playoffs

footballfanatic

Yes, 4 teams per region per class, 16 total per class. I think 2A Region D is using power points,  I figured they would take #1 and #2 from each district and cross bracket but I dont believe thats what they chose.

13 hours ago, redtiger said:

Yes, 4 teams per region per class, 16 total per class. I think 2A Region D is using power points,  I figured they would take #1 and #2 from each district and cross bracket but I dont believe thats what they chose.

Just found out; they chose a hybrid.  Top 2 teams from each District with the most power points will advance.  So the district standings will come down to Power Points.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Just found out; they chose a hybrid.  Top 2 teams from each District with the most power points will advance.  So the district standings will come down to Power Points.

Any potential for a 3rd place finisher to outpoint the runner up due to the +1 out of district game? Serious question, because if it's possible, given the messes that we've seen in a covid sports world, I guarantee it will occur somewhere.

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Going with Graham and Tazewell in the SWD.  Central and Ridgeview in the M7

18 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

Any potential for a 3rd place finisher to outpoint the runner up due to the +1 out of district game? Serious question, because if it's possible, given the messes that we've seen in a covid sports world, I guarantee it will occur somewhere.

It’s certainly possible under that format.  A 2nd place team that lost to a middling non-district opponent could end up behind a 3rd place team with the same overall record (1 game back in district standings) that beat a formidable non-district opponent.  I haven’t reviewed the M7’s schedules but with the glob of teams that could finish 2nd there, I bet it’s feasible.

As for the SWD, I’d have to crunch numbers to determine if it’s possible.  I’ll exclude Marion, Virginia High, and Lebanon from this discussion, because if the SWD’s Big Three each beat them, the points are dead even at that point.  

Graham’s non-district game is Richlands.

Richlands’s non-district game is Graham.

Tazewell’s non-district game is Riverheads.  

I’ll study this a bit more later.

On Maxpreps Riverheads is listed as only playing 4 games: Tazewell, Wilson Memorial, Staunton, and Buffalo Gap. Ive not looked at how much that schedule will help Tazewell if the Bulldogs win.

I'd heard that Abingdon wouldn't count toward Power Points for the M7 teams, idk if thats true or not

2 hours ago, redtiger said:

On Maxpreps Riverheads is listed as only playing 4 games: Tazewell, Wilson Memorial, Staunton, and Buffalo Gap. Ive not looked at how much that schedule will help Tazewell if the Bulldogs win.

I'd heard that Abingdon wouldn't count toward Power Points for the M7 teams, idk if thats true or not

There’s 8 teams in the Shenandoah District, so I’d be awfully surprised if Riverheads couldn’t fill out a 6-game schedule.  As usual, that appears to be a MaxPreps glitch. 

Edit: Just found Riverheads’s schedule:

February 27 vs. Tazewell - 1 PM

March 5 vs. Wilson Memorial - 7 PM

March 12 Fort Defiance - 7 PM

March 19 @ Staunton - 7 PM

March 26 vs. Buffalo Gap - 7 PM

April 1 vs. Stuarts Draft - 7 PM

I knew they had some higher classification schools in the district and I thought maybe they had elected to play together and avoid the 1A powerhouse.

After some research I guess the Shenandoah District is down to 6 teams (the Bull Run is 8), which explains Riverheads need to find a 6th game. Every 2A team between Staunton and Tazewell has a full district schedule so Tazewell was VERY hard pressed to find a game and I guess Riverheads was glad to have a 2A school come to them.

The Gladiators will play four 2A teams and two 3A. I'd imagine that's the toughest 1A schedule in the state by a wide margin.