll have to fight it out against Gate City. But Union will dominate the paint all night I think.

3 hours ago, -oo- said:

Just my take big guy.

Graham's biggest competition each year is Bluefield. Other than those two games they are winning by 20. They didn't get to see that competition this year. They haven't had to grind out a victory in any game. Instead they have gotten to rest their starters. I'm not sure their best players have played over 20 minutes yet. That'll hurt them I think.

I still think they get past Lee pretty easily. I think they'll have to fight it out against Gate City. But Union will dominate the paint all night I think.

But you're proving MSNBCObserver point if you really are a M7 fan. Union is not that much better than Graham if at all.

4 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Speaking of whining and femininity, goodness gracious sakes alive, this is just about a perfect example.

As I’ve stated more than once here, and what should be quite evident at this point, Union should rightly be favored over Graham.  If Union played Graham 10 times, Union would probably win 7 of them.  That doesn’t translate into a Union beatdown just as much as it doesn’t translate into Union automatically being the 2D representative (read: sacrificial lamb) against 2C (read: Radford).

18 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Tigerman is not a M7 fan IIRC. Blows your theory out of the water.

Why do you care what anyone said about GC/JM? Doesn't concern you.

Graham put Union in their place?!? LOLOLOLOL. What's Grahams record against Union in football? Want me to look it up?

It's 2-4. Union never lost in Bluefield.

And to pretend you aren't pouting and whining is hilarious. You're trying to create a narrative without factual basis. MSNBCObserver.

It's not an ad hominem attack,it's the truth. You get your panties in a bunch over a nonexistent slight. You're trying to portray all the M7 guys as the same when no one from the M7 said anything of the sort

Not making excuses for Graham, but the first 2 losses to Union (in football) were when Graham was rebuilding a team that had it's tradition seriously harmed by people who didn't understand the hard-nosed "work-horse" type attitude that the G-men had before they took over (or they didn't care).  Palmer has restored that tradition and is 2-2 against Union and I expect him to be 3-2 after this upcoming fall season.  What we need is some knucklehead to make a "hype" video about how much better Union is than Graham.  That worked out well for Graham the last time.  I think Union would take 7 out of 10 from Graham this year (in basketball), BUT Graham has yet to reach their potential.  If Graham plays to their potential, I think they beat Union.  There has been a lot of laziness and un-forced errors this year and a lot of that has to do with a lack of good competition this year.  Worry about the team in front of you.  I'll guarantee you that Graham will be ready to play when and if they face Union and will probably play their best game of the year (that's what they do under pressure).  Todd Baker has a way to get the best out of his team, when a big game is on the line.  Will it be enough?  Maybe,  we will see.

On a side note.  Graham is miles ahead of where they were before Palmer took over.  Coach Carlock would be proud of the way Tony is working with and preparing this team, not only for football, but for life.

I am biased towards the SWD.  I would like to see Tazewell win it this year (in football), but Graham is the top-dog until somebody knocks them off.  Despite the loss of talent, I don't think Graham loses too many steps.  They Develop players.  The kids are looking strong this year.

As I type this, Graham is out to an 18-0 run to start the game against Lee....

Edit:  had to come back and edit this, Graham scored 24 points before Lee scored a bucket.  That's what I'm talking about, Graham can be explosive and they are very, very quick.  They are no team to take lightly.

3 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Not making excuses for Graham, but the first 2 losses to Union (in football) were when Graham was rebuilding a team that had it's tradition seriously harmed by people who didn't understand the hard-nosed "work-horse" type attitude that the G-men had before they took over (or they didn't care).  Palmer has restored that tradition and is 2-2 against Union and I expect him to be 3-2 after this upcoming fall season.  What we need is some knucklehead to make a "hype" video about how much better Union is than Graham.  That worked out well for Graham the last time.  I think Union would take 7 out of 10 from Graham this year (in basketball), BUT Graham has yet to reach their potential.  If Graham plays to their potential, I think they beat Union.  There has been a lot of laziness and un-forced errors this year and a lot of that has to do with a lack of good competition this year.  Worry about the team in front of you.  I'll guarantee you that Graham will be ready to play when and if they face Union and will probably play their best game of the year (that's what they do under pressure).  Todd Baker has a way to get the best out of his team, when a big game is on the line.  Will it be enough?  Maybe,  we will see.

On a side note.  Graham is miles ahead of where they were before Palmer took over.  Coach Carlock would be proud of the way Tony is working with and preparing this team, not only for football, but for life.

I am biased towards the SWD.  I would like to see Tazewell win it this year (in football), but Graham is the top-dog until somebody knocks them off.  Despite the loss of talent, I don't think Graham loses too many steps.  They Develop players.  The kids are looking strong this year.

As I type this, Graham is out to an 18-0 run to start the game against Lee....

Edit:  had to come back and edit this, Graham scored 24 points before Lee scored a bucket.  That's what I'm talking about, Graham can be explosive and they are very, very quick.  They are no team to take lightly.

And Union beat Richlands by 50 points. What were the margins when Richlands and Graham played?

I understand you are bias to SWD, I'm partial to M7. But MSNBOberserver is acting like it's M7 people getting on here saying Union will dominate Graham if they meet when that's just not happened

Graham better be worried about GC, not Union. GC has steadily improved and will be the best team Graham has played all year. M7 was 3-1 tonight.

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Speaking of whining and femininity, goodness gracious sakes alive, this is just about a perfect example.

As I’ve stated more than once here, and what should be quite evident at this point, Union should rightly be favored over Graham.  If Union played Graham 10 times, Union would probably win 7 of them.  That doesn’t translate into a Union beatdown just as much as it doesn’t translate into Union automatically being the 2D representative (read: sacrificial lamb) against 2C (read: Radford).

That's hilarious coming from the person who is making up imaginary M7 fan posts and bringing up stuff said months ago.

After watching Union for the first time, I think Union wins. It won’t be easy — Graham can score. But Union has the size to exploit Graham’s biggest weakness. I think it’ll be a must-watch game. But I now lean Union. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

After watching Union for the first time, I think Union wins. It won’t be easy — Graham can score. But Union has the size to exploit Graham’s biggest weakness. I think it’ll be a must-watch game. But I now lean Union. 

Don't sleep on GC. they've gotten much better as season progressed. Graham should still win but don't be shocked if it's close ish

Well after watching both games last night I will change my prediction. I think it can be closer. Maybe a 10 point game instead of 20. I still have Union winning the long lasting rivalry of power (Union) versus speed (Graham).

Graham is fast, I mean really fast. Zay Turner-Bradshaw is a different kind of fast. But I think when it comes to half court execution Graham will struggle against the length of Union. Union will dominate the boards. They should be able to score pretty effectively with their size and putbacks. They have a few guys that are taller than everyone on Graham's team that can shoot from anywhere. They'll get uncontested shots all night.

On the other hand, Graham will struggle to score in the half court over extended arms all night. The only way Graham wins is if they turn Union over and score in transition, which can happen after watching last nights game. However, I don't think Union will fold under pressure as easily as Lee did.

21 hours ago, BigWinners said:

And Union beat Richlands by 50 points. What were the margins when Richlands and Graham played?

I understand you are bias to SWD, I'm partial to M7. But MSNBOberserver is acting like it's M7 people getting on here saying Union will dominate Graham if they meet when that's just not happened

Graham better be worried about GC, not Union. GC has steadily improved and will be the best team Graham has played all year. M7 was 3-1 tonight.

Graham won the last one by 31, but subs played a big part of the game.  But by the transitive property, Graham beat Tazewell by 30 (with subs in a LOT) who beat Richlands by 30, so...

Point is, Graham and Union are both good teams and either one could come out on top.  As you have mentioned, Gate City is no slouch and Graham and Union may both be sitting at home.  One thing is for certain and that is Radford will most likely be looming, unless something crazy happens and that will be a monumental task for whoever comes out of D.  I would say the Region D champ is a double digit underdog, no matter who advances.