250 for football!!!

VHSLhelper

2 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

The state funding they receive is based on their enrollment.  They seem to always be just under the cut-off.  I wouldn't think they would give up revenue, just to compete well in sports.  But, that is the rumor.

The overall enrollment number drives the state and federal funding, so it’s easy just to shift boundaries to keep schools at a relatively equal size.  See also: Charlottesville/Albemarle County.

Augusta County has 5 HSs, so it’s easy to hide.

8 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

The overall enrollment number drives the state and federal funding, so it’s easy just to shift boundaries to keep schools at a relatively equal size.  See also: Charlottesville/Albemarle County.

Augusta County has 5 HSs, so it’s easy to hide.

Gotcha.

31 minutes ago, footballfanatic said:

riverheads should be AA, but hey they like beating up on smaller schools.

True Story.  I was talking to an assistant coach from Riverheads several years ago at a family gathering, after they had won a controversial state title game over J.I. Burton.  Not sure why he was there, I think he came with a family member to go fishing (we were at the New River).  I didn't go to the game, but saw the hi-lights.  He asked me for my thoughts.  First, I told him that I thought Burton was ripped off because of the unsportsman like conduct call after a touchdown scored by Burton late in the game was bogus.  The kid from Burton scored and gently flipped the ball toward the referee... the ref threw a flag and gave Burton an unsportsman like conduct penalty, which forced them to go for 2, instead of 1 for the tie.  Needless to say, they missed it and ended up losing the state title game by 1 point.  I also asked him how Riverheads was able to stay A, with AA numbers.  I told him that their record would be much different, if they had to play the likes of Graham, Richlands, Giles, Gate City, etc.. Needless to say, I think he was expecting me to praise Riverheads success, but heard quite the opposite.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:13 PM, sixcat said:

Only in school divisions who are choosing to go against state guidelines. The state guidelines specify band and cheer to be considered spectators. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think JV teams are even allowed to be there. Richlands put out a long list of rules today that includes the home band sitting in the softball area and visiting band on the tennis courts. Band parents are allowed to bring lawn chairs and sit in those areas, but are not allowed in the stands. Ten feet between cheerleaders. Spectators must sit in specially marked seats 6' apart, not take off their masks, and so on.

26 minutes ago, THS6805 said:

I was told today. I don't know for every school. Tazewell is open to 1,000 spectators next week. 

The way it reads, it doesn’t pertain to high school. Only college and pro sports. High school athletics are considered “recreational” and are still capped at 250...

The 1,000 spectator or 30% criteria is only for designated "outdoor entertainment venues" across Virginia, such as Busch Gardens or Colonial Williamsburg.  It does not include high school venues.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/02/24/capacity-limits-expanded-for-outdoor-sports-and-entertainment-venues-in-virginia/

4 minutes ago, sixcat said:

The 1,000 spectator or 30% criteria is only for designated "outdoor entertainment venues" across Virginia, such as Busch Gardens or Colonial Williamsburg.  It does not include high school venues.

https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/02/24/capacity-limits-expanded-for-outdoor-sports-and-entertainment-venues-in-virginia/

Yep.... 

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

If challenged in a court of law, classifying high school sports differently than all other outdoor recreation, despite being identical in terms of function, Northam’s Amended EO-72 would be declared unconstitutional as to high school sports.

12 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

If challenged in a court of law, classifying high school sports differently than all other outdoor recreation, despite being identical in terms of function, Northam’s Amended EO-72 would be declared unconstitutional as to high school sports.

I honestly haven't given it much thought until now.  Human nature being what it is, our concerns tend to be self-serving to a large degree.  At least in the sense of where we are in our daily lives and how "COVID times" have affected those daily lives.  My larger concern at the moment is pretty far from high school sports.  My daughters haven't been in band, class or extracurricular, since March 23, 2020.  To say the least, I am disappointed in the Galax School System.  They are seemingly bending over backward to make sure games are played, practices are held, and conditioning is undertaken for athletics.  They have yet to make any such concession for other 50% of the student body that don't play sports.  My daughters have put in a lot of hard work, practice and expense in an activity they thoroughly enjoy.  My oldest daughter plays 7 instruments (guitar, mandolin, piano, ukulele, banjo, fiddle, sax).  Her frustration is overwhelming.  My younger daughter is frustrated but she is far more laid-back.  She doesn't show it as much as the older one.  

There is no excuse for these kids to not be able to get together in small groups to play music.  Galax could and should do better!

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I honestly haven't given it much thought until now.  Human nature being what it is, our concerns tend to be self-serving to a large degree.  At least in the sense of where we are in our daily lives and how "COVID times" have affected those daily lives.  My larger concern at the moment is pretty far from high school sports.  My daughters haven't been in band, class or extracurricular, since March 23, 2020.  To say the least, I am disappointed in the Galax School System.  They are seemingly bending over backward to make sure games are played, practices are held, and conditioning is undertaken for athletics.  They have yet to make any such concession for other 50% of the student body that don't play sports.  My daughters have put in a lot of hard work, practice and expense in an activity they thoroughly enjoy.  My oldest daughter plays 7 instruments (guitar, mandolin, piano, ukulele, banjo, fiddle, sax).  Her frustration is overwhelming.  My younger daughter is frustrated but she is far more laid-back.  She doesn't show it as much as the older one.  

There is no excuse for these kids to not be able to get together in small groups to play music.  Galax could and should do better!

Naturally, Northam's illogical Executive Orders will receive the most attention as they pertain to high school sports, given the nature of this Board and what interests the majority.  But the arts have been done a grievous injustice by how these orders have been constructed.  Losing a solid year of music (choir, band, or orchestra) is a severe detriment for the kids' musicianship in addition to how it impacts college prospects of doing the same.  Those kids work just as hard as any athlete on any team to hone their craft, and they've been virtually forbidden from it.

Post from Pulaski Co Schools few days ago:

Pulaski County Public Schools
Pulaski County Public Schools' Response To Governor Northam's Amended Executive Order #72 
Pulaski County Public Schools received notice last week that Governor Ralph Northam has amended executive order #72 in a way that reduces the number of potential spectators at football games and prohibits public schools from counting cheerleaders and band members as participants/players. The amended order is forcing schools throughout the state to choose between excluding band and cheer from participation or reducing the number of parents who can attend these events.  We are opposed to the restrictions imposed by the amended order for the following reasons:
1.  The order is discriminatory in that it diminishes the role of predominantly female groups of student athletes and musicians, who are essential participants in the football game experience, by classifying them as spectators.  
2.  The order is not grounded in the science that we currently utilize in implementing Covid mitigation strategies.  We know from experience that we can safely put 1000 students a day into our high school with classrooms at 80% capacity by masking and social distancing. Counting band and cheer as participants in addition to 250 spectators would still leave our football stadium, an outdoor venue, at less than 5% capacity. 
3.  The order is arbitrary and capricious.  There is a noticeable lack of consistency in how executive order #72 establishes expectations for outdoor venues.  Public beaches and amusement parks are afforded much more leeway and allowed incredibly higher attendance rates than high school stadiums which have been relegated to the category of community rec programs.  It's a designation that is insulting to our extracurricular and co-curricular programs while tying the hands of local governments to meet the needs of their communities.
Pulaski County Public Schools will abide by the guidance set forth in the amended executive order #72 while exploring available options for challenging it such as seeking a legal remedy through the courts or requesting a Title IX investigation regarding the possible gender discrimination aspect.  It is our sincerest hope that Governor Northam will reconsider his decision and include band and cheer as participants when new guidance is issued at the end of the month.  Our teachers and coaches are doing incredible things to create positive experiences for kids and our students deserve the same effort from their state government.  
Pulaski County Public Schools appreciates the overwhelming amount of support that we've received from throughout the state over the past week regarding our original plan to classify band and cheer as participants.  It is our hope that these individuals and others will exercise their right to reach out to the Governor's office to advocate for equal consideration for all student athletes and musicians as his administration works to develop new guidance that will go into effect on March 1, 2021.

5 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

The way it reads, it doesn’t pertain to high school. Only college and pro sports. High school athletics are considered “recreational” and are still capped at 250...

I can see that. This came from one of the players. I was going see what everybody else was hearing.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:36 PM, Red Rabbit said:

Riverheads welcomes all comers , No one wants to play the Red Team !

Dear Pink Rabbit...

Oh, in about 1986 or so, I went with a couple of friends to a beer can convention in Freddiesburg one weekend.  On the way home, after a 48-hour drinkfest, coming down I-81, everyone in the car needed to "lose liquid".  We pulled off an exit, in the middle of nowhere south of Stan-ton, to find a place to drain our swollen bladders.  With nothing around but a school, the three of us pulled into a school parking lot and proceeded to write our names on the wall of said school.  Found out a few years later that was the home of the Glade-e-ators. 

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

G

6 minutes ago, GMan said:

Dear Pink Rabbit...

Oh, in about 1986 or so, I went with a couple of friends to a beer can convention in Freddiesburg one weekend.  On the way home, after a 48-hour drinkfest, coming down I-81, everyone in the car needed to "lose liquid".  We pulled off an exit, in the middle of nowhere south of Stan-ton, to find a place to drain our swollen bladders.  With nothing around but a school, the three of us pulled into a school parking lot and proceeding to write our names on the wall of said school.  Found out a few years later that was the home of the Glade-e-ators. 

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

G

Gives “Riverheads” a whole new meaning!

https://pcpatriot.com/pulaski-county-schools-announce-plan-for-outdoor-fall-sports-outdoor-activities/

Pulaski County means business.  Consulting a legal team and finding a way to get more than 250 in the stands.  They plan 3 simultaneous events.  A marching band concert, cheerleading performance and a football game.  Each event with its own section of the stadium.

15 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

https://pcpatriot.com/pulaski-county-schools-announce-plan-for-outdoor-fall-sports-outdoor-activities/

Pulaski County means business.  Consulting a legal team and finding a way to get more than 250 in the stands.  They plan 3 simultaneous events.  A marching band concert, cheerleading performance and a football game.  Each event with its own section of the stadium.

Just saw an entire thread about this.  My bad.