250 for football!!!

VHSLhelper

11 minutes ago, VHSLhelper said:

149171531_1082617388832601_6129901483014

We have been talking about this for a while now.  Band and Cheerleaders are considered spectators, players get 2 tickets each for family.  Not leaving a whole lot for others.  I saw where one school system is planning to classify their band members and cheerleaders as "participants" to free up more tickets.  Rumor is 30 percent capacity at beginning of march.  

19 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

We have been talking about this for a while now.  Band and Cheerleaders are considered spectators, players get 2 tickets each for family.  Not leaving a whole lot for others.  I saw where one school system is planning to classify their band members and cheerleaders as "participants" to free up more tickets.  Rumor is 30 percent capacity at beginning of march.  

When you consider most schools have 60 kids in band, band-aids to carry equipment, and a half-dozen parents to chaperone, the band will eat up 100 of those tickets.

Of course I'm sure he threw out the caveat that localities can impose stricter guidelines if they choose to do so.  And I'm sure that a majority of my local school board -- who are either inherently smarter than everyone else on the planet or have access to better data than anyone else -- will stick with tighter restrictions.  Just like they did with winter sports.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

band and cheerleaders are know participants not spectators

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

Only in some school divisions.  Bristol City is one of them trying to do this.  School Divisions must submit a "safety plan" to the state of Virginia to allow cheerleaders and band.  Otherwise, if they are at the game, then they are spectators.  

https://www.wjhl.com/covid-19-keeping-schools-safe/bristol-virginia-schools-will-allow-cheer-and-band-members-as-participants-at-games-despite-state-covid-19-restrictions/

* side note.  This article says outdoor sports are limited to 30 % capacity for outdoor events like football.  Executive order 72 says 30% capacity or 250 spectators, whichever is "lower".  According to the executive order, cheerleaders and bands are considered spectators.  

1 hour ago, footballfanatic said:

Only in school divisions who are choosing to go against state guidelines. The state guidelines specify band and cheer to be considered spectators. 

4 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

Of course we know Mitchell is huge stands.  Anybody have an idea of capacity of other area stadiums?  Just trying to get an idea of what 30% could be for teams

This will tell you pretty much everything for every school in the state.

https://vhslreports.com/school_directory/

While allowing 250 sounds like it will help, it will also cause problems because not everyone can get in that needs to get in.  I'm not talking about the general fans, but family. Every student that participates, whether it be a player, manager, cheerleader, band member, or whatever, will not likely be able to get two people into the games, and tough decisions will have to be made by administrators. These decisions are not popular with everyone, and cause hard feelings. This pandemic has caused a tremendous amount of stress among us all, and having to decide who can attend and who can't is only going to add more stress in my opinion.

It still amazes me how it is acceptable to have 400 people indoors in a Walmart store and only allow 250 spectators outdoors at a football game.  

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

While allowing 250 sounds like it will help, it will also cause problems because not everyone can get in that needs to get in.  I'm not talking about the general fans, but family. Every student that participates, whether it be a player, manager, cheerleader, band member, or whatever, will not likely be able to get two people into the games, and tough decisions will have to be made by administrators. These decisions are not popular with everyone, and cause hard feelings. This pandemic has caused a tremendous amount of stress among us all, and having to decide who can attend and who can't is only going to add more stress in my opinion.

It still amazes me how it is acceptable to have 400 people indoors in a Walmart store and only allow 250 spectators outdoors at a football game.  

all political

10 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Narrows is zero too lol

I'm willing to give Narrows the benefit of the doubt.  Back when I was in middle school, they played AA ball while more often than not, having half the enrollment of their competition.

Riverheads is literally the opposite!  They hide a portion of their enrollment so they can play schools half their size. 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

I'm willing to give Narrows the benefit of the doubt.  Back when I was in middle school, they played AA ball while more often than not, having half the enrollment of their competition.

Riverheads is literally the opposite!  They hide a portion of their enrollment so they can play schools half their size. 

The state funding they receive is based on their enrollment.  They seem to always be just under the cut-off.  I wouldn't think they would give up revenue, just to compete well in sports.  But, that is the rumor.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Agree...was just pointing it out

11 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The state funding they receive is based on their enrollment.  They seem to always be just under the cut-off.  I wouldn't think they would give up revenue, just to compete well in sports.  But, that is the rumor.

Where there is smoke, you usually find fire.