Football is back

Ryan4VT

On 2/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, jarhead24219 said:

So is there any truth to the rumors of the whole CENTRAL football team being in quarantine?if so how does that effect the first game for them?A players mother works here at the town and she is off because of this, so i have to believe the rumors, anyone inside the program have better knowledge of the programs status

They have a handful in quarantine but not the whole team by any stretch. 

14 hours ago, BoBob said:

Which is probably a result of the fact they had very little incentive to keep their grades up with no sports in the fall.

Lots of kids they only reason they try to keep their grades up is to play sports.  Remove that "reward" and some will barely do anything to help themselves. 

But what if they aren’t athletes and having that problem?

Craig County has 160-170 kids 9-12. Middle School has about 130 6-8. Elementary school has about 230ish K-5. 

This pandemic has deprived many of the structure needed to succeed. 

4 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

In 1991, the first year data was available, 27.5% of minors smoked cigarettes.  In 2020, 9.2% of minors smoked (which includes the Juul pods that have been marketed toward them).  It appears as if 1 in every 7 households before were A-OK with their kids smoking cigarettes as compared to now.

Not necessarily true...the enforcement of the tobacco laws was very lax in the beginning.  15-18 year olds could still walk into a convenience store and buy a pack of smokes, no questions asked.  Nowadays, you have to be 21 to buy some cigs...a typical 15 year old would get questioned every time he or she attempted to do so by 2020...

And no, 1 in 7 didn't think it was OK then but kids still did it because they could easily obtain them.  If you were around back then, you'd know this like the rest of us Gen Xers...

11 hours ago, BoBob said:

Which is probably a result of the fact they had very little incentive to keep their grades up with no sports in the fall.

Lots of kids they only reason they try to keep their grades up is to play sports.  Remove that "reward" and some will barely do anything to help themselves. 

West Virginia is considering lowering the required GPA for kids to play sports for the remainder of this year.  Not sure if I agree with that one.

12 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

What “things” were instilled, may I ask?

In 1980, the juvenile felony arrest rate was somewhere in the neighborhood of 31.9 per 1000 juveniles nationwide.  If you had a 32-person classroom, odds are 1 of your classmates was going to be locked up with a felony.  Today, that figure is 4.5 per 1000 juveniles nationwide.  That’s an sevenfold drop.  It appears as if the generations before weren’t having very good qualities instilled in them.

In 1980, the high school graduation rate nationwide was 72%.  Today, the high school graduation rate nationwide is 84%.  It appears as if about 1 in 7 households before weren’t preaching the importance of education to their children.

In 1991, the first year data was available, 27.5% of minors smoked cigarettes.  In 2020, 9.2% of minors smoked (which includes the Juul pods that have been marketed toward them).  It appears as if 1 in every 7 households before were A-OK with their kids smoking cigarettes as compared to now.

Naturally, I’m being facetious, but the point remains.  I love Boomers and Xers, because so many of them remember things the way they never were.

Boom. Awesome post

On 2/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, rsntu88 said:

But what if they aren’t athletes and having that problem?

Craig County has 160-170 kids 9-12. Middle School has about 130 6-8. Elementary school has about 230ish K-5. 

This pandemic has deprived many of the structure needed to succeed. 

This:  

"This pandemic has deprived many of the structure needed to succeed."

On 2/11/2021 at 1:11 PM, UVAObserver said:

What “things” were instilled, may I ask?

In 1980, the juvenile felony arrest rate was somewhere in the neighborhood of 31.9 per 1000 juveniles nationwide.  If you had a 32-person classroom, odds are 1 of your classmates was going to be locked up with a felony.  Today, that figure is 4.5 per 1000 juveniles nationwide.  That’s an sevenfold drop.  It appears as if the generations before weren’t having very good qualities instilled in them.

In 1980, the high school graduation rate nationwide was 72%.  Today, the high school graduation rate nationwide is 84%.  It appears as if about 1 in 7 households before weren’t preaching the importance of education to their children.

Naturally, I’m being facetious, but the point remains.  I love Boomers and Xers, because so many of them remember things the way they never were.

Sorry that I don't have the time to sit in my law office and look all of the statistics up.  I would be curious to see the federal guidelines of No Child Left Behind / Federal Money with the need for schools to water down material and grading in relation to getting graduation rates up.  Just a thought.  My point is made below, unlike like my grandfather who walked five miles to school, in the snow, with no shoes. 

I guess I was referring to hard work, discipline, and teamwork. You know since this is a football board and these things usually apply to student/athletes.   Obviously you did all of those things for yourself because you had the work ethic to go to college and pass the bar.  Good grief smoking a cig was done by most of the faculty in school "back in the day."   I would dare say that school and personal accountability was more prevalent then than it is now.

1 hour ago, falconfan1 said:

I would be curious to see the federal guidelines of No Child Left Behind / Federal Money with the need for schools to water down material and grading in relation to getting graduation rates up.

My dad graduated from high school with a regular, old high school diploma in 1977, wasn't in special education, and didn't know how to read. Like NCLB or not, kids have a much stronger education now than they did before, and you can't water down the material when every student in the state takes the same final exam. Whether or not that education is useful is another story.

1 hour ago, falconfan1 said:

I was referring to hard work, discipline, and teamwork. You know since this is a football board and these things usually apply to student/athletes.

I think the problem is that the last 25 years or so of tech development has shifted the definition of hard work and discipline, and its finally started to come to fruition in rural America in the last ten years. Very few people work 9-5 jobs doing hard labor anymore; and the few who do are, with due respect, are doing it not because they want to, but it's because it's all they can do.

Plus, with the widespread coverage of CTE research, it's hard to convince a teenager to commit themselves to something that will have no positive impact on their life after they graduate. It's become more apparent that football has can potentially be devastating to a person's long term health, and the physical toll may not be worth it to kids who aren't going to be playing for world beater teams.

I'll entertain the idea of Gen Z being soft all day and twice on Sunday, but it's due to the environment that my generation and my parents generation put them in, namely, study as hard as possible and protect your health. In regards to playing football, there are no longer any apparent benefits to them, so a lot of them are choosing just not to play.

Falconfan great points. Times were different in the days I believe you were talking about. Anyone that would want to compare today's education to the good ole days are just plain wrong. Yes kids slipped through the cracks and graduated but the same things happen today. It goes back to everyone gets a trophy mentality.

2 hours ago, swvafbrespect said:

Falconfan great points. Times were different in the days I believe you were talking about. Anyone that would want to compare today's education to the good ole days are just plain wrong. Yes kids slipped through the cracks and graduated but the same things happen today. It goes back to everyone gets a trophy mentality.

Times were different.  Not better, as is being argued, but different.  In most ways, objectively worse...but different.

As a side note how many tree stands will be going up a BULLIT PARK  this weekend for the real fans?We have plenty of trees along the green belt, also I have been told that the overflow parking at LONESOME PINE HOSPITAL will show the game live on a large screen/same with WED. BASKETBALL , DOE AND JOE WILL BE THERE ALSO 

On 2/16/2021 at 5:02 PM, jarhead24219 said:

As a side note how many tree stands will be going up a BULLIT PARK  this weekend for the real fans?We have plenty of trees along the green belt, also I have been told that the overflow parking at LONESOME PINE HOSPITAL will show the game live on a large screen/same with WED. BASKETBALL , DOE AND JOE WILL BE THERE ALSO 

I'm wondering how early one would have to get there to either park along the fence around Ernie Hicks -- or to park in one of the few spots up along Jones Chapel behind the middle school lol. Those 20-30 combined spots will be prime realty lol.

6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm wondering how early one would have to get there to either park along the fence around Ernie Hicks -- or to park in one of the few spots up along Kents Ridge Road behind the middle school lol. Those 20-30 combined spots will be prime realty lol.

The New People's Bank parking lot overlooking Legion Field will be prime real estate, as well as the Rocks behind the stadium...but it looks like I will just bite the bullet and pay a subscription to the NHFS and just watch from home!

2 hours ago, SXSW said:

The New People's Bank parking lot overlooking Legion Field will be prime real estate, as well as the Rocks behind the stadium...but it looks like I will just bite the bullet and pay a subscription to the NHFS and just watch from home!

As well as the firing range above Mitchell Stadium, behind the scoreboard.  There is hope for 30 percent in March.  Some of the bigger stadiums will be able to seat most of their fans for regular season games.

6 hours ago, SXSW said:

I got NFHS back when basketball started to watch Richlands away games before the Tazewell County schools got their own cameras. 

I just put the game on my TV and then turned WGTH on with my phone and synced it up. 

Id rather be there... but this wasn’t a horrible alternative. 

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

I'm wondering how early one would have to get there to either park along the fence around Ernie Hicks -- or to park in one of the few spots up along Kents Ridge Road behind the middle school lol. Those 20-30 combined spots will be prime realty lol.

get yourself a BIGFOOT MONSTER truck, or rent a lift,just a question here, will GRAHAM have to go by the same rules or will they let the city of BLUEFIELD decide who gets in and the total atten. ?